Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

First time mum to bes Lock Rss

Hi,
I'm new to the site!
Found out a few days ago we are expecting, GP said it is due about 25th September.
This is our first baby and although excited also very fearful!
Havent had any symptoms except sore boobs and a bit of an unsettled tummy so far.
I can't really beleive it and keep thinking its not real, especially with no scan to see until 10 weeks or longer!!
Apparently I won't hear from the midwife until around 10 weeks (says my GP) (?????) so I guess I am on my own til then, which is why I've signed up to the site.
He gave me folic acid - does everyone take any other pregnancy supplements if their 1st bloods were OK???

Hi,
I'm new to the site!
Found out a few days ago we are expecting, GP said it is due about 25th September.
This is our first baby and although excited also very fearful!
Havent had any symptoms except sore boobs and a bit of an unsettled tummy so far.
I can't really beleive it and keep thinking its not real, especially with no scan to see until 10 weeks or longer!!
Apparently I won't hear from the midwife until around 10 weeks (says my GP) (?????) so I guess I am on my own til then, which is why I've signed up to the site.
He gave me folic acid - does everyone take any other pregnancy supplements if their 1st bloods were OK???

Welcome and grats!
Elevit(its a pill that you can pick up without a prescription from chemist) is a great cocktail of stuff that you need during pregnancy, including folic acid. For now just eat healthy and be happy, as its all you can pretty much do at this stage... have some ginger cookies/tea/lemonade around just incase morning sickness kicks in - this usually starts around 7-9 week mark smile

Nostrum - exciting!! I was as far along as you are today when my wee man decided to pop out smile - not that I had the hard after EDD wait, I highly suggest aiming for 10days after EDD as the go for date as stress at this time can make labour longer - something to do with a release of hormones

onelittleman- Blake is an awesome name eh? - dont worry I didnt steal it, when we first found out I was preg in april last year, it was the first and only name we could come up with for a boys name smile

Totally hilarious watching the reactions of the doctors and midwives we've seen in the last week when we tell them that Blake has rolled over copious amounts of times (he started at 3 weeks) as apparently the a goal for the 3 month period... for you's that have had their bubs - when did your wee ones roll?
BabyBlueBird - aww look at him go. he looks so lively in those photos. are you still expressing? if so is he getting the idea of latching onto your boobie?

Nostrum - 3 hours...wow thats a long drive. no doubt your mum will do it in a heartbeat....my mum left the hospital at 4.30am (after i'd given birth) so she had been awake for a hell of a long time....then she drove home (an hour away) slept for 20mins then off to work. mums are great things hehe!!

Sept25? - aww congrats!! thats so exciting. where abouts are you from? are you planning on finding out the sex of bubba?
folic acid is a must as your body needs something like 90% more of it when you're preggo. i didnt take any other pregnancy supplements, i thought about elevit but it was real expensive. i didnt have to worry about eating right either...because i craved fruit and veges lol so my diet was rather healthy for most of my pregnancy. as for the 10 day over thing that MissDevilMonkey mentioned....it sucks. i went 12 days over if it helps ease your mind a little. most first time mums give birth between weeks 40 and 41.

MissDevilMonkey - awesome name!! i never even thought that you had stolen the name from me. i remember you mentioning you liked the name aswell when i first said i liked it. im quite proud your little mans Blake! my Blake rolled from his tummy to his back at about 4 weeks (but he did it on our bed so i thought maybe it was the softness of teh mattress that did it) but he did it heaps on the floor at 6 weeks. still cant go from his back onto his tummy though. he was holding his head up without support before we even left the hospital though
MissDevilMonkey - Vinnie used to hate having his pants off too. Such a pain when it comes to nappy changes! He's alqways loved his baths, but used to cry as soon as you took him out
I thik Vinnie was rolling around 3 months. He can roll both ways, but sometimes his arm gets in the way when he's rolling from back to tummy.

**one-little-man** - The doctors say his scar will be pretty much invisible once he gets older. Don't know if that's a good thing or not. It means he won't have a big scar, but he won't get to show off either lol.
Vinnie hasn't been on his tummy since the surgery, but he was starting to wriggle around and he tries to get his knees up under his tummy.

BabyBlueBird - How is your PND coming along? Is it getting any better? James is growing so fast! Those pictures are so cute!

Sept25? - Congratulations! I don't know about anyone else, but it still didn't feel completely real for me when I was holding my son in my arms lol.
I took folic acid and some supplements to help with morning sickness, but that was it.

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

Dyl and I did a tour of the labour ward today. So exciting, lol.
My sweet man wouldn't stop making silly comments, and kept cracking up the midwife giving the tour. He asked if we could bring a laptop in (for me afterwards), explaining he might be halfway through a good movie, and wouldn't want to miss the end. She said if I promised not to sue, she'd boot him up the bum for me.

