Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

First time mum to bes Lock Rss

wimble - congrats on the pregnancy! lucky you for not getting MS. its horrible hehe! do you want to find out the sex of bubba? 9months isnt too far outta schedule, the first few months dont really cost much extra than normal. just nappies and wipes and if you're using cloth nappies (like me...i use disposable at night and cloth during the day) its cheap as. dont even use a 20 pack of nappies a week.

Keirasmummy! - ohhh that is so cute! out your diddle lol grin. cutie!!!!

Zinkles - likes farex..what a good boy. what vegies are you starting him on? i started blake on fruit but only cause i was eating a banana and he was watching me so gave him a lick and he loved it. then i thought oh dear hes not going to like savoury foods so gave him some carrot and whamoo....he loved it! will have to look at the pureed foods at the super market to find out what else i can puree up. so much cheaper to do it myself.

wimble - congrats on the pregnancy! lucky you for not getting MS. its horrible hehe! do you want to find out the sex of bubba? 9months isnt too far outta schedule, the first few months dont really cost much extra than normal. just nappies and wipes and if you're using cloth nappies (like me...i use disposable at night and cloth during the day) its cheap as. dont even use a 20 pack of nappies a week.

Thanks! smile No, we're going to have a surprise, I'm happy waiting tongue

I'm sure the MS will hit me - I bet I've jinxed myself and it'll come tomorrow morning with a venegance! I'm hoping that I take after my Mum though, she didn't really have MS at all with me or my brother...FX it's genetic!

It's more the loss of income from me not working that will hit us the hardest, with paying the mortgage, bills, etc on DH's income alone. Luckily my employer gives me an additional 12 weeks of full pay once the Government's 14 weeks' PPL is up, as long as I return to work for at least 6 months afterwards, otherwise I have to pay it all back! So that will help out a fair bit smile

Then there's buying all of the baby-related items such as a buggy, cot, etc...the list goes on! blink
Welcome wimble!

as for the buying of stuff.. once you get past the safe point.. slowly buy stuff, we did it and it didnt even make an impact on us - I think if we left it for the last 10 weeks or whatever it would have.

We got our pram from ebay.. about 500 cheaper than retail and it was only used for a week.. and we bought a pack of nappies every fortnight for the whole last trimester- so far its working perfectly! and from what I can tell so far(only 2+ weekss with our little man) they dont use that many clothes - 2 changes a day so far, and 2 blankets a day:)
Gee, I'm getting so nervous. We go up to the hospital on Tuesday with the op on Wednesday morning. It's getting so close and it's scary unsure

wimble - Welcome and congratulations!
Baby stuff can be really expensive. Do you know anyone with a baby who is willing to give you their stuff? That's how we got a lot.
Are you in NZ or Aus?

**one-little-man** - I usually give Vinnie Farex with water, but a couple of days ago I gave it to him with milk and he wouldn't eat it. So I'm happy with that. Makes things easier on me. I tried him on carrots the other day and he wasn't particularly impressed. But I am now going to hold off on giving him new foods until we get back from the hospital.

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

Thanks! smile No, we're going to have a surprise, I'm happy waiting tongue

I'm sure the MS will hit me - I bet I've jinxed myself and it'll come tomorrow morning with a venegance! I'm hoping that I take after my Mum though, she didn't really have MS at all with me or my brother...FX it's genetic!

It's more the loss of income from me not working that will hit us the hardest, with paying the mortgage, bills, etc on DH's income alone. Luckily my employer gives me an additional 12 weeks of full pay once the Government's 14 weeks' PPL is up, as long as I return to work for at least 6 months afterwards, otherwise I have to pay it all back! So that will help out a fair bit smile

Then there's buying all of the baby-related items such as a buggy, cot, etc...the list goes on! blink

Welcome wimble! Congrats on the pregnancy!
You can get things cheap off the internet, borrowing-if you can and sales..ahh baby sales.. roll eyes Plus, if you have a big family and group of friends..theres always the presents!
As for buying nappies, i had to give away alot of the newborn ones id brought, cos by 7 weeks babys wee ghetto booty was in crawler sized naps!

**one-little-man**-Kids are by far some of the funniest people on the planet, i love the things they come up with out of no where. My nephews mum is due this week, and he thinks theres a baby in his tummy too..how adorable!

Gee, I'm getting so nervous. We go up to the hospital on Tuesday with the op on Wednesday morning. It's getting so close and it's scary unsure

Aw, i feel for you. Just remember Vinnie will be fine, hes with the professionals. GBH's! Hoping he recovers verrry quickly!
xx
Hey girls, should be 3-4 more weeks until DS is Home smile I can't wait!!

He weigh's 2666gram's now tongue He's doing good, other then being in oxygen still. I am doing better (I guess) then I was 4 weeks ago.

