Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Do pregnant women need flu shots?

Do pregnant women need flu shots? Lock Rss

Just saw an ad on the telly about them, do we need em?

Depends on who you ask (like most pregnancy questions lol)...

Some say you should because you are more at risk of complications from the flu, and the theory is it helps protect bubs too.

Some say there is not enough research into its safety, and its not really necessary.

Personally, I did not get it done, because I do not have any risk factors like asthma etc, and do not regularly get it done when not pregnant anyway.
My doctor told me today, that I should get it done
When i was pregnant with DS last year my GP advised me against it
I wouldn't have a flu shot not pregnant, so there is no way I would have one when I was. I dont get that babies under 6 months cant have the shot but pregnant women can.

Give me the flu over the shot anyday!
i am getting mine done this friday at 34 weeks pregnant.

i think there is alot of misunderstanding surrounding immunisations. it is the dead virus, your body creates the antibodies to match the shape of the invaders, thus being prepared for any when they try to attack.

i'm not sure what "effects" people are concerned about for them or the unborn baby??

it is similar to people not getting bubs immunised etc. the dangers are far greater NOT immunising....

i am getting mine done this friday at 34 weeks pregnant.

i think there is alot of misunderstanding surrounding immunisations. it is the dead virus, your body creates the antibodies to match the shape of the invaders, thus being prepared for any when they try to attack.

i'm not sure what "effects" people are concerned about for them or the unborn baby??

it is similar to people not getting bubs immunised etc. the dangers are far greater NOT immunising....

It depends on how you look at it really, alot of studies and tests show that it there are just as many dangers vaccinating and it is not guaranteed to work. So I suppose in relation to the vaccine debate it is really what you can live with personally really.

With vaccines in pregnancy, I am always at my healthiest when I am pregnant and never even get a sniffle so the idea that I am more vunerable to diseases doesnt stack up. This is just my opinion though.

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

I can't speak for anyone but myself, but no I don't 'need' a flu shot....pregnant or not. Each family has to decide what is best for them; personally I don't care if they say that there are little risks to having a flu shot when pregnant, it's not a risk I am willing to take based on my personal history of ILI (Influenza Like Illness), both during pregnancy and not.

As for the vaccination debate about whether the benefits outweigh the risks...staying well clear of that one. laugh

i had one when preg with DS1 simply because it was flu season and i worked in childcare.

im pretty sure they only do them during the second trimester anyway.... but can't be sure as it was over 7yrs ago.

I currently have whooping cough it is horrible. I didn't think to get immunised before I got pregnant. The doctor said as soon as I get over this I need to have my flu shot so I don't get the flu. She said my immune system is down and I need to get the protecting before the flu season hits.
I just had my Flu vaccination needle today and im 24 weeks.

The public hospitals in QLD are going to be offering it to all pregnant women for free in the next few months because they reccomend it while you are pregnant.
My doctor highly recommended it, at our first antenatal visit. I had it done, it didn't affect me at all, and since then I've had 2 ultrasounds (20wks & 30wks) both showing my baby is healthy & normal.

They say the risks of getting the shot done definately outway the risks should you contract the flu. My doc said there are so many cases just recently of either mothers, babies, or both dying because of the flu. The flu has really been getting around apparently, and pregnant women are of course more susceptable due to their low immune system.

Talk to your doctor, and do what you feel is best.
Sign in to follow this topic