Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Heartburn Rss

Well as the title suggests I am soooooo sick of heartburn sad

I was just wondering if you ladies had any suggestions for ways to reduce it other than medication? Ive been going through a bottle of gaviscon in less than a week + I always have the tablets on hand in my handbag. Im 38 weeks and am just finding that it doesnt seem to go away - or if it does; it isnt for long!

So spam we with your ideas to help settle heartburn and also is it possible to take too much medication for it? Its starting to worry me a little bit... I find the liquid better than the tablets but am worried that a whole bottle in approx 5 days + tablets is a bit much :S
I SOOOOOO feel your pain.
My problem is I cant stand the tablets...
At night, when I'm trying to sleep, I'll have a few sips of cold milk to calm it and hopefully it'll last long enough to fall asleep.

The BEST thing during the day is chewing gum. When it starts up I'll have a piece of gum and chew for at least 30 minutes but the chewing stops it!
Far out I hear you poor ladies! It's driving me crazy and making me feel so sick and I'm only 4.5 months!! Your bumps look bigger so am I guessing right that this will get worse?

I SOOOOOO feel your pain.
My problem is I cant stand the tablets...
At night, when I'm trying to sleep, I'll have a few sips of cold milk to calm it and hopefully it'll last long enough to fall asleep.

The BEST thing during the day is chewing gum. When it starts up I'll have a piece of gum and chew for at least 30 minutes but the chewing stops it!

Will definately give the gum a go! I feel so bad that im constantly downing gaviscon but the heartburn is just sooo bad!

Far out I hear you poor ladies! It's driving me crazy and making me feel so sick and I'm only 4.5 months!! Your bumps look bigger so am I guessing right that this will get worse?

hehe Im 38 weeks now but have had heartburn since about 10 weeks gasp Although in saying that I could go a couple of weeks at a time without an attack so it wasnt so bad at the start! The last 2 weeks have probably been the worst for me so Im counting down til bubs is out and hopefully it dissapears (fingers crossed!!) People keep telling me that heartburn = hairy bubba! LOL so Im expecting a monkey! hahaha tongue Gotta love everyones old wives tails wink heheeh smile
I must admit though I wish I had tried the liquid before the tablets - it works sooo much quicker in my oppinion smile
Try milk. I know it doesnt work for everyone but omg it was my biggest life saver when i was pregnant, I was up most times about 1 in the morning with the worst heartburn and milk NEVER failed me grin
I have heard warm milk works wonders? I never got heartburn so i cant actually say from my point if it actually works.. Good luck i hope you get rid of it grin

i have heart burn this pregnancy and the us tech showed us a head with hair
i drink milky dring or mints and it helps a little
The gum is GREAT! I found one day when I googled remedies and it's something to do with chewing producing saliva blah blah, it works!

NOTE: the hairy thing is such an old wives tale. I had HORRID heartburn from 5 months with DD2 and she was a little baldy! grin
i use a combination of the above suggestions, im 34 weeks with #3 and had heartburn badly with all of them from about 20weeks. i use mylanta liquid before bed each night and sip milk during the night if it keeps up..on really bad nights ill have a 2nd dose of the liquid. during the day i try to only drink milk or eat bread (yes that works just like with chilli smile )

but prevention is better then cure for me.. i know i cant eat after about 8pm and avoid things that cause extra reflux, for me its mainly anything flavoured (twisties, shapes biccies etc) or spicy/chilli, or overly salty (packet noodles, potato chips etc)

but on the bright side the day bubs born it dissappears grin oh and YES you can apparently have too much antacids, if you read the packages its very clear that you must not exeed the max dose during pregnancy, and id avoid combining tablets and liquid as its harder to know how much youve had XX
During my first pregnancy I had what I thought was severe heartburn, it turned out to be gallstones, but that's a whole other story. An OB at the hospital said taking too many antacids can stop you absorbing calcium, so not great for you or bubs. Try and talk to a midwife/ dr/ pharmacist about how much you're taking/ what you're taking. Some prescription ones are more effective.
I know how you feel! I suffered heartburn from about 5 weeks.. I was using mylanta liquid until 35 weeks when I saw a Dr and she prescribed Zantac. The heartburn drove me absolutely crazy, even immediately after I had given birth I had heartburn. So painful. Good luck smile
I suffered pretty severe heartburn through both of my pregnancies... Zantac tablets teamed up with liquid Dual Action Gaviscon is what I swear by!! Double check the use of Zantac with your gp or Obs... Lifesaver!!!
Sign in to follow this topic