Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Confused about how many weeks!?

Confused about how many weeks!? Lock Rss

I did a test the other day, and found out I am expecting #2.
When I found out I was pregnant with DS1, we weren't trying, so didn't know when the date of conception was, so I found out at the DRs how far along I was.
I assumed as we would have concieved 2 weeks ago, I was 2 weeks pregnant, but after googling, this isn't the case is it? I've used a calculator for EDD, which is 21st March?
I'm going to keep googling, but if anyone can help me figure it out, ovulation was June 28th.
You'd think I'd know this kind of thing second time around, but I'm a bit clueless lol!

Pregnancy/gestation is counted from the first day your egg is released from the ovary. Which is the first day of your last period. It's when that egg actually came into the picture, the conceiving is just the bit that makes it decide to hang around.
My periods have always been irregular, so I don't know if it works the same? The first day of my last period was 10th May.
I just found a calculator, and it basically says you go 2 weeks earlier from date of ovulation? That would make me about 4 weeks?

As far as I know when your irregular the only way to know is by a dating scan unless you where tracking your ovulation by body temp or some other method. I'm irregular so we were going on dates from the first day of my last cycle but they were out once I had my first scan. I wasn't as far along as we had originally thought. The internet calculators base their results on a set number of days in your cycle which doesn't work for me caus its never the same.

As far as I know when your irregular the only way to know is by a dating scan unless you where tracking your ovulation by body temp or some other method. I'm irregular so we were going on dates from the first day of my last cycle but they were out once I had my first scan. I wasn't as far along as we had originally thought. The internet calculators base their results on a set number of days in your cycle which doesn't work for me caus its never the same.

We've been trying for a year, so I've been tracking ovulation with LH tests, so I know pretty well when I ovulated, give or take a day smile

My periods have always been irregular, so I don't know if it works the same? The first day of my last period was 10th May.
I just found a calculator, and it basically says you go 2 weeks earlier from date of ovulation? That would make me about 4 weeks?

Thats right. If you know conception date, or ovulation date, its counted as 2 weeks earlier.
Gestational age is from the date you ovulated you add anouther 2 weeks to that to get how far along you are (ie. at 2 weeks your not even pregnant yet only just ovulating). Or if you want an acurate answear its best to go for a dating scan.
As the other ladies have said you are basically already 2 weeks when you concieve, so if that was roughly 2 weeks ago then you'd be 4 weeks! Or if you can remember the date of your last period, that's when it's counted from (the start of it)! But a blood test to test the hormone levels or an ultrasound will be able to tell you!!
U would think they would make it easy... funny story I was away working for 3 week blocks, accidently fell pregnant were told how many weeks along I was, my partner freaked thinking I fell pregnant why I was away.
It's my 3rd pregnancy and my doctor has to send me for a date scan because we can't work out how far I am as my cycle is all over the place.
Last Thursday he said I was 4 weeks and then I came home and typed it into the online calculator and it said I was 5 weeks. I started getting pregnancy symptoms 3 weeks ago starting with going to the toilet a lot. This has so far been 100 % different to my last 2 so I have no clue where I'm at lol! I have to book the date scan next week.
If you're confident of when you ovulated, use that as your basis and just put the date 2 weeks earlier in to any calculators you're using to work out a rough edd, so 14th June.

With DD, while we were actively ttc, I had really long cycles (5+ months) so expected things to take a long time. I found out I was pregnant 2 months before I expected to even be ovulating next! Dr went by lmp and completely ignored the fact that I didn't have a standard cycle. When I went for my 19 weeks scan, surprise surprise, I was only 14 weeks and 5 days smile (didn't know about dating scans so hadn't had one done).

With DS I knew which day I'd conceived and counted back 2 weeks from that to use in online caluclators to work out a rough edd which worked out to be 2nd June. When I went for my dating scan they gave me an edd of 29th May so if you're very confident of when you ovulated/conceived the online estimators should still be pretty accurate.

Leisa.
if you ovulated on appox 28th june id say ud appox say if you were pregnant u would b due about 20th march 2012 so only 4 wks along but a dating scan is ya best bet!
good luck smile
Sign in to follow this topic