Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. When do you need to start wearing maternity bras???

When do you need to start wearing maternity bras??? Lock Rss

I honestly can't remember when I did with DS, then when I had the girls I had themleftover from the time before so I started straightaway.... I want to wait til 12 wks before I start buying things... I have one BFing singlet left so wearing that today cos its more comfy tongue
But anyone know when they recommend weraing maternity bras??
I didnt get around to buying any before ds was born as he was born at 33wks, but I went to target and got some bras without underwires to wear during pregnancy, I will need to buy new mat bras this time too as I am 10kg lighter than I was with ds, so I went to get some once my underwire ones were not comfy any more, I think it was around 9-10wks

I honestly can't remember when I did with DS, then when I had the girls I had themleftover from the time before so I started straightaway.... I want to wait til 12 wks before I start buying things... I have one BFing singlet left so wearing that today cos its more comfy tongue

Hi Hon, they recommend that you start wearing a wire-free bra around 8 weeks, then a maternity bra when that becomes tight or uncomfortable.
The reason is that the wire can dig into your breasts and may harm the development of your breast ducts causing blockages and mastitis
The exception to this is if your bra has an insert of flexi-wire then they say you can use this as it allows for movement.

I think that you just need to be aware and make sure that your bra is not digging in, super tight, or gives you any sort of discomfort

Leigha''s little men smile

With the boys I didn't til I was much further along, I'd say 7 months? But with Abbie my boobs grew enormous and were so tender in the first month, the only bras I could stand were crop toppy type things and maternity bras. Just do what's comfy mate smile
Hmmmm Yeah I vaguely remember DS being about 1/2 way but I don't think my boobs changed much... they are already flopping out of my bras and are not comfy.... I have a scan when I will be just over 8wks, so I will go after that and buy a couple to see me through for a little while, then I will stock up properly down the track.... the normal non underwire ones I don't think will be much good.... I am a DD at the moment.... are they supportive at that size???
as soon as i feel preg i started to grow an therefore i outgrew my bra by 12 weeks and so i bought one then. i didnt buy anymore untill about 30 weeks as i didnt want to out grow them....
Hi Jess,

first of all congratulations to you all!!!

I have just reached 17 1/2 weeks and I am just beginning to need maternity bras now... My boobs are huge compared to my last two pregnancies and I reckon I will hit an E or F after the babies are born..
KMart have some great Bra and singlet combos which will be handy for breastfeeding also, and they are only $12.00 each... even if I only use them for being pregnant at $12.00 each its a good option...

Good luck with it all
Hi - I bought soft cup bras when I was about 6 weeks pregnant, but didn't wear actual maternity bras (with the clips) until DS was born (got them professionally fitted at about 36 weeks). I used to work in a lingerie department smile

I started wearing them at 3 months. But i was a small B cup before getting preggers and grew to a DD within 10 weeks blink

You wont to stop wearing any bras with underwires and once your breasts start leeking or start expainding get your first maternity bra.
As i am very well indowled in that department (G cup) i started wearing a maternity bra at 20wks as they are not cheap at this size ($70 each) but well worth it and to answer the question someone asked on whether they are supportive they are if you get fitted for the right size. Make sure they leave a little room to fill out once your milk comes in.

Hi Zookeeper. I think I got my first mat bra at about 22 weeks and I remember the lady who fit me saying the same as PP - that they recommend you get mat bras or at least wire-free ones early on as the wires can block your ducts when they're developing for milk production.

I was a DD and when I was fitted for a maternity bra went to an F (OMG, freak out moment!!) and yes, they are supportive. I was actually very surprised to find that they were. I have always had big gazoongas and always worn underwires but the maternity bras I got are great. I've got a Hot Milk one, very pretty, and some Triumph ones, very un-pretty but very supportive! I was told the uglier they are, the more supportive they are LOL!!!

Hi, i am now 20 weeks, was an 10E cup before i fell pregnant, i am now 12/14 FF/G cup and probably bigger!! (and my milk hasnt even come in yet!) Now that is a bloody freak out moment! Where abouts did you get your bras from? I cant find any maternity bras that are that big in bras n things etc. I grew quite alot in my first trimester, i think ive settled down a bit now, but really need to get something, as the bra that im wearing is far too small for me. I would really appreciate your help. =]
Sign in to follow this topic