Happy, because all the birthing suites have baths in them. smile

I really can't wait!! I've been having heaps of Braxton Hicks the past two days, and it feels like Jellybean is testing my cervix. I can feel it nudging, almost like a really soft pushing/jerking/suckling motion, very different to hiccups or anything.
hi all
i have been on this site for a few weeks now but somehow missed this thread smile
im almost 18w with my first. wow, when i write it down it feels like it has gone rather quickly!
not sure what im having yet but will find out at my 20w scan on the 8th of feb. i have absolutely no idea what it is. i get told its a boy cos i popped at the bottom not the top but honestly im not sure i believe the old wives tales. as everyone says, i would like a healthy baby!
im 22 now and will be 23 when i have bubs. i work full time and as of march will be back at uni full time (well until i pop of course!). im studying nursing and lot of my friends are doing midwifery so i often get given loads of 'helpful' advice.
my baby daddy and i are not together and im preparing for life as a single mum. anyone else in the same boat??
ooo i have blabbed on for long enough! smile
Hi girls smile

James is not BF anymore, I stopped when he was 5 weeks old (Due to my PND and it was stuffing me up and all)

He is cute grin I bathed him today :3 I love doing his bath's tongue Though, at his 6 O'clock feed, (Before his 6 O'clock feed I done his nappy) and at his 6'ocklock decided to do a big smelly nappy grin and he vomited on mum lolz

Oh and full bottle feeds every day now

BabyBlueBird - aww look at him go. he looks so lively in those photos. are you still expressing? if so is he getting the idea of latching onto your boobie?

Nostrum - 3 hours...wow thats a long drive. no doubt your mum will do it in a heartbeat....my mum left the hospital at 4.30am (after i'd given birth) so she had been awake for a hell of a long time....then she drove home (an hour away) slept for 20mins then off to work. mums are great things hehe!!

Sept25? - aww congrats!! thats so exciting. where abouts are you from? are you planning on finding out the sex of bubba?
folic acid is a must as your body needs something like 90% more of it when you're preggo. i didnt take any other pregnancy supplements, i thought about elevit but it was real expensive. i didnt have to worry about eating right either...because i craved fruit and veges lol so my diet was rather healthy for most of my pregnancy. as for the 10 day over thing that MissDevilMonkey mentioned....it sucks. i went 12 days over if it helps ease your mind a little. most first time mums give birth between weeks 40 and 41.

MissDevilMonkey - awesome name!! i never even thought that you had stolen the name from me. i remember you mentioning you liked the name aswell when i first said i liked it. im quite proud your little mans Blake! my Blake rolled from his tummy to his back at about 4 weeks (but he did it on our bed so i thought maybe it was the softness of teh mattress that did it) but he did it heaps on the floor at 6 weeks. still cant go from his back onto his tummy though. he was holding his head up without support before we even left the hospital though

It is super exciting! Not sure whether to share the news, we've told family but no friends as yet (cept for my bestie.) I'm dying to share the good news but I know its better to wait argh!
I'm from central Auckland, and YES I am going to find out, am far to impatient to wait.
I picked up some Elevit on the weekend. I thought better to get something like that, as I am a veggie (not strictly, but still..) Intersting I am off chocolate since preg??!! ...
Hope I'm not late. would love a Sept baby. I guess I will find out better on the 1st scan at 12 weeks.
My partner still doesn't quite beleive it, he's not keen on sharing the news til later on, more scared than me I suppose because he can't feel all the crazy things goin on in there! But he's keen for many more.. HAH we'll see!!!
How did everyone elses partners react???

It is super exciting! Not sure whether to share the news, we've told family but no friends as yet (cept for my bestie.) I'm dying to share the good news but I know its better to wait argh!
I'm from central Auckland, and YES I am going to find out, am far to impatient to wait.
I picked up some Elevit on the weekend. I thought better to get something like that, as I am a veggie (not strictly, but still..) Intersting I am off chocolate since preg??!! ...
Hope I'm not late. would love a Sept baby. I guess I will find out better on the 1st scan at 12 weeks.
My partner still doesn't quite beleive it, he's not keen on sharing the news til later on, more scared than me I suppose because he can't feel all the crazy things goin on in there! But he's keen for many more.. HAH we'll see!!!

if you're from central auckland does that mean you default to starship hosp?

my hubby and I were the exact same - lay on the bed and had feelings of excitement followed by crying - repeat cycle for a day! We didnt tell other people until the 'safe' point of 12 weeks

if you're from central auckland does that mean you default to starship hosp?

my hubby and I were the exact same - lay on the bed and had feelings of excitement followed by crying - repeat cycle for a day! We didnt tell other people until the 'safe' point of 12 weeks

Hmmm my doc kind of just decided for me.. national womens.. happy with that though, thats where I was born.
Dont think my boy quite believes it yet. It happened so fast.
Haha sounds like me.. one minute so excited i think I am going to burst then so scared and panicky!!
We've told family but its kind of gotten round to a bit of extended family too. And I'll tell my close friends I think, becuase if something did happen it will be nice to have the support.

It was a bit of a shock for him. I had about two weeks of morning sickness before we decided to take a test (i happened to get a bad dose of the flu only a day or two before my morning sickness, so we initially thought it was just a baaaad flu).
I had more of an inkling than him, because once it entered my head, all the symptoms lined up. But for him he didn't get to think out all the internal things.
He actually got grumpy for the first day, that I hadn't realised I'd missed a period. But I'd put it down to my cycle being off kilter from coming off the pill. All of a sudden, a few months before I fell pregnant, my body reacted to the pill and acted like I was preg. My doc was actually convinced I was pregnant then, and had me do a blood test when the pee stick came back negative. Which was another reason I realised I was probably pregnant, because I felt the exact same as before I stopped the pill.

We've told family but its kind of gotten round to a bit of extended family too. And I'll tell my close friends I think, becuase if something did happen it will be nice to have the support.

I did it the other way around- told my friends before my family, LOL! I was scared to tell my Mum.
But I told my close friends as soon as we found out at 8 weeks, because I wanted the support if the pregnancy went wrong.
One of my friends tried to get angry at me for not waiting til 12 weeks, and I said "What, so you'd rather me grieve the death of my unborn child on my own?" That shut them up.
Sign in to follow this topic