Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Lying on back?! Rss

Hi ladies,

I'm 22 weeks pregnant, and am finding it more and more hard to get comfortable. I find I am most comfortable when I lay on my back. This morning I recieved an email with pregnancy tips from another website, and it said that from 20 weeks you should avoid lying on your back! But it didn't give any reason!

Has anyone heard this before? and can anyone tell me why this is?

Thanx

Amy & daughters Jada 10/07/06, Alana 07/04/08

Hi Amy

They say not to lay on your back because your uterus can block a large vein that carries blood back to your heart and therefore can restrict the amount of blood that gets to the baby. If you don't find it uncomfortable, I wouldn't worry too much. I started feeling uncomfortable on my back around the 24 week mark - my legs would get a little numb and I'd feel short of breath. You'll notice it if it's a problem. One of my friends had no trouble at all.

If you're worried, ask your doc/midwife.

smile
Hi there,

If possible lay on your left side (right side also find), it's the best position for your baby to get oxygen and blood supplied to him/her. Lying on your back (as one other lady said) is actually quite bad for you and baby after 20 weeks.

It can stop the flow of blood and oxygen to your baby and can start squashing you organs, which can lead to problems with the kidneys etc.

If you can get a tri-pillow and lay on your side with it under your tummy and between your knees to relieve some strain.

Hope this helps.

RuthNZ

Sign in to follow this topic