Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Cold & Pregnancy Rss

Hi all

Just wondering what can I do/take to help me with a cold. Blocked nose, then runnung like a tap, pounding headache, sore body!! I feel like I have been hit by a bus! Can I use Vicks Vaporub? Im 19 weeks.

Thanks!
I dunno bout vicks, didn't need it when I was preg, but you can take panadiene for the headaches and muscle aches, the codiene in it might even help with runny nose. I would also use steam in shower or vapouriser to clear your nose

Just don't take nurofen without chatting to your GP.
I've just had a cold (well still have the end of it!)

I didn't take anything except Panadol when I had a temperature. I used Fess nasal spray to try and clear up my sinus... not sure how effective it was though.

There is contradictive information about the use of menthol cough lollies in pregnacy - as I was only 10 weeks and the baby was developing some pretty important stuff that week I choose not to have any. I had these honey drops instead.

Drink lots of water - at room temp otherwise you might cough.

People recomment honey/lemon drinks... I personally don't like them but if you do go for it!

Sorry I'm not sure about vicks... perhaps check with your local pharmacist - thats what I did!

Hope your feeling better soon

Hi all

Just wondering what can I do/take to help me with a cold. Blocked nose, then runnung like a tap, pounding headache, sore body!! I feel like I have been hit by a bus! Can I use Vicks Vaporub? Im 19 weeks.

Thanks!

You can take panadol, ask your pharmacist about vick vaporub but I would think it would be safe though as your not consuming it (your not allowed to consume menthol whilest pregnant). You could also make a home made cough syrpe that doesn't contain menthol like a lemon, ginger and honey (you can find recipes on the net).
If you can find something safe i highly recommend it, this is my first pregnancy and i got sick at 6wks i remained sick till 13wks preggas as i was soo paranoid about taking stuff! i still have the really odd cough at night but my GP said its just the flu still leaving me! Hope u get better xx

I forgot to mention bub is fine and healthy tho so it didnt effect it smile

I was told by my GP lots of water and rest. Panadol if required and to inhale plain steam without anything in it. It is the steam that clears the sinuses not anything that you put in the water.

I had to laugh at the rest part - I have a 16mth old, was working fulltime and am heavily pregnant (currently 39 wks 2days)...rest? What rest? I don't think I get any rest let alone lots of it!
My GP recommended soluble Panadol when pregnant - take 2-3 dissolved in water and call her in the morning.... the soluble stuff is GREAT and works really fast. Most Chemists have it, they are big flat pills in foil packets.

Hope you feel better soon!
When pregnant with my first DS I asked about vicks and the pharmacist told me no as it contained menthol. I then asked my GP when pregnant with my 2nd DS and she looked it up for me and said 'there is no proven evidence either way' so I chose not to use it but I guess each to their own.

I found nasal sprays helped for when the nose was blocked, not so much for when runny. Oh and just the plain saline nasal sprays not the medicated ones. Good ol' Vit C? lol hope your on the mend soon, nothing worse than being sick while pregnant!
I think you should see your GP - mine gave me a script for an antihistamine to help with the blocked sinus' that is safe to use during pregnancy. I never got the prescription filled but at least there is the option of relief!

I hope you feel better soon smile
Sign in to follow this topic