Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

First time mum to bes Lock Rss

Horrible night last night sad Vinnie woke up at 12 for a feed. I fed him. Lots of crying as has become the usual deal (he gets wind really bad since the surgery). He wouldn't go back down so DH tried rocking him to sleep. About 30 mins later I thought perhaps we could go for a car ride to get him to sleep. He went to sleep but as soon as DH put him in his cot he woke up. So I fed him again and finally got him back to sleep at 3.15am!
So tired!! Really wish I was asleep right now

KeirasMummy! - I use water with the Farex anyway. I wanted to see if he would eat it with water and he did. One day I tried making it with milk and he wouldn't eat it. Which I am very happy about because it means no expressing so he can eat. I tried him on avocado on monday and he hated that too. I'm thinking I might try putting just a tiny bit of carrot with his Farex today and seeing how that goes.... Wish me luck

DH got addicted to TradeMe a while back. It was horrible. He spent all of his time on there and he was always buying stuff! And then there was Ebay for a while too...

BabyBlueBird - I'm so excited for you! I hope all goes well at Parentcraft!

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

KeirasMummy! - I use water with the Farex anyway. I wanted to see if he would eat it with water and he did. One day I tried making it with milk and he wouldn't eat it. Which I am very happy about because it means no expressing so he can eat. I tried him on avocado on monday and he hated that too. I'm thinking I might try putting just a tiny bit of carrot with his Farex today and seeing how that goes.... Wish me luck

DH got addicted to TradeMe a while back. It was horrible. He spent all of his time on there and he was always buying stuff! And then there was Ebay for a while too...

Aw poor Vinnie, when Keira wouldnt settle cos of wind i had drops (infacol or something?) which i gave her before a feed, she would do huge burps after and sleep much better.

Keiras decided if its not apple its not going down lol, she wont have anything other than plain farex with my milk or water farex and apple puree. I only added a tiny bit of pear today (a wee bit more than yesterday) and she spat it out. I tried her on a banana and mango one, which she ate at first but has recently decided there will be no more of that mush going in either. I always make it bland cos i know its very new to her but she knows what she likes already lol, dont blame her tho i hate pears too.
Oh no theres more of these sites?! I have to but clothes for bub but i get sidetracked lol im terrible.

BabyBlueBird thats so awesome!
Hes grown so much hes so cutee wub

I got my treasures mag in the mail today and the budedah has already half destroyed it lol! Shes gota thing for paper lol!
I know exactly what drops you are talking about, and have been thinking of getting them as I have some gripe water, but I can't get it into him...

How do you go about getting the treasures mag? And how much do they cost? Vinnie has a thing for paper too. When we get the mail in he always has to have a piece. I just give him the junk mail, or the envelopes once I'm done

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

haha papers a big winner with Blake too. so cute when they play with it.

BabyBlueBird - woohoo, go James! is he home with you now? how you liking it?

Zinkles - ohhh i hate those nights. Blake still wakes at least twice a night and he's been waking between 4 and 6 times for the past 2 weeks, but only woke twice lastnight.

i think most of us have been dow that addicted to trademe road before lol. i was a few months before i fell pregnant...and man did i spend some money. woopsies!!!

anyones bubs showing any interest in crawling at all? Blake isnt. he gets frustrated when he's on his tummy and pushes his toys out of reach...but thats it. no sign of crawling happening yet

Nostrum - sounds like a very intense little labour there. i thing the most not normal thing in my labour was finding a knot in the umbilical cord...other than that everything else was pretty boring........not that it was boring doing it all UGH!!
Yeah, it was pretty intense!
And yet Dyl says right at the peak of it all I said I'd come back and do it all again, so it can't have been that bad!

It's all such a learning curve though. The feeding, the nipples (seriously, she won't latch right boob without chewing the crap out of it), the short sleeps...
She's actually started some form of feeding pattern, so I can usually work around her. I can expect her to feed at midnight, 3:30am, 6:30am, and then 10am, so I get pretty good sleep thank god.
Plus a big milk supply means she feeds in about 15 minutes flat, lol. I normally take her off twice and burp her so she doesn't guzzle too fast.
**one-little-man** - Whenever Vinnie is on his tummy he tries to get his legs up underneath him. He can do it pretty well, but they don't stay there for very long. I am going to an infant movement class next month and am looking forward to learning something helpful. I don't know what that will be, but it sounds good.

Nostrum - Have you tried using a nipple shield? (Warning TMI) Vinnie once gave me a blood blister on my nipple. Sooo painful! And it was suggested that I try a nipple shield. It was great! You can get them from the chemist. Not sure how much they cost, but they are so worth it!

