Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Anyone used EPO?? Rss

hi everyone,

i was just wondering if anyone has used evening primrose oil capsules before either orally or used the "other" way laugh

I bought some yesterday and want to know if it actually works with self induction or ripening the cervix i wont start till tuesday as i will be 38 weeks then but iv been over due by two weeks with my last two children and have my sister coming down two days before im due and would like to take advantage of her help she has offered as i havnt had any in the past and i think it would be helpful to have some back up for a week with a newborn and two other children to take care off just so i get some routine set in before se leaves...

so if you have had any experience with these or any other good induction tips please share as i would hate to be medically induced again =) thankyou!!
Hey,
I am due a few days before you and I am also starting the EPO's at 38wks (tomorrow).. I have done the same with my 2nd and 3rd (my 1st was prem), I usually do one tablet for the first night then up the dose by one per night and have found that I have had my bubs within about 5 days. I have had extrememly quick labours as my cervix has softened and dialated super quick... My 2nd was born in 45mins and my 3rd in 1.5hrs from first contraction to end. I dont know if it has necessarily brought the labour on but it definately helped my cervix soften and dialate quicker. Just make sure you do it right before bed and try not to get back up, insert it as if it's a tampon and try and get it up as far as you can... Its also worth wearing a pad or at least a panty liner as sometimes I have had a bit of leakage but then again other times I have had no leakage which I figure is a good sign that my cervix has absorbed it. Also if you have trouble inserting it you can prick one of the tablets and use the oil as lubrication.. good luck.. hopefully we both get to announce our births real soon.

Not done EPO, but I swear by Accupuncture. Lots of great stories out there using accupuncture, my favourite is a friend who left the 1st session(it usually a series), got in her car, rang her husband and told him to meet her at the hospital. Bubs arrive 1 1/2 hours later!

Doesn't always work of course. But a fab option. I had fast drug free labours...
WOW within five days thats excellent!! i will be definantly be giving them a go!!! I have heard of the accupuncture but i live in a small town and know one does it down here but i have heard of the accupressure points on the webbing between your thumb and forefinger and four fingers above your ankle i wonder if these have also worked? because im definantly not against a good massage!! laugh

Also thankyou on the info for application i was still unsure on how many to do so i appreciate that lots!!
I'm due on the 8th of Novemeber, I just wanted to reply because I thought it was amazing were all due so close to each other, and after reading this post, I think I might start on the EPO on monday (38 weeks) as well!

Hey,
I am due a few days before you and I am also starting the EPO's at 38wks (tomorrow).. I have done the same with my 2nd and 3rd (my 1st was prem), I usually do one tablet for the first night then up the dose by one per night and have found that I have had my bubs within about 5 days. I have had extrememly quick labours as my cervix has softened and dialated super quick... My 2nd was born in 45mins and my 3rd in 1.5hrs from first contraction to end. I dont know if it has necessarily brought the labour on but it definately helped my cervix soften and dialate quicker. Just make sure you do it right before bed and try not to get back up, insert it as if it's a tampon and try and get it up as far as you can... Its also worth wearing a pad or at least a panty liner as sometimes I have had a bit of leakage but then again other times I have had no leakage which I figure is a good sign that my cervix has absorbed it. Also if you have trouble inserting it you can prick one of the tablets and use the oil as lubrication.. good luck.. hopefully we both get to announce our births real soon.

Hello!
Firstly congrats to you all on your imminent arrivals!
As you can see I am a long way off being in your shoes but I too have had 2 previous medical inductions and would like to avoid that again for #3, the third and final, lol.
I was just wanting to ask (for future reference) do you mean you put the whole tablet up there and by the 5th day you are putting 5 tablets up there? Sorry to be dumb, I just dont really know how it works, a friend did it and pricked the end then inserted it and went into labour that night but that could've been a fluke of course.

I was just wanting to ask (for future reference) do you mean you put the whole tablet up there and by the 5th day you are putting 5 tablets up there?

I'm not sure what is recommended but I have always assumed that whatever doesnt get absorbed will just come back out but to answer ur question I insert 1 tablet the first night, 2 the 2nd night etc.. until day 5 I will do 5 but I probably wouldnt go more than that.. and I just stick them up one by one as far as they will go.... I have never pricked them either as I find that they will mostly fully absorb anyway by the time I wake up in the morning and I have never had any dramas inserting them.... but like I said thats just what I have done I'm not sure what the recommended dose is.

Hello!
Firstly congrats to you all on your imminent arrivals!
As you can see I am a long way off being in your shoes but I too have had 2 previous medical inductions and would like to avoid that again for #3, the third and final, lol.
I was just wanting to ask (for future reference) do you mean you put the whole tablet up there and by the 5th day you are putting 5 tablets up there? Sorry to be dumb, I just dont really know how it works, a friend did it and pricked the end then inserted it and went into labour that night but that could've been a fluke of course.

hi first of all thkyou and congratulaions!!
yes the whole capsule as it will melt lol and if you google it i think its week 32 you can start off taking them orally and then by 38 weeks you do it vaginally...lol first night and into labour might make sure im fully packed just incase LOL!!

I'm not sure what is recommended but I have always assumed that whatever doesnt get absorbed will just come back out but to answer ur question I insert 1 tablet the first night, 2 the 2nd night etc.. until day 5 I will do 5 but I probably wouldnt go more than that.. and I just stick them up one by one as far as they will go.... I have never pricked them either as I find that they will mostly fully absorb anyway by the time I wake up in the morning and I have never had any dramas inserting them.... but like I said thats just what I have done I'm not sure what the recommended dose is.

oky doke, cool thanks!

hi first of all thkyou and congratulaions!!
yes the whole capsule as it will melt lol and if you google it i think its week 32 you can start off taking them orally and then by 38 weeks you do it vaginally...lol first night and into labour might make sure im fully packed just incase LOL!!

lol yeh could be a good idea! Good luck with it all!
Hi just reading this post and thought i add! Im due with my first in 7 weeks. My midwife has told me - orally you can start them from about 32 weeks. But if inserting them as you guys have said 38 weeks. Another way to do this apart from inserting the whole tablet in is to prick 2 of them and put the oil onto a tampon. Then insert the tampon before you go to bed and take it out when you wake up in the morning.

Just wanted to let yo know another way.

Goodluck to you all smile
I tried it with my daughter, but nothing worked with my daughter lol she was and still is very stubborn smile I took them both ways, I didn't really like taking them the 'other' way as I found the gel part of the capsule didn't get absorbed and was pretty messy and gross - sorry TMI tongue I also pricked them with a needle first and only ever used one at a time. I don't know if it helped but when I finally went into labor (induced at 15 days overdue) it was really fast and I was fully dialated after 3 1/2 hours.
Sign in to follow this topic