Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. just finshed seasonal work need another job

just finshed seasonal work need another job Lock Rss

hi im only 18 i have just come from a seasonal job im looking for a job but i go to interviews and people wont employ me because im preggers. can any one suggest a job that would be suitable for me im 24 weeks pregnant

thanks
I think that it is illegal for people to discriminate and not give you a job because your pregnant.

When you are getting a benefit from centrelink, you must continue looking for work until you are 36 weeks. So obviously the government thinks you are employable. I am not sure what is suitable for you I guess it depends on what you are qualified or experienced in. Many employers have a policy in place that woman should go on maternity leave 4 weeks before their due date and if they don't they have to have a certificate to say they are fit to work. Many work up to their due date so I'm not sure exactly what the regulations are.

I finished my work contract at 20 weeks when preg with number 1 (I was commuting to Sydney - 4 hours travel a day) and I joined up for benifits from centerlink at 30 weeks as I had no success at finding a job and the employment agencies were no help. They gave me the impression that they had better things to do I ended up going off the benefit. It was more hassel than it was worth - they wanted my to go for interviews in Sydney and in all honesty people wern't interested in employing me at that stage as I was not planning on working past 36 weeks.

I guess you can try centrelink and see what they say.Best of luck.

Hayley, NSW, Liam 07/02, Beth 09/04, Nate 03/06

I was working for Centrelink, for the Dept of Families, and when I told them I was pregnant at 18wks, I had about 4 weeks left on my contract. I went on a holiday I'd planned for about 6 months, and was not told whether or not my contract would be extended (this was a week before it was due to end) I came back on the Tuesday, and was informed Friday would be my last day, due to 'Reliability and changing personal circumstances', I found it very ironic that the very department that has been put in place to help people who are having children would do this. Needless to say I was the only person in the entire office who was let go.
Since then (as this happened at 22weeks) I went on about 3 job interviews per week, and felt even though I didn't have to, I would be honest about being pregnant with the employers. Now at 34 weeks I have completely given up even looking.
I finished high school, I went to college and got a diploma, I held down a job in a government agency until I told them of my pregnancy, yet the second I was honest about it, I have found myself unable to get even part time work.
For all pregnant people out there looking for work, good luck, I can only advise that you are not legally required to inform prospective employers you are pregnant, as it has absolutely no effect on your working abilities.
Sign in to follow this topic