Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Pregnancy & Relationships
  5. How did you tell your toddlers ... ???

How did you tell your toddlers ... ??? Lock Rss

Hi! I'm currently 6wks pregnant & have been thinking alot about how Jaida's going to cope with the new arrival. I know it's a loooong time away & we probably won't bring it up until I'm around 5 mths & start showing, but was just wondering how some of you explained the "new baby" to your toddlers & how did they take it?

Thanks!

Jaida (6), Ameli (2) & Lacey (2mths) - SA

My daughter is now 2.5 and I'm 35 weeks pregnant. We told her when I started to show. She has a baby born doll and we said that one was growing in my tummy. I was surprised that she understood and she was fine. I've also involved her in getting the baby's room ready and asking her what toys, etc she wants to give to the baby.
I don't have any children but I have 9 neices/nephews who've seen my big belly develop (this is my first baby). Although they've seen their Mom's pregnant (I don't know what they told them about their bellies) but when my neice asked me only a couple of days ago why I was getting so fat I told her I had a baby in there. She was so surprised - even though she knew we were 'getting a baby' soon. My nephew who's Mum had a baby only 6 months ago thought he was going to January (he doesn't know it is a month) to pick the baby up. lol.. I think it's important to let them know the truth.. even if you think they're too young. They might just understand!! I found it was good also to help them pick presents for their new siblings. When my latest nephew was born I took all the kids shopping and they all helped pick blankets, socks and clothes. It was really cute and they got so excited.

~ Samira

Samira ~ 23/Sydney. Mom to Zayn born 26th July

hey kirsty congratulations ... i remember reading in another post that you were trying to get preg!! I am so happy for you!! I have seen a book called 'there's a house inside my mummy' ... it is very cute!! An enjoyable read i think!!

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

With our 2nd we told our son who was just a little over 2yrs right from the start and he seemed to understand. This last time our daughter was only 11mths when we found out so she never really understood what was happening but she did towards the end. Our son understood since he had experienced it all before.

I always planned to tell my kids from the time we found out...which was always arounds 4 weeks!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Oh...and we just told them straight...it's amazing how much a toddler understands!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hi!

A friend of mine is 7 weeks ahead of me & had a little bump at 13wks so I pointed to her belly & told my little boy (2yrs at the time) that she had a baby in there. we were still keeping bubs #2 a secret but we took him home & told him that I had a baby in my belly & asked him where his baby was. He pointed proudly to his belly & said in there! This worked well because he was finding out his body parts & what they do.

I'm now 24wks & Seth blows raspberries on my belly & says that he's tickling baby. He puts his mouth on my belly and talks to the baby & now he puts his hand on my belly & tells me where the baby is kicking. It's so cute!

We also moved Seth into his own "special nemo bed" (a single bed with Nemo quilt) before we told him about the baby (a week after he turned 2) and have moved his cot to the baby's room. He now says that's baby's bed in baby's room. And his car seat was replaced by a booster seat just recently so his old car seat is baby's seat. It's a slow process but I too am worried how he'll handle having to share his mum & dad with someone else. He's doing really well & I'm less & less worried about the arrival of bubs.

Hope this is helpful!

CJ, SJ 3/03, AJ 11/05, PJ 4/08

We told our son straight away before anybody else. He was only just 2. Now he thinks everybody has a baby in there stomache and he hugs and kisses mine all time.
I'm now 22 weeks and showing quite alot. He thinks it great!

Lisa, Vic, 2 1/2 yr old son,

Sign in to follow this topic