Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. When to start buying baby stuff

When to start buying baby stuff Lock Rss

Ive been TTC and am now just over 4 weeks pregnant i was looking on a baby sale site and it never occoured to me until now im still very early and not to be negative but what if something goes wrong and i have all this baby stuff but on the other hand there will be amazing sales. What are your opinions smile

xx
I'm 20 weeks with bubs #3.I have just started to buy a couple of things. I still wont do any major shopping until my last trimester. At the moment I have only spent money on a new pram and a gym play mat.
Lucky for us we have already been given some major items like a car capsule and pota cot.

I think people tend to wait until after their first trimester before buying anything just to be on the safe side.

It's up to you tho. I'm a fan of grabbing a bargin when it comes along to save on money.
me too. i bought a couple of little things when i found out with my first to celebrate lol but i left all the costly/ larger items until well into the 2nd trimester. it was in part the 'what if' but we were also moving house so i waited until after that.

with #2 and #3 we oviously had everything wed need from #1 but i did stil buy a few things after about 15weeks.
I would wait a little bit, because there are always sales through the year! If you are really keen then maybe just a few little things to start putting away like some grow suits or maybe a mobile. i know it is exciting, but it could cause more stress later on (but I really hope not!).
Congratulations on your pregnancy!!!

Ive been TTC and am now just over 4 weeks pregnant i was looking on a baby sale site and it never occoured to me until now im still very early and not to be negative but what if something goes wrong and i have all this baby stuff but on the other hand there will be amazing sales. What are your opinions smile

xx

Both pregnancies only start buying things when I was in 2nd trimester... found it silly to start in 1st trimester.

I'm still only TTC and I just bought a capsule today!!
I figure that this way I'll be prepared when I do (eventually) have a baby smile Plus DH doesn't mind...

I try to wait until the 12wk scan to buy stuff, though I already had stuff from DS this time.

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

i dont think its "silly " to buy stuff. I havent bought anything yet but am looking at stuff i want and im lucky that a family member just had a baby and is giving me her steel craft capsule that u can clip in and out of the car lol.

i think i will wait until 12 weeks and maybe grab a couple of grow suits if they are super cheap.

Thanks for the advice girles and everyone does it different so i dont think there is a right or wrong way of doing it smile

good luck with ur TTC and ur pregnancies
I think its important to get a little something for baby earlier on. I didn't actually buy anything but was given a few little gifts from friends and family and it helped to make the whole pregnancy seem a little more real to me. Also when you're going through the first trimester (which is the worst imo, I'd take 3rd over 1st any day) and you're feeling so crappy its nice to have a little something to cheer you up!

Big stuff, yeah I would wait. For obvious reasons but mainly I'm glad I waited because I changed my mind 100,000 times about what I wanted!
I was really paranoid with this topic. I bought a nappy bag at about 18 weeks, it was really really expensive and I'd been looking at them for ages and it was 25% off. I even rang my mum and asked her if she thought I should, her response was that if something were to go wrong, having a nappy bag not being used would be the least of the things on my mind.
I'm sure I was in the 30+ weeks before we got everything else. We had it all picked and knew exactly what pram, cot etc we were getting, it was just a matter of actually getting it.
Well 24wks is considered the point of 'viability' in a pregnancy so if you want to be really safe wait until then. It really depends on how you would feel about the stuff you bought should something go wrong. If things did go wrong could you reuse the stuff? Or did you buy those things specifically for that child? If you couldn't reuse the stuff for a new child perhaps it might be a waste of money if you started buying things early. I'm not trying to be negative, most pregnancies end positively but it is worth thinking about these things as all that baby stuff is quite a financial investment.

xx

A good idea is to stock up on things for you and the rest of the family. By this I mean shampoos, conds, soaps, deodorant, cleaning products etc the expensive things that boost your weekly shop when you have to buy them all at once. Besides making your expenses abit less when bub arives its convenient to have a mini supermarket in your cupboard. Also nevermind the sales, there are sales on all the time all the time all the time. smile
Sign in to follow this topic