Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Whats the earliest gestation Lock Rss

Posted by: Bec456
in Perth a friend of mine there friend had a baby born at 20weeks and survived

Geez Bec you might want to get your friend to contact world records coz my google effort just showed up THE world's most premature living baby, born at 21 weeks and six days (2007)

link

Bec your friends baby mustve been on the bigger side of the scale for the amount of weeks it was. As for wanting them to intervene part of me says yes part of me says no. As much as I would like to give my baby a chance there are soooooooooo many things that can occur due to bubs being born too soon and the earlier they are the worse the prognosis usually is.
Does anyone know how old that bubs was born in Qld who celebrated her first birthday the other day....

They had her on the news and said she was no bigger than her fathers hand.... she was tiny....

Truly amazing.

ill have to ask my mate i know it was at least under 24 weeks i swear she said 20 weeks but i could be wrong 100% sure it was under 24 weeks but.

it is 24 weeks... before that they will not do anything to save the baby UNLESS there is a miracle chance the baby keeps breathing on its own or keeps fighting

Of course I would want them to do all they could for my baby... providing it meant my child would be healthy and have a great quality of life. Unfortunately in the majority of cases this is not so if bubs is born younger than 24 weeks. I don't recall a baby being born that young in WA surviving and being healthy. I might be wrong but I was pretty sure no baby had survived under 24 weeks in WA. Heartbreaking for the parents of course.
Is everything ok noahsmummee? PM me if you have more questions if you like. I can find out through work.
my heart would want them to save a baby at 10 weeks ...but my head says that is not right !!

born really early they have poor lung development and have a high chance of being blind ..a whole list of complications can occour ...but still ...my hart would nto shut up and it would want them to save it at any gestation !!
Posted by: Juddsmum
Posted by: Bec456
in Perth a friend of mine there friend had a baby born at 20weeks and survived

Geez Bec you might want to get your friend to contact world records coz my google effort just showed up THE world's most premature living baby, born at 21 weeks and six days (2007)

lin k

the old "friend of a friend" story...

I used to work in a neonatal unit and there were bubs in there born at 22 and 23weeks, some did ok others not so well, I doubt very much that a 20weeker would survive, you're friend prob had her dates wrong or something or concieved earlier in the month than she thought.

well my friend lost her bub at 21.5wks, and the hossy refused to resus. her heart was beating for 10 whole mins, and cause she didnt take a breath on her own, and she did not weigh the limit (she was like 35g shy of the min weight, if that....) they just would not try, they just let her slowly die.

our hospitals policy is 23 wks or 400g, i think. my friend was absolutely devistated that they woudnt even stop her labor, cause her waters had broken. my SIL's waters broke and they left her for a few weeks with the freshly made waters just slowly trickling out as it was topped up, so her baby could go further along. yet they did not do it for my friend (mind you SIL's birth was like 7years ago, nearly 8)

now she is celebrating cause she is 31wks pregnant with the baby concieved on the original due date of her angel girl. and yes, its another girl.
[Edited on 11/01/2009]

double post sorry
[Edited on 11/01/2009]
Im not sure what it is here in NZ I was born at 32 weeks in 89 and that was considered pretty amazing then times have changed now though.

Must be such a hard thing to go through the hours spent in the neonate unit and the not knowing.

My sil wee boy passed away sleeping a month after the was born he was a month early. Is sids more common in prems?

My sil is now pregnant and due in april so far so good fingers crossed for her and your friend "amy n nikita'
Sign in to follow this topic