Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Whats the earliest gestation Lock Rss

Hi,

When i was a student nurse in VIC. I did a clinical placement at the Royal Childrens Hospital, Melbourne. NICU, neonatal intensive care unit. The youngest we had was 23 weeks & 2 days gestation.
I had placenta previa with my last pregnancy and had a big bleed at 23 weeks and when I rang my OB (private hospital) he said to go to bed and stay there. Needless to say I was beside myself and couldn't work out why he didnt want to see me straight away.

The following week when I went for my appointment he told me that he couldn't do anything with a 23 week pregnancy that isn't looking viable (and he didn't want to tell me that on the phone) which is why he told me to rest and go to bed. He then went on to tell me that seeing as I had hit 24 weeks it was 'all systems go' and if I had more bleeds to call him immediately and head to KEMH (Perth's 'baby' hospital) as he could not deliver anywhere but KEMH before 34 weeks.

I now have Alexis who is four months old and born 4 weeks early due to a massive bleed at 36 weeks.

I think in NZ 24 weeks is now considered viable. It used to be 28, but I think we have caught up a bit now. Not sure, could be wrong though.

Posted by: AMY n NIKKITA
well my friend lost her bub at 21.5wks, and the hossy refused to resus. her heart was beating for 10 whole mins, and cause she didnt take a breath on her own, and she did not weigh the limit (she was like 35g shy of the min weight, if that....) they just would not try, they just let her slowly die.

our hospitals policy is 23 wks or 400g, i think. my friend was absolutely devistated that they woudnt even stop her labor, cause her waters had broken. my SIL's waters broke and they left her for a few weeks with the freshly made waters just slowly trickling out as it was topped up, so her baby could go further along. yet they did not do it for my friend (mind you SIL's birth was like 7years ago, nearly 8)

now she is celebrating cause she is 31wks pregnant with the baby concieved on the original due date of her angel girl. and yes, its another girl.
[Edited on 11/01/2009]

they probably couldnt stop the labour due to the waters breaking at such an early gestation and the chances of something going terribly wrong if baby survives (like baby being brain damaged) far outweigh the chances of baby being healthy if she survived.
i hate to say but a baby being born that early even if they did survive for a little while would most likely pass and if not on its own then the parents would have to make the heartwrenching decision to take the baby off the support.
i think that is why they dont try to resus at such an early gestation.
well my friend lost her bub at 21.5wks, and the hossy refused to resus. her heart was beating for 10 whole mins, and cause she didnt take a breath on her own, and she did not weigh the limit (she was like 35g shy of the min weight, if that....) they just would not try, they just let her slowly die.

our hospitals policy is 23 wks or 400g, i think. my friend was absolutely devistated that they woudnt even stop her labor, cause her waters had broken. my SIL's waters broke and they left her for a few weeks with the freshly made waters just slowly trickling out as it was topped up, so her baby could go further along. yet they did not do it for my friend (mind you SIL's birth was like 7years ago, nearly 8)

now she is celebrating cause she is 31wks pregnant with the baby concieved on the original due date of her angel girl. and yes, its another girl.
[Edited on 11/01/2009]

they probably couldnt stop the labour due to the waters breaking at such an early gestation and the chances of something going terribly wrong if baby survives (like baby being brain damaged) far outweigh the chances of baby being healthy if she survived.
i hate to say but a baby being born that early even if they did survive for a little while would most likely pass and if not on its own then the parents would have to make the heartwrenching decision to take the baby off the support.
i think that is why they dont try to resus at such an early gestation.
I heard some hospitals base it on the weight of the baby also. One story I heard was anything over 300gm birthweight and they would take all measures possible for the survival of the baby.
wicki - we were told 23wks and 400g. nics baby was 9 days shy of that mark, by ultrasound, and weighted 365g before stomach clip.

