Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Labour 2nd time round Rss

Hi girls,
My labour with DS 1st time round was 18hours and hard, ended up having an episiotomy and ventouse, now that i'm pregnant again (7weeks)i'm freaking out a bit about labour again (a bit early I know lol)
So what were your experiences? Was it easier? Shorter 2nd time round?

Also, I only had gas as i'm not very good with medications etc so for those of you who tried pethadine what was it like?
hi there,

my labour/delivery of DS#1 was traumatic - emergency c section due to foetal distress. my pain relief for this labour was gas then peth. I found the peth made me lose control and not cope properly.

like you i was very scared of a traumatic repeat with i fell pregnant with DS#2.

this labour i was determined to try for VBAC. ( i achieved it)
i got to 6cms with just gas and then went epidural. was such a completely different labour experience.

Remember just because things went really bad last time, doesnt mean it will this time.

best of luck
Lottie
I know what you mean! I had a pretty traumatic 1st birth. 3rd degree tear, casued from my doctor and vacuum used. Plus a epidural that wasn't blocked properly so i felt the needle going in and then the epidural didn't work.
My 2nd labour was so much nicer i stayed at home for few hours ( so they couldn't intervene) by the time i got to hospital i was 8cms and only used gas. Was much more pleasent experience and quicker

[img]http://b2.lilypie.com/fpHsp9/.png[/img][img]h

Hi girls,
My labour with DS 1st time round was 18hours and hard, ended up having an episiotomy and ventouse, now that i'm pregnant again (7weeks)i'm freaking out a bit about labour again (a bit early I know lol)
So what were your experiences? Was it easier? Shorter 2nd time round?

Also, I only had gas as i'm not very good with medications etc so for those of you who tried pethadine what was it like?

Im soon to have #2 but liek you im hoping for a better experience second time around as with DD it was a long labour ending in episiotomy & ventucose suction delivery, they were actually preping me for an emergency c-sec when she decide to come due to feotal distress, her heart rate droped dangerously low after having a shot of peth, i will never even go near that stuff again! not mention how it made me! yucky stuff IMO
i had a really good labor 1st time round.
my 2rd it was even better got to the hospital 15 mins later he was born.
my first i went into early labour about 5am he was born at 8.30ish the next day

no 2 went into labour about 10pm and he was born about 2pm the next day...

they broke my waters for both.. ds1 arrived about 3hrs after.. ds2 was 8.5 hrs later... he was not stuck but not quite alingned so wasn't coming.. the mw just had to turn his head a smidge and he was out

no 3 waters broke about 3.30pm and he was born at 6.30ish that night so once again about 3hrs after waters broke

My daughter was born within 5 hours and she was fast and no dramas and with no drugs and born 6 days early.

My son was born 8 hours and hurt alot more and more intense labour and with was no drug and was born 3 weeks early. I think it just depends on the baby and try not to stress out to much about the whole labour

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

2nd labour was definately shorter. First was 10 hours, second only two! I didn't have drugs either time though so can't really help with that.
Thanks ladies I feel better already.
My waters broke straight away with DS and I just had gas with him.
Not too keen on the pethidine idea so I think i'll just go into it again with just the gas and knowing it's bound to be shorter!
My 1st labour went for around 36hrs, ended with a em c-section as he was posterior and stuck. I went for a VBAC 2nd time around, the labour lasted about 13hrs, I only used gas as pain relief, and it was a normal birth, with a 2nd degree tear. 3rd time around the labour lasted about 16hrs, no pain relief, and i think it was a 1st degree tear.
It all depends on the bubs position and weight I think.
My 2nd labour was much better then my first - first time around it was over 20 hours, ended up having an epidural after 17 then a ventouse delivery - My daughter ended up in special care on oxygen due to such a long labour.

My 2nd labour was 3 hours - no epidural and I know this sounds crazy, but I really enjoyed it (not that it wasn't painful) but I was expecting it to be much longer and more traumatic.

One of the midwives told me the first labour is very difficult because your building the highway for your baby to be born and second time around the baby just has to ride the highway as its already been built. ( I hope that makes sense)
Hi,

My 2nd labour was the complete opposite to my first and much, much better! grin

First labour lasted 23 hrs, posterior, 2hrs of pushing and ended up using every drug under the sun with no relief. Sustained a 3rd deg tear and DD1 was born via ventouse.

2nd labour lasted 2hrs 10 mins. Waters broke, a few contractions later and DD2 was out. 2 easy pushes. Still sustained a tear but not nearly as bad as the first. Oh and completely drug free too.

Best wishes for your pregnancy too!

Sign in to follow this topic