Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Descent/Fifths above the brim...

Descent/Fifths above the brim... Rss

Hello

So I am pretty sure I know the answer to this but just thought I'd get some other opinions...
in my book under 'Descent/Fifths above the brim'
last week the mw wrote 3/5 with a lil up arrow so I guessed that was 3/5ths above the brim of my pelvis, today's appt bub was 5/5ths with an up arrow so does that mean bub has popped back up or has engaged lower? I figure it means its popped back up and I am not as engaged as I was lastweek, is this right?
I know its not a biggie as its my third bub and they may not engage till labour starts, I'm just curious smile

Hello

So I am pretty sure I know the answer to this but just thought I'd get some other opinions...
last week the mw wrote 3/5 with a lil up arrow so I guessed that was 3/5ths above the brim of my pelvis, today's appt bub was 5/5ths with an up arrow so does that mean bub has popped back up or has engaged lower? I figure it means its popped back up and I am not as engaged as I was lastweek, is this right?
I know its not a biggie as its my third bub and they may not engage till labour starts, I'm just curious smile

That sounds like he/she has popped back up a bit, but remember that all midwives feel the baby differently. I had one tell me that I wasn't engaged at all and in an ultrasound ten minutes later her head was pressing my cervix. Another midwife checked within 1/2 an hour and she said she was 3/5....... so it's really all relative anyway. I hope that didn't confuse you.
Oh, and she was my third too.

No not confusing at all, this is pretty much what I thought too! Thanks for your reply smile

Hello

It means bubs is fully engaged not poped back out. It means bubs is 5 5ths descended into your pelvis and 5 5ths makes a whole which means fully decended or engaged. if it was 1/5 it would mean bubs head is only just starting to decend into the pelvis.
If your really unsure just ask your midwife.
5/5th --> means ALL of the baby's head can be felt ABOVE the pelvic cavity, which means none of the head has decended yet. NOT engaged at all.

4/5th --> means 4/5th can be felt ABOVE the pelvic cavity, which means only 1/5ths of the head has decended. Very Slightly engaged.

3/5th --> means 3/5th can be felt ABOVE the pelvic cavity, which means only 2/5ths of the head has decended. Slightly engaged.

2/5th --> means only 2/5th can be felt ABOVE the pelvic cavity, which means 3/5ths of the head has decended. Moderately engaged.

1/5th --> means ONLY 1/5th can be felt ABOVE the pelvic cavity, which means 4/5ths of the head has decended. Very engaged (probably as engaged as one will be up til labour)

0/5th --> means none can be felt ABOVE the pelvic cavity, which means ALL of the head has decended, and generally will not happen at all until the active labour / waters have broken.

So someone whose notes say "5/5" is actually not at all "engaged"...
If notes say "4/5" they are actually 1/5ths "engaged"...
If notes say "3/5" they are actually 2/5ths "engaged"...
If notes say "2/5" they are actually 3/5ths "engaged"...
If notes say "1/5" they are actually 4/5ths "engaged"...
If notes say "0/5" they are actually 5/5ths "engaged" or completely engaged...
Sign in to follow this topic