I just noticed, when DS is going to be 1, I will be 21! How lucky is he to have his b'day in '10 because it's going to be easy to remember his age tongue (Just like my age)
Thanks for the welcome! I'm from New Zealand. Yep, I think TradeMe will be my favourite website for a while when it comes to picking up baby bargains smile We have a few friends who are already on the baby train but they're not finished having their own kids so I don't think we'll be able to borrow anything, maybe a bassinette at the most? I'm also the first in my family to have a baby, although my two sisters-in-law both have kiddies, but one falls into the category above (due with #2 in 9 days' time) and the other would probably rather sell her things on TradeMe to the highest bidder rather than help us out! sad

Just wondering how many packs of newborn nappies you all went through? I had planned to buy a pack of either nappies or baby wipes at each week's shopping or maybe every fortnight, to spread the cost. But when I was at the supermarket yesterday I noticed that the size up from newborn (was it "infant"?) were sold in either boy or girl packs, and since we're not finding out what flavour we're having I can't stock up on the next size! Advice?

Also, what were the best wipes for you? My boss swares by Huggies fragrance free wipes and only uses Huggies nappies on her kids, so I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

...Just wondering how many packs of newborn nappies you all went through? I had planned to buy a pack of either nappies or baby wipes at each week's shopping or maybe every fortnight, to spread the cost. But when I was at the supermarket yesterday I noticed that the size up from newborn (was it "infant"?) were sold in either boy or girl packs, and since we're not finding out what flavour we're having I can't stock up on the next size! Advice?

Also, what were the best wipes for you? My boss swares by Huggies fragrance free wipes and only uses Huggies nappies on her kids, so I'd be interested to hear your opinions.

I think the newborn/infant nappies are dependant on the size of your bubs - we bought 3 packs(54x) of newborn nappies before he was born as we were unsure how quickly he'd move on to the next size. Blake is 3 weeks tomorrow and we're about to crack into a 4th pack - but he was born 6Ib12oz, and im guessing he might still be in newborn for another 2 weeks(his tummy is getting quite big even though he doesnt have much bum).

I bought some budget/homebrand wipes.. and theey were HORRIBLE like wiping him with a kfc sanitary wipe... I think we have the huggies onces at the moment(80 pack) and I think its the second pack we're on too..
its good to buy quite a few of these as they will always come in handy/good to have one in the car/baby bag etc..

Since your in NZ - Gilmores or Moore Wilsons will most likely have cheap bulk packs of nappies and wipes smile and look for sales! easter sales in nz are always fab and id imagine you could pick up heaps then smile
BabyBlueBird - good to hear you are both doing well. Home in 3-4 weeks! How exciting!

wimble - uummm I can't remember how many newborn nappies I went through, but I remember that we had to give some away... I would suggest buying two or three small packs and leaving it at that.
Also, the gender thing depends on what nappies you buy. I use a brand *cough*treasures*cough* that is gender neutral and find that they are great.
As for wipes, I think you would be wise to stock up on them. You use so many!! I use Huggies fragrance free. They're great. And often on special at Countdown. I would also suggest getting the pop-up tubs for them. Very handy.

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

wimble - i think i used 1 box (106 nappies) of newborn and one 20ish pack. Blake was only a few weeks old when i moved up to the next size nappies.

i use treasures nappies aswell. they're a little cheaper and im a bit of a tight a$$ lol. i use 'silk' baby wipes, you can buy them in blue, green or pink. but theres no difference between the blue and pink wipes....the green ones are fragrance free though. i found huggies wipes to be too thick.
where abuts in NZ are you? i've bought most of my 000 and 00 clothes from trademe (after i realised they grow out of them so fast) i brough most of the big things brand new...like the pram, carseat and bassinet and a few clothes. i got my cot off trademe and quite a few toys aswell, i paid $6 for my activity gym with toys lol.

BabyBlueBird - OMG 3-4 weeks!! that is soooo exciting! he looks like hes doing so well in those photos! haha definately easy to remember your birthday....same with me lol.... 21 this year and Blake will be 1.
Zinkles- im exactly the same lol, treasures nappies are the best & huggies wipes, buba loves playing with the pop up tub cos it has poohbear all over it.

wimble- i think i used about 4 or 5 packs (of treasures nappies)newborn sized and about 10 out of a big boxof huggies nappies (108 i think?), but i was back in hosp at the time and my house was an hour away so most of my nappy supply was home not getting used and mum was buying nappies 5 mins down the road. i ended up giving away most of the box, i didnt like the huggies nappies anyway..sorry huggies lol.

BabyBlueBird-thats great news!

Any of the babies talking much yet?
Sign in to follow this topic