Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Private or non private hospital ?

Private or non private hospital ? Lock Rss

I went public for my first and am going public again. I had a great experience, better than a few friends who went private. I even had my own private double room with ensuite for 4 days! They were absolutely brilliant.
Private. I went private in a public hospital.
Private both times.
You get your own doctor of choice, your own room with ensuite, they dont kick you out after 2 days and generally let you stay for as long as you want to.

Dont get me wrong, I work for the public health system but I would never use it for anything elective. Emergencies are another thing altogether.
I pay private insurance, so why not use it and alleviate the burden on the overworked public system and leave it free-er for those who cannot afford private cover.

His Royal Highness, Prince William

Ive booked public hospital for the birth and private for maternity aftercare. I want as much help as possible after and been told our local private is great for that

i went public for both boys and going public again. there are a few perks to private and if money is no issue, then why not, but i couldn't justify the money when, at the end of the day, you get your baby both ways. sure there are good and bad stories of both public and private, so its really down to personal choice. my SIL is due the same day as me and she has chosen to go private. her reasons are she gets her own dr, and her DH can stay the night with her in a private room, her choice, her money, very happy for her! it just so happened that i was at my hospital appointment last week, and which dr did I see???? the same one my SIL is paying thousands to see, and as it turns out he has annual leave when SIL is due so she probably wont have him there anyway.
Thanks all for your feed back
But we have decided to use our private health cover and go private hospital so fare it hasnt cost us to much due to my father being a well known good doctor so most things have been bulk billed but we will still have the excess of 500 and the fee of 1000 which we get 400 back from medicare for the ob.
we have private health too but decided to go public. Mainly because I cannot believe how much money you have to pay to an OB on top of insurance, and also I want a water birth and private hospitals won't do them so I'm going to a public birthing centre 100% covered by medicare.
just to let you know, i am going private and my hospital DOES offer waterbirths - in fact has more birthing options than the local public hospital.
so i think it is all dependant on each individual hospital smile

just to let you know, i am going private and my hospital DOES offer waterbirths - in fact has more birthing options than the local public hospital.
so i think it is all dependant on each individual hospital smile

oh really? Lucky you. In WA there are only 2 hospitals who allow you to birth in water and they are both public. I think some private ones over here allow you to labour but not birth in the water..
i had a terrible time with my bub at toowoomba base... its too understaffed, my midwife was in too much off a hurry to eat her dinner than help me through my labour which resulted in me pushing her out too fast and getting about 8 tears. i was sent home after being induced only to go into labour an hour later. they prefer to send you home within 24 hours of the birth.. next time ill deffinately be going private and staying far away from that hospital

oh really? Lucky you. In WA there are only 2 hospitals who allow you to birth in water and they are both public. I think some private ones over here allow you to labour but not birth in the water..

yes where im going has numerous tubs to labour in, and one large birthing tub to give birth in. hopefully its not too busy when i go into labour - i want that tub for myself LOL

its a shame that all hospitals dont have the same options/facilities.

i went public first time around and didnt even have a bath to labour in..the closest was a crappy shower that DH and i could barely fit in together.
Sign in to follow this topic