Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

babies room? Rss

does anyone have some good ideas on how to do a babys room up with little to spend?

catherine mum to tasmin and Liam

I got a stick on wall border from target it was amazing what a differnce the bright pictures all the way around makes...

Maybe even a coat of paint?

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi

It didn't really cost much to do up our nursery at all. I think the furniture is the most expensive bit so if you have that you are half way there. I chose a Winnie the Pooh theme and went to Spotlight and got wall transfers. I think they were only about $25 for 40 transfers. I got window transfers for $5. Then I got a theme cot manchester set from Target on special (and they have 40% off manchester right now). I just went plain navy lined curtains which my mum sewed for me (about $60 in material) and have added the colours with the transfers, manchester etc. I then got three plush Winnie the Pooh toys from Mr Toys for $20 each and they are lined up on the tall boy. Excluding the furniture I think it cost me between $100 and $150 to do a fully themed nursery.

Best of luck and hope these ideas are of help

Jo

Ryan (2) & Jayden (18mths)

Hi Catherine,
Depending on what you need to do to the room, if painting is required, what i have done is sponged the room a lemon colour which requires a very small amount of paint to do. my bubs room is about 3.5m x 3m and it only took a 500ml pot of paint to sponge it. I found with my daughter that paint effects are better on walls with small children as the marks they leave from constantly touching walls arent as obvious as they are on a plain painted wall. I have chosen to make the curtain tiebacks, co-ordinating bedding for the cot etc myself as it works out alot cheaper and I can get a better choice of mix and match fabrics from Spotlight. Iam painting the cot and rocking chair that my daughter had to give it a new look and to match. Furniture wise I have just bought a tall pine bookcase as they are great for putting toys and bits and pieces on ( $55 Target) we just have to fix it to wall for safety. and we are getting a set of wooden drawers which would be the most expensive thing in the room. You can then just add pictures that you can make yourself. Ive bought cheap pine photo frames ($6-$8) and either found really nice cards to make pictures or used cutouts of co-ordinating fabrics, Wicker baskets are cheap to use as toy boxes or storing baby bedding. Then just add the soft toys. I hope what I have been doing provides you some inspiration. Good luck

Dawn,WA ,Chloe 3.5, Danielle born 17th dec 2004

Hi,
I to went the Winnie the Pooh Theme. We gave the room a coat of yellow paint, we picked it up pretty cheaply from the hardwear store for about $25. We then used foam cutouts of winnie the pooh and his friends around the room. It looks great. The cut outs were only $2.50 each or 5 for $10. We picked them up from a clothing store and one fo those stalls that sets up at the malls in the holidays.
I think in total to decorate the walls it cost between $90 and $100 and it looks fantastic. We picked up some discontinued winnie the pooh curtains from target for $18.95 when they were $50. The furniture is the most expensive but there are pleanty of great bargains around. I set up a hanging toy net in one of the corners and filled it with teddies that have been given to us for baby and some that were still in great condition from my old teddy collection. The toy net was only $4.00 from target. Hope this has given u some ideas! HAPPY DECORATING smile

Karina, S.A, mum to Kaleb born 25/07/04

Hi Catherine,

The absolute cheapest and most effective way to do up a baby's room is too keep it simple. You can use stuffed toys to add colour to any room. If you want a colour theme just pick a few colours you like and buy plain linen, curtains ect...

For my little boy due in the next few weeks we have stuck with cream curtains and cream walls, then added a Winnie-the-pooh theme...

I have put a framed picture of Winnie-the-pooh and friends up on the wall ($19.95 at one of those discount type stores) Put a Winnie-the-pooh quilt cover on the single bed in the room. Kept all my cot bedding cream with a touch of blue and added a few Winnie-the-pooh stuffed toys to the room.

I bought Winnie-the-pooh drawer handles from Target and put them on the chest of drawers... probably cost about $30 to do that...

I asked friends if they wanted to buy anything for the baby to buy Winnie-the-pooh stuff for the nursery and ended up with a cot mobile that matches.

Just a few tips for you...

Michelle
Gee, I must be the only person not to have a Winnie theme! LOL I did think about it....anyway, like everyone has said the most expensive part of the nursury is the furniture, however you can often pisk up bargains on Ebay and also in your local paper. Someone, somewhere is always selling a cot! Or, you can do as we did and get a cot that turns into a jnr bed and then into a couch, so it is always a piece of furniture and not just a cot.

We also got stick-a-rounds and loads of stuffed toys and mobiles galore coming out of the ceiling (not over the cot though) It makes me laugh, this $3000 that the Government is paying out to people now....that would not have "set" us up.

Good luck and have fun whatever you do!

Jo

mum of 1

THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!
this has been great i never thought everyone would have so many different things to do!
the only prblem is we rent its the biggest down fall in my eyes not to be able to do a babys room. i have to run will be back to get more idaes soon this has been great thank you all again!!
P.S. any ideas on a room when you rent?
thans bye

We have rented when we have had our babies. I have done four baby's rooms now, and it is a bit limiting to have to decorate without being able to paint or 'build-in'. I have used Winnie-the-Pooh 'Stick-arounds' peel-off wall decorations and cot linen for one room. With a mobile and a few soft toys, this is enough to make an impact without overkill! Plain curtains or blinds are good as they will grow with the child's future decor. I have done my little girl's room in different coloured tones of gingham. With plain pink linen and coloured gingham cushions, calico dolls with gingham dresses and a runner for the dresser. I also made gingham tie-backs for the curtains - it is only around $3.00 a metre. Stripes and checks also work well for boys. To brighten up walls I have stretched fabric panels over artists canvases (from the dollar shop) and hung them in sets of four, or patterned ones on their own. (use a staple gun to secure). Then make cushions and accessories to tie in. I love using rugs to make 'zones in their rooms. You can get bright rag rugs in all colours from places like 'Choice' or "Stacks'. This also protects the floors a bit. If you are using a theme like Pooh Bear, pick out a couple of colours from the linen and make accessories from those colours - like cushions, tie-backs, rugs, toy crates, dresser knobs etc. Have Fun!!

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi
I have to agree with you about using Gingham when decorating a bubs room, it looks really good and is so cheap. I did that with my little girl, I used yellow check as we didnt know what we were having, and cause it was cheap i didnt mind when it came time to have to change it according to her taste...its now all fairies and butterflies!! but if id spent a fortune on 'proper' baby designed linen curtains etc I wouldnt have wanted to change them due to costs involved. With this bub as we dont know what it is, we have gone with plain yellow curtains and the tie backs, cot bedding im making out of mandarin and yellow gingham with sky blue piping. I love the winnie the pooh stuff but i feel it has a limited life span. By just adding the colours and toys you can easily and cheaply change it as they get older and their interests change. I found that from experience of painting teddy murals on chloes wall and then haing to paint over it.

hello
this is all sounding lovely, but i have to say i have never really attempted anything crafty. i do like it i just never really did anything.
do any of these great idaes come with a book telling how to do this your do you come up with it yourself. i seem to have a lot of time on my hands lately and would like to do some of these things ready to use after we have moved.
thank you

I love all the decorating and making stuff, I tend to search the internet for babies rooms, nurserys etc and also websites for different shops that sell nursery items as they always have a picture of the room perfectly done up and you can get ideas from that. The colours ive picked for bubs room i got the idea from Mama's and Papa's website in the uk. they had a nursery set called jenny giraffe that was those colours but its expensive so im using the colours in my own way to createsomething similar. You can also go to websites like better homes and gardens etc that have factsheets online with instructions on how to make different things. Hope this helps. Cheers

Sign in to follow this topic