Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

weight of bub at birth Lock Rss

Can u try and expect how much your baby will weigh according to how much you and your partner weighed when born ??

I read somewhere the gentics of it all does. Not sure how true it is though but:
Df was 8p something when born and i was 6p 4oz
DS1 8pd 3oz
DS2 7pd 7oz
I'm not sure it has much influence on your own bub. So many things can happen in uteros and once you are overdue, but grows pretty quickly.

My hubby & I were born 5lb something. DS was almost 9lb (6 days over) and DD was a good 7lb (6 days early). So it had no influence with our kids.

I was asked today how many more weeks I had with #3 - 13 to go. I was then asked if I was having twins!!! I hope #3 isn't a big one! LOL

Best of wishes.
No idea what DH weighed, but I was 6lb 8, sister#1 was 8 lb 6 and sister #2 was 8lb 4.

When DD was born the midwife asked me what I thought she'd weigh. I told her that I didn't care so long as it was no more than 8lbs. Ironically, when she weighed DD her weight was EXACTLY 8lbs!!!! smile. Hoping that this one is as nice to me lol.

Leisa

Can u try and expect how much your baby will weigh according to how much you and your partner weighed when born ??

It didn't work that way for us.

I was 6lb 9oz when born, DH was 8lb 3oz
My mums largest baby was 7lb 1oz, MIL's largest baby was 8lb 5oz
Mum had quick labours though - her shortest being 40min, longest 1hr 55min - I had short labours too - not sure if there is anything in that...

DS1 was 6lb 3oz - 2890g(but was 5 weeks prem) 1hr 30min labour
DS2 was 9lb 13oz - 4460g - 7 hour labour
DS3 was 10lb 2oz - 4600g - 1hr 13min labour
DD was 8lb 15oz - 4040g - 50 min labour
DS4 was 10lb 12oz - 4880g. - 18 min labour
Nope not for us, DH was 6lb somehting(not 100%sure what) and i was 4lb 15oz.
My DS was 7lb 11oz and DD was 8lb 8oz... hoping number 3 isnt bigger again!

Just though I'd add what I've learned recently from studying Paediatric Nutrition in my degree..... the more important factor that will affect the weight of your baby is your current weight, or your weight pre-pregnancy and then how much weight you put on during pregnancy. I believe the more weight you put on during pregnancy, generally the bigger the baby will be. I think that is what I read anyway.

i was prem so doesnt count.

but i am small, shortish and lean. the dad is lean, but tall.
we have smallish babies.
first was 6 pound 8 3090grams,
second was 7 pound 2, 3280grams.

i dont think so i was only 2pound 10oz
my partner was 8 pound
both my boys were 6pound 1 oz
i feel this baby be bigger

Just though I'd add what I've learned recently from studying Paediatric Nutrition in my degree..... the more important factor that will affect the weight of your baby is your current weight, or your weight pre-pregnancy and then how much weight you put on during pregnancy. I believe the more weight you put on during pregnancy, generally the bigger the baby will be. I think that is what I read anyway.

how much weight you put on has NOTHING to do with how your baby will weigh at birth. And with how much you weighed pre pregnancy...I was 47kg and N was born at 9pound 3ounce.

I was 8pound 1/2 an ounce
DF was either 9pound 10 or 10pound 10 (we get it mixed up lol)

N was 9pound 3

I have heard the father determines weight of bub at birth, they will be similar to what the father was. Not sure if it its true.
Sign in to follow this topic