Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Antenatal checkups? Rss

I am just curious to know if the father, partner or support person attents all the antenatal classes, with the mother.

I am 25 weeks pregnant with our first, my husband came to the first few and to hear the heartbeat for the first time, and to all the scans, but he cant always get the time off work to attend the checkups. He ofcourse will make it to the classes.

Is it common for the father to always attend the checkups, when I go to the ob clinic there are always lots of preggies but they are mostly alone. Should he start to attend with me as we move into the third trimester????

Just curious as to what people think about this???
Hi Bulabula,

Of course it would be great for your husband if he could attend the check-ups, so he can hear the baby's heartbeat and know whats happening etc, but that's not always possible. My husband has not been to many of my check-ups because of work (but he has been to all ultrasounds and pre-natal classes), but I just fill him in when I get home.

If you're not too comfortable going by yourself, you can take a friend or relative with you.

If everything is going ok, then the check-ups are generally blood pressure, urine checks and the Dr will feel the bub's position. Not much else happens, so it's not vital your husband is there.

Hope I have helped!

Tracey
Firstly, congrats on your pregnancy. I was the same as you, my partner couldn't always get the time off work to come with me. He attended the antenatal classes, came to the ultrasounds, but only came to the first visit with the midwife. I found that chekups were fairly routine and that my partner wasn't missing too much. I also found it really good as it was an opportunity to talk to the midwife about anything I was embarrassed about talking about in front of my partner, or questions that I thought may have seemed silly. If you feel you need someone with you, maybe take a friend or family member. Wish you all the best of luck.

Sam and Hayley and bub

Sign in to follow this topic