Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Please help!! Lock Rss

Im 30 wks and the last 2 wks ive been getting the worst ever leg cramps in my calves, OMG i had one last night and today i cant even walk properly.
What happens is during the night i strech out and thats when i get them, the first time i got one DF thought i was in labour bcos iwas was crying soo much but OMG they are sooo painful, i think ive read somewhere that is has something to do with salt i think not enough salt or somethhing like that! Does anyone have any tips how to get rid of them!!

Any help would be soooooo greatful.
TIA
I have heard of many different causes for these types of pains. Some say it's lack of potassium, some say lack of magnesium. It didn't work for me, but I have heard a lot of people say a banance and drink of milk before bed works for them so might be worth a try.
hey i heard of the lack of salt gives you cramp but if theyh are that bad go to your gp just to play safe

oh i pm'd u bak to laugh
I was getting them for ages too...and would do the same you did..stretch out in bed, and them WHAM!!

I think it's because of not enough salt..however in saying that i may be wrong. One thing I've heard is to drink gatorade or powerade because the electrolytes in it help to relieve them...that's what my mum's doc said to her when she was getting them all the time.

Wishing you luck and it does get better.
I had the same and I took magnesium tablets and had a glass of milk every night before bed and it helped heaps. My doctor told me that there is no way with the modern diet that you can have a lack of salt.
I being told that not drinking enough water can cause that too. I had leg cramps the other day and i drank some milk and water and it help alot.
Hope you find something that works for you.

I go to GP next wk so will just wait til then.

hey i heard of the lack of salt gives you cramp but if theyh are that bad go to your gp just to play safe

oh i pm'd u bak to laugh

I didnt think pregnant women could drink powerade and gatorade, hmmm ill have to have a look into it. Thanks

I was getting them for ages too...and would do the same you did..stretch out in bed, and them WHAM!!

I think it's because of not enough salt..however in saying that i may be wrong. One thing I've heard is to drink gatorade or powerade because the electrolytes in it help to relieve them...that's what my mum's doc said to her when she was getting them all the time.

Wishing you luck and it does get better.

Ill have to try that thanks

I had the same and I took magnesium tablets and had a glass of milk every night before bed and it helped heaps. My doctor told me that there is no way with the modern diet that you can have a lack of salt.
Hi
I got them really bad with my first pregnancy. I have heard it can be lack of potassium, magnesium or calcium or because you haven't been drinking enough water. I was recomended blackmores PPMP vitamins (potasium phosphate and magnesium phosphate I think it stood for) by my doc and they really helped heaps. I also took a big glass of water to bed and had a couple of mouthfuls everytime I woke up. I still remember how painful they were. good luck
I read somewhere that stretching the calf muscle but trying to bring your toes to the front of your leg will help (not literally pulling but just lifting your toes until you feel a bit of a stretch).

I try and do a couple of stretches each day - just while watching TV or sitting at the computer - and I found that this reduced the leg cramps.

The same stretch while actually cramping is sometimes helpful with mine too.
Hi,
I had terrible leg cramps with my DD and when I told the midwife she told me to take a calcium supplement (which seemed to do the trick!). I have also heard that if you drink a glass of tonic water each evening it will help, but haven't tried that one out! grin
I have Blackmores Pregnancy multivitamins that i took in the first and half of second trimester, should i start taking them again?
I just spoke to my midwife today about the exact same problem, she said to buy calcium and magnesium tablets. She also said not to get the cheap ones from supermarket but to go to a health store for them.
They are better quality.
Sign in to follow this topic