Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

questions? Lock Rss

ok so question 1 * at how many weeks preg do braxton hicks start and how do i tell them apart from contractions ?
i never had them with my 1st so i wanna know what to expect and not panic if they happen this time around

question 2 * i am 21 weeks preg today and already have big amounts of colostrum ( for some reason although my son is 5 and i only BF for 3 months i have never really been fully dry so to speak sorry tmi ) my boobs are very soar and full and are even starting to leak sometimes. I am hand expressing about once a day just to get some relief but not sure if this is the right thing to do as it prob just brings in more milk but i am worried about leaving it and getting masstitis

Two beautiful boys making a more beautiful world

#1- braxton hicks can happen at any stage, mine started at 16 weeks and have been getting stronger and more frequent (im 24 weeks)they feel like a tightening across your belly.

# 2- id try to stop expressing, the more u express the more you make, talk to your midwife on what to do here im not an expert so i cant give u much adivce on the topic, maby u could try to put cold washers on your boobs to relieve the tenderness??

cant wait till my 3rd lil princess is born

#1- braxton hicks can happen at any stage, mine started at 16 weeks and have been getting stronger and more frequent (im 24 weeks)they feel like a tightening across your belly.

# 2- id try to stop expressing, the more u express the more you make, talk to your midwife on what to do here im not an expert so i cant give u much adivce on the topic, maby u could try to put cold washers on your boobs to relieve the tenderness??

cant wait till my 3rd lil princess is born

#1 - I didn't notice any BH at all with my first pregnancy. With this one - it has really been noticable the last 4 weeks (so I started to notice them at about 32 week mark) but as pp said, everyone is different, there is no set time they begin. They feel like your tummy is being tightened up, the further along you get the more you'll notice it (as your belly is really stretched already). You will know the difference between them and labour contractions - trust me! If you've been thru labour before there is no mistaking the difference.

#2 - I agree with pp - stop expressing the milk, it will only increase the amount your body is making. Try warm wash cloths, or showers to help relieve any uncomfortable feeling.
[item]Braxton Hicks start at about 6 weeks of pregnancy, although you don't usually feel them until later in pregnancy due you your muscles being stretched. The only sure way to differ them from contractions is by timing them, are they regular? Does it not go away when you ly down? Is it getting stronger? If yes then they ARE contractions and not Braxtion Hicks. [/item][item]STOP expressing, you will only make more milk and will have to keep expressing more and more over time to get that same relief. Try some massaging in the shower and talk to your Midwife. Until you have your next app with your midwife just gradually cut down on expressing... don't just stop altogether otherwise they will feel more sore[/item]

I'd stop expressing if i were you. i was told it can bring on contractions.
thanks gals as ui said i am omly expresesing once a day and its only by hand but i have app with midwife today so will talk to her . i always like to ask here 1st its less in your face dont feel like such a weirdo lol

a haven't had much tummy pains but i sometimes get sharp pains that come and go similar to contractions but they are down in my tail bone and sometimes my ( umm not sure oif the term to use sorry ) outter lip TMI !!!!!! it bloody hurts when i get them there

could these be a form of braxton hicks or should they be something more to worry about ?

my son was born 2 hrs total with simple full on contractions and no pre or braxton hicks plus i hemoraged so i don't feel i have a true sense of what contractions feel like my body was in such shock . hoping things go better this time

thanks for the help ladies

Two beautiful boys making a more beautiful world

Sign in to follow this topic