Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. raspberry leaf and evening primrose

raspberry leaf and evening primrose Rss

Hi there
Does anyone know when u can start taking raspberry leaf tablets? Also I heard about putting evening primrose tablets up ur bits.... What is the effect and when to do?
Thanks for ur help ladies

ds3yrs dd2yrs ds9mths

I started taking them at 30weeks, but i now drink the tea as tablets cost alot more then the tea, plus the amount of tablets you have to take is just crazy!!!! from what i have heard the tea is just as good.

yes i have heard that too. and im going to try it if it'll help make this bub come on time. the evening primrose tablets help to soften/ripen your cervix. i think you start that at 36 weeks(unsure about that 1)

Paige 23/5/06 Tyler 27/11/08

thanx for that. i heard the tea tastes terrible.... do u like it? i also thought it the other way round and had to drink more tea than tablets........

ds3yrs dd2yrs ds9mths

"bump"
just to see if anyone has any more info......

ds3yrs dd2yrs ds9mths

As far as RL goes I started on the tablets (Blackmores was the only brand I could find) at 30 weeks on recommendation of both my OB & naturopath. Unfortunately you need to take 3 tablets 4-5 times a day (bottle of 84 for $10.50) and to me they are repulsive. There is a brand called Herbs are Gold which come in a bigger pack for around $18.

So I have started drinking the tea which I really like- just 3-4 cups a day and I get 25 tea bags for $3.95- much better option in my opinion. (Also I'm not a fan normally of herbal teas, but this is so easy to drink).

EPO again on advise I have started at 35 weeks (normally 36 weeks) 2 orally & 2 pricked with a pin inserted into the vagina as close as possible to the cervix- best do it at night & wear a pad to bed cause it gets a bit messy.

Goodluck!!

i love the tea, only 3 cups a day. thats better then 3pills 3-4times a day i think anyway.

Paige 23/5/06 Tyler 27/11/08

where do you get the tea from, is it a health food shop item or from the chemist.

thanx for the advice. i will try the tea i think.
is it weird putting the epo up ur bits?? does it dissolve or fall out in the morning when u go to the loo. sorry if tmi!!! smile

ds3yrs dd2yrs ds9mths

Just so you know - EPO - you are meant to take 1000mg orally and 1000mg internally. I was told start orally at 36 weeks and internally as well at 37, but i don't think it matters. I have read that it doesn't actually start labour unless your body is ready to start, it just helps the natural process. In some brands of tablets this means 2 tabs (some come in 500mg tabs) but others are 1000mg already so you only need to take one at a time. And it does dissolve, but as someone else said, it is best to wear a pad as some of it leaks out! Good luck.

thanx for the info geoffamelia.
did u find the EPO did help? i will definately do the raspberry leaf, i did last time but haven't tried evening primrose.

ds3yrs dd2yrs ds9mths

I started taking RL tablets last week. I know they might be more expensive, but I'm gagging on taking the tablets, let alone forcing myself to drink the tea!! Have you checked the concentration on the tea to make sure it's the same as the tablets? I heard that the tea isn't as concentrated as the tablets, and you'd have to drink a HEAP of tea to get the same benefits as the tablets. I just found this info by looking at Google...

"""How is Raspberry leaf taken?

Raspberry leaf can be taken in tablet form, teabags, loose leaf tea, or as a tincture. Raspberry leaf can be purchased from many health food stores or from a health care practitioner. Due to the limited research on raspberry leaf - the ideal preparation and the ideal dosage is not known at this stage.

Tablets - Take two 300mg or 400mg tablets with each meal (three times a day) from 32 weeks.

Teabags - 1st trimester- one cup per day -2nd trimester - two cups per day -3rd trimester - up to 4 to 5 teabag cups throughout the day.

Loose leaf tea - Bring one cup of water to the boil. Remove from heat and add one teaspoon of the herb. Stir, cover and let sit for ten minutes (do not boil the herb), strain and sip. Adding sugar or honey many improve the taste. 2 to 3 cups per day is often recommended especially after 28 weeks of pregnancy.

Tincture - A tincture is an alcoholic extract of the herb raspberry leaf. The dosage will depend on the strength of the tincture."""

So looks like if you drink the tea in bags, it's 4 or 5 a day... does it say that on the box?

Also, how has everyone gone with the EPO? I've been hesitant to try this internally due to the ick factor! I think I might get some this weekend and start using it - I'll be 36 weeks. What do you ladies think??

Karen
i took the tablets last pregnancy and had heard u had to drink a lot of the tea...

i reckon give the EPO a go and let us know how u get on smile

ds3yrs dd2yrs ds9mths

Sign in to follow this topic