LMP dates put her at 23wks 2 days if i remember right, but cause she had irrecgular periods, they disregarded this and went by ultrasound.

we all knew in the end it was the kindest thing to do, and that there would have been massive complications if she had of made it thru that first hour even. but it still doesnt make it hurt any less for her. and the amount of times i have taken her up to hospital with this pregnancy.... wow, its alot. scans every 3-4 weeks, urine and blood tests fortnightly, bedrest for majority of it cause she went into preterm labor at around 20 wks again.

but now, even though bub may still come very early, at least she will be safe, having now got to 31wks.

Amy, if you waters broke at that many weeks, the baby is too young to re-produce the fluid fast enough for the baby to survive... especially if it has been a complete rupture. How far along was your SIL when her waters broke? It sounds to me she was only having a slow leak and not a complete rupture?
she was 26 wks when it broke. and it was a full rupture. but there was other problems too. she spent 3 wks in brisbane having her labor stopped before having a csect at 29wks. he was severely undersized due to an insufficient placenta. he is now in primary school and still very small for his age

i might add, they transferred him home at 33wks (4wks post birth), to stay in this hospital till they let him out. i think he was about 8wks old when he went home. he was only about 800g at birth from what i remember. cause they keep saying, less than a tub of butter lol.

ive seen photos, and he was almost like burnt yet seethru skin. he was a very sick boy. but i think she was producing just enough waters to keep him in there, till he started to stress. and while she was in hospital, she was not allowed off the bed at all. bed baths, and bed pan lol. she hated it, and did it all without bubs father! as they had split up after he beat her in early pregnancy
[Edited on 12/01/2009]

Posted by: Juddsmum
Posted by: Bec456
in Perth a friend of mine there friend had a baby born at 20weeks and survived

Geez Bec you might want to get your friend to contact world records coz my google effort just showed up THE world's most premature living baby, born at 21 weeks and six days (2007)

lin k

lol yeah, I was going to say that my friend had a prem baby about 3 weeks ago. She was born at 23 weeks and 5 days gestation and the doctors at PMH told her that she's the second earliest prem baby to survive in WA. The first prem baby was just under 23 weeks, I think. Kayla had a slim surivial chance being almost 24 weeks, so I don't think a 20 week gestation baby would survive....
Oh, and she's T-I-N-Y!!! Smaller than a little doll! So adorable....

i have two sets of twin nephews 1 from my side of family and one from hubbys side
and both sets were born at 26 weeks due to twin twin transfusion my hubbys side have a few developmental probs and a op on smaller ones malformed penis but nothing serious which is very lucky as there is high risk of serious probs and not sure about my side as they are still in NICU they are only 1 month 6 days old and fighting along.
the bigger twin may need to have heart surgery for his heart valve as it hasnt closed yet.so there are many probs even at 26 weeks gest so i guess thats why they try and keep them in as long as they can.

but back to the question the earlest i have heard is 23 weeks gest.
she was 26 wks when it broke. and it was a full rupture. but there was other problems too. she spent 3 wks in brisbane having her labor stopped before having a csect at 29wks. he was severely undersized due to an insufficient placenta. he is now in primary school and still very small for his age

i might add, they transferred him home at 33wks (4wks post birth), to stay in this hospital till they let him out. i think he was about 8wks old when he went home. he was only about 800g at birth from what i remember. cause they keep saying, less than a tub of butter lol.

ive seen photos, and he was almost like burnt yet seethru skin. he was a very sick boy. but i think she was producing just enough waters to keep him in there, till he started to stress. and while she was in hospital, she was not allowed off the bed at all. bed baths, and bed pan lol. she hated it, and did it all without bubs father! as they had split up after he beat her in early pregnancy
[Edited on 12/01/2009]

It is sad but your other friends pregnancy just wasnt viable. The amount of times we have had women come in with ruptured membranes before 24 weeks and having to deliver a stillborn, its really upsetting. But unfortunately trying to save a baby under 24 weeks is almost impossible. You may get the rare case but in your friends case where the baby was too small to reproduce its own fluid fast enough to keep it alive

Thats really sad about your SIL. Big hugs to her for going through what she did
Sign in to follow this topic