Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. why is high protien levels in urine bad?

why is high protien levels in urine bad? Rss

just curious what high protien levels in urine means. i had it and was induced at 38wks but i havent been told its affect. they told me it was bad for the kidneys and thats all they told me. is it preventable? we are trying for our 2nd bub and if i can avoid getting pre-eclepsia this time i'd love to know how.

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hi Chelby

I was induced due to pre-eclampsia. I only had a trace of protein in my urine occasionally however my blood pressure was through the roof. The protein indicates that your kidneys aren't functioning properly and it can lead to kidney failure if nothing is done - ie being induced. My doctor told me the good news is that it is more common in first pregnancies but unfortunately as they don't really know what causes it there's not much you can do to prevent it. I suppose the best you can do is eat heaps of fruit and vegies and take your folate so you'll be as healthy as possible. The other thing my doctor said was that you are less likely to get pre-eclampsia second time round if the father is same for both children, he said they're not sure why but it could be something to do with immunity. I hope this has helped. All the best with conceiving - have fun smile !!!

Take care
Jasmine
hey chelby
i suffered from serve pre eclampisa and was told because i had it at an early stage in my pregancy it will happen again i suffered from about 21 weeks..
protien is bad for the kidneys, as jasmine says is ture..the kidneys actually filter the protien out, but when u start to get a bluid up off protien that is when u can go into renal faliure, the kidneys and other major organs begins to shut down.....its quite serious....

karen,NSW, mummy to Caitlin Born 14 weeks early

so does this mean as soon a we have our bubs and arent preggas that this conditon goes away or does it need to be checked??

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hi Chelby

Yes, after you have your baby the condition does go. That's why they tend to induce you as the only cure is delivering your baby. I was put on medication for my blood pressure the week before my son was born and after I had him my blood pressure started coming down and after about 2 weeks it was back to normal and I was able to stop taking the medication. I was also retaining a lot of fluid during pregnancy and I was really swollen all over and that took about a week or two to clear as well. At my 6 week check up my obstetrician said everything was back to normal. I hope this has helped.

Take care
Jasmine
hey chelby
jas and i had had much simlar pregancies
and shes totally right about the protien mine cleared up stright away but my blood pressure didnt i was on medication for 6 months after i had my daughter...it went back to normal for about 3 or 4 days after i had her then it rebounded up which is common in some pregancies......
any other questions just ask us!
kaz

karen,NSW, mummy to Caitlin Born 14 weeks early

Sign in to follow this topic