Zinkles-Keira wouldnt have a bar of the gripe water either, as for the treasures mag, i was getting them at the super market (under $4 a mag) but then i just subscribed for $20 (one mag every 2 months for a year) Im actually in this months one! The photo of me isnt the best tho i look bloated haha

Crawling..lol Keiras friend Lachlan is 2 months older than her and was crawling at 6 months! Keiras trying to get her knees up under her body, she scoots backwards on her back too lol

Nostrum-i read your story and a similar thing happened to me, The day i had bub i couldnt get up without everything turnung black, i tried to get up to go to the loo (with a nurse watching baby), she said not to lock the door which was lucky i didnt cos she had to hit the emergency buzzer for 3 nurses to pick me up and put me back on the bed. Then i got really really swolen, i had cankles and very fat fingers and hands and a round as face lol, i started feeling ok to walk sort distances so i went home 2 days later.
I was helicoptored back to hosp when bub was 6 days old, i was haemmoraging and it took LOTS of drugs to make the bleeding stop, then i was pumped full of course after course of antibiotics and blood transfusions. Its all very scary to think about.
I should have been worrying about staying alive but i was only worried about baby, although she coped just fine, she slept through all the excitement lol. Id still do it all again too smile
I remember the first time I was able to get up on my own after the transfusion, and pick Kylara up out of the crib. It was day 3 before I changed my first nappy, and I finally felt like a Mum, instead of watching a midwife do it all for me.

Zinkles- yep, I bought nipple shields on Monday after seeing the doctor. He said I was at risk of permanent damage if I didn't rest my right one. It's healed up now (yay, lanolin!), but my left is now damaged and I have to swap around.

Seeing a lactation consultant tomorrow. The early care midwife who came past the house on Tuesday said she was latching fine, so we'll see.
KeirasMummy! - Finally found a place to buy the treasures mag yesterday. Found your picture. Keiras just gorgeous smile

Nostrum - I know what you mean about the nappy changes. I lost heaps of blood and needed a transfusion too. I was so weak I could barely hold Vinnie at first. It made his first feed really hard! I had Vinnie on Moday at 6.27am and didn't get to have a shower until Wednesday. I felt so horrible that I couldn't even sit up for long periods.
I think my first nappy change was on the Thursday just before we left the hospital. I found it really hard only feeding him them passing him off, but by the time he had finished his feed I needed to lie down again. I didn't really feel like a mum because I wasn't doing anything except feeding him.

I was also told that Vinnie was latching properly, but the pain told me otherwise. I remember being told at the antenatal classes that if they are latched on properly it shouldn't hurt, but the nurses were telling me I was doing it properly and it hurt really bad! So ever since then I've used the nipple shields and I haven't had any nasty problems since.

o the whole breastfeeding thing.. i think sometimes the antenatel classes dont tell you everything.. when my bubs latches, it always hurts for the first minute and then nothing after that as the 'let down' has happened.

How is everyone going? Ive been okay.. hubby is a great dad, i'm just feeling a little neglected on the wife side...a well we'll find a balance soon - his excuse 'there's no time' my response ' there's always time'

Blake is doing well, hes got immunisations next week - totally not looking forward to them. hes been great - been rolling for just over 3 weeks now(front to back only) and has started to attempt to communicate with awesome talking, and he has selected his favourite teddy and talks to it more than he talks to me. The last 2 nights he has had his last feed at 7.30 - asleep by 9.30 and sleeps through to 5.30 smilesmile
Ugh. The only thing worse than the MWs telling me Ky was latched right was when I insisted she wasn't, and had three different MWs RAM her onto my boob until I was ready to scream.
I'm finding nipple shields are messier to feed with, though.

Scariest moment in hospital for me was being sat fully upright in bed and left to feed Kylara. At some point I'm pretty sure I fainted, because I suddenly woke up and realised I'd dropped her and she'd slipped off me. Thankfully the sides of the bed were up, so she couldn't fall off.
Zinkles-Hehe thankyou, i giggle at that photo, i probably could of put her in a dress or something girlie, instead she had one of her big cousins singlets cos it was soo hot, shes a funny girl she reaches for things that are yellow more than pink lol.

With me, i had Keira at 10.32am on 26th of august (a thursday) and wasnt able to get up for short bursts until friday night, they sort of forced me cos there were quite afew ladies on the ward by then, the first night mum stayed with me to put the buba on me to be fed and then she would take her and burp her and change her nappy etc, lucky for us buba slept for 6 hours strait so we got a good sleep. But i couldnt give her her first bath, i couldnt change her nappys til friday evening, i sat on a chair feeling really woozy and watched her have her bath though. I went home on that saturday still feeling faint when i walked but i thought it was normal after giving birth so i just stuck it out until the 1st of sept when i had to go back to hops for my transfusion, it was only then that i realised thats how i should have been feeling all along.

My new pic is of bubba and I when she was a day old, thats how pale i was!

As for the breastfeeding and latching the nurse that was looking after me kept saying she was on properly etc but i knew she wasnt, i was so sore i even blead a wee bit. Even tho my midwife put baby on the boob for me the first few times strait after she was born it was so hard trying to do it myself. When my midwife came back the next day she showed me how to latch baby BY MYSELF & PROPERLY but it was hard cos Keira would just suck strait on lol. I didnt really get the hang of it until she was about 2 weeks old.

MissDevilMonkey-Lucky you hehe good boy Blake, I wish the buddah would sleep for that long lol.
Sign in to follow this topic