Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Pregnancy announcements. Via Facebook.

Pregnancy announcements. Via Facebook. Lock Rss

even tho everyone knows I just put it on my profile!
Generally speaking i love facebook but i have had trouble with when i announced one of my pregnancies to close friends after letting them know they left me messages on my facebook wall, problem was i hadn't finished telling everyone yet or my work so i was really annoyed. And then again when i had one of my babies made a few phone calls and then the messages were again put on facebook these are things i think that shouldn't be put by others on facebook until you have done so yourself, it's exciting having a baby and it's your news that you should share with everyone first via phone calls etc and when you are ready for all of facebook to know it should be you who writes it first.
I would be one of those people to use facebook to announce a pregnancy. HOWEVER, I would only use it after announcing to my friends and family first in person. The facebook announcement would really be just for those friends I havent seen in a while, or are interstate/overseas. I wouldnt say that I would use facebook as the only way (and first instance way) of telling people.

I am 25 and I guess I feel like I have grown up with the internet (had the internet since I was 10) and it is part of how I communicate with people. Same with texting. I have had a mobile phone since I was 13 and am used to texting people things that other people are used to phone calls. Its how I have grown up, I havent lived in a time when mobile phones and the internet werent easily accessible.

I feel that announcing it on facebook is normal (for announcing thing to those not so close friends and far away relatives) because thats all I have known. When you announced your pregnancy via email, perhaps some of those friends and family felt the same way you do about people announcing it on facebook?

I know the only way to tell some people is face to face, not because they dont have facebook, but because they are older and are from a different generation to me that would expect to be told in person. They havent grown up with the internet or mobile phones, their "normal" is announcing important things in person, over the phone (voice of course) or even with a hand written letter.

I guess it just depends on how you have grown up and how you are used to communitcating (and if you think about how others have grown up communicating).

My grandmother had a go at my Mum the other day as she was one of the last to find out about my being engaged. It's a bit different as my grandmother and I don't talk anymore as we had a big issue with her and my son one day a while back. She says it wasn't fair because even though she has a facebook account she doesn't use it so she missed out on the announcement. I don't really care though. My parents, and close friends, we rang or told in person. For everyone else, I see no problem with Facebook. Was the same when we announced this pregnancy. Rang those who matter to us most, the "aquaintances" can find out online.

these are things i think that shouldn't be put by others on facebook until you have done so yourself, it's exciting having a baby and it's your news that you should share with everyone first via phone calls etc and when you are ready for all of facebook to know it should be you who writes it first.

That's just baby news (or any big news) etiquette smile It's such a shame that people don't think about these things before they announce someone elses news.

even tho everyone knows I just put it on my profile!

Hello Katherine_Michell01,

I want to add this to my Facebook profile.

How did you do it?

TIA.

Hello Katherine_Michell01,

I want to add this to my Facebook profile.

How did you do it?

TIA.

Click your profile -> edit profile (at top right of page) -> Friends and family (left side of page) -> Add a family member -> Then select relationship "Expected: child", and then put in your due date.

Click your profile -> edit profile (at top right of page) -> Friends and family (left side of page) -> Add a family member -> Then select relationship "Expected: child", and then put in your due date.

Does this come up in the news feed so EVERYONE sees it? or they would only see this information if they went into my information and looked at it?

Thanks
I told my family first in person early on and slowly started telling extended family and close friends after 12weeks - eventually I put it up on facebook so all the acquaintances could know aswell.
We're 12 weeks today, yay!

We have told both of our immediate families and intend to visit my remaining grandparent this coming weekend and let her know as a courtesy, she's not on Facebook though so we'd be safe announcing there beforehand. I'm also not that close to her, but know she'd make Dad's life nuts if we didn't tell her and she found out later.

We've actually got our wedding in 4 weekends time, debating saving the news until then or to do it now... Our close friends already know, although I still need to tell one of my best friends still - just left a message on his phone to call me back though. I rang my mother's brother who is important to me specially last week and let him know, since he cannot make the wedding. I definitely did not want him finding out via Facebook or secondhand from people that were at the wedding.

We never thought we would have a baby thanks to my history with endometriosis, so everyone that matters to us is absolutely thrilled as we are. Facebook to me is secondary to letting people know either in person or over the phone.
It was 2 days before Christmas when I found out, which was the 23rd, on my partners bithday. Except I couldn't tell him, he was at home (he couldn't get out of work to make the trip unfortunately), and was drinking with a mate, while I was off in another state visiting famiy. So I had to wait until I saw him on Christmas Eve to tell him. This meant, all my family knew + my best friend (with a no facebooking! rule applied), I had to not tell his sister who had driven me and my girl to my inlaws, then I could finally break it to them all (partner first) that I was pregnant! Lucky for me that was a special family time. Some friends knew we'd been trying, and when they found out, it was hard to contain their excitement...but I nearly made it to the 12 week mark with no face-booking about it. Some people knew or had guessed anyway though because overly-excited family members couldn't contain themselves, completely ignoring the etiquette! :/
Totally agree with Wobbity, Face book etiquette, wait until the actual person pregnant has announced it before you put it on the wall.. We have been telling close friends and family as we are still early and it has followed with DONT PUT IT ON FB yet.. one person did and i was lucky a friend called and told me so i could remove the post before it got out of control..

But this day and age FB is a means of communicating so sooner or later someone will spill the beans with the FB wall of chinese whispers...

If someone close doesnt know by the time your putting it on FB well you obviously haven't spoken in a while so they shouldn't be getting there nose out of place...
Sign in to follow this topic