Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. choroid plexus cyst do you know??

choroid plexus cyst do you know?? Lock Rss

I have just found out that my bubs due in march has choroid plexus cyst on the brain.

Has anyone had this befor or know of anyone who has had a baby with it. As i need help to understand why its happend and what it can do to my baby.

I was told that i needed another scan at 24 weeks cause i am 20 weeks now and then another one at 32 weeks to see if my placenter has gone up. I also had blood done today and my doc said something about a needle in the belly (i may not have it).

plaes tell me it is going to be ok?????????

pamela

TTC a baby girl
https://www.facebook.com/Homemade.by.pamela

hey pamela
sorry to hear about your baby hope everything turns out okay. i havent experienced this in my pregnancy but i just wanted to help you out.
i found this website about choroid plexus cyst if you would like to check it out. http://www.med.unc.edu/nursing/programs/women/womens.ed/english/Choroid%20Plexus%20Cysts.pdf

take care
paula

Kayla Elizabeth (10/1/06) Mummy''''s Angel

I found this on a web site and have copied and pasted it, hopefully it will make you feel more at ease. It really annoys me that people are sent home from ultrasounds having been given news about some abnormality but are not given any information. My baby was a high risk downs at an early scan and they were so negative that I was a mess for days.

The choroid plexus is an area of the brain that is not involved thinking or personality. Rather, the choroid plexus makes a fluid that protects and nourishes the brain and spinal cord. When a fluid-filled space is seen in the choroid plexus during an ultrasound, it is called a choroid plexus cyst (CPC). "We don't know why, but between 1 and 3 percent of all fetuses will manifest a CPC at 16 to 24 weeks of pregnancy," says Dr. Roy A. Filly, a Professor of Radiology and of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Sciences and Chief of the Section of Diagnostic Sonography at University of California, San Francisco. CPCs can be found either on one side of the brain (unilateral) or both sides (bilateral). They can vary in size and shape, from small and round to large and irregular. Some fetuses have more than one.

Regardless of their number, shape or size, choroid plexus cysts are not harmful to the baby. "I am not aware of a single instance where a CPC caused damage to a fetus," says Dr. Filly.

Dr. Peter Doubilet, a Professor of Radiology at Harvard Medical School, agrees, "That's one very important fact. CPCs are not harmful, and they nearly always go away by the third trimester of pregnancy."

Hope all is well and that you can get back to enjoying your pregnancy.

Nikki, Brissie, mum of 3,

Two of my friends have had this happen to them. Both cysts went away and their babies were born perfect.

One of the friends had an amnio needle to make sure it was not a marker for Down syndrome (I am not sure why she thought this) and went through alot of stress only to find that baby was fine and the cyst had gone away at the next ultrasound.

A very stressful time but try not to worry to much.

Hayley, NSW, Liam 07/02, Beth 09/04, Nate 03/06

Hi there Pamela

I had my dr phone me yesterday to see if I had had another scan after my 18week one, now being 28weeks I told her that I hadn't. She explained that the 18week scan showed some small choroid plexus cysts and it is suggested that I have another scan in the third trimester. I phoned the clinic and they organised another scan for this Friday. I did a little research yesterday and most of these cpc's disappear between about 24-28weeks.
Lets hope this is the case for us and aybody else who has been told this news. I also read about a women who had been told her baby also had these cpc's and they did an amnio and she lost her baby who turned out to be fine. I am not trying to scare you but I would avoid an amnio, unless it was absolutely necessary.
Lots of women seem to come away with healthy bubs.
I can let youknow what my scan on friday shows if you like.
Sign in to follow this topic