Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

confused with labour hours? Lock Rss

Good question!

I was in labour for 26 hours with DD1. I started counting when I noticed contractions were regular (10 minutes apart I think) and i was also bleeding/leaking abit.

With DD2 I called the midwives when I first started noticing contractions & blood, but contractions were all over the place, but they wrote down later that was the start of my labour, so it was a 15 1/2 hour labour.
i was induced and they broke my waters and started the drip. from the time they did that until ds was born was 5 hours.

they put in my summary that my labour was only 3 hours because they only count it from when i was in what the machines count as an established labour pattern but i can assure u i was in an established labour less than 30 minutes into my induction.

if i went into labour naturally i would count from when i first noticed that i was experiencing pain but i may point out that it was only "really painful" for x amount of hours.
I would go from the first contraction.
With DS1 my waters broke 14 hours before I had any sort of pain. So I count from the 1st contraction to him being born was 3 hours 15 minutes

DS2 From 1st contraction to him being born was 2 hours

i was induced and they broke my waters and started the drip. from the time they did that until ds was born was 5 hours.

they put in my summary that my labour was only 3 hours because they only count it from when i was in what the machines count as an established labour pattern but i can assure u i was in an established labour less than 30 minutes into my induction.

if i went into labour naturally i would count from when i first noticed that i was experiencing pain but i may point out that it was only "really painful" for x amount of hours.

This happened to me too. It was at least 2 and a half hours after I had the drip inserted that they recorded me as being in labour...I was a bit confused because like you from about 30 minutes after the drip I was having regular painful contractions...so I don't know how they work that out! So, by my count I was in labour for 8 hours and in my hospital records the MW recorded 6.
I was in labour for 34 hours with contractions 5 in 10 minutes from the very first one, was told that the first contraction is the beginning of labour smile

This happened to me too. It was at least 2 and a half hours after I had the drip inserted that they recorded me as being in labour...I was a bit confused because like you from about 30 minutes after the drip I was having regular painful contractions...so I don't know how they work that out! So, by my count I was in labour for 8 hours and in my hospital records the MW recorded 6.

yeah I was in "pain" for 8 hours but was never technically in labour tongue
I buzzed for my midwife after I started having contractions for 50 sec. every 2 min. after my second lot of gels - she did absolutely nothing and said she had to go and help "someone who was actually in labour". I think I looked at DH and went - WTF!
I was only 1 cm dilated and eventually DS started getting distressed so I needed an emergency C-section sad
I was technically in labour for 9 hours woke at 3 in he morning with bad pain had a bloody show timed the cotractions and realized I was in labour. Had gone to bed at midnight with what I thought were bh soon realized it was prelabour when I woke at 3am lol

I would go from the first contraction.
With DS1 my waters broke 14 hours before I had any sort of pain. So I count from the 1st contraction to him being born was 3 hours 15 minutes

DS2 From 1st contraction to him being born was 2 hours

Well if it's from the first contraction my labour was 5 days long, I was 3cms dilated and in early labour on Friday and baby was finally born on Wednesday, only 8 hours of regular contractions consistently 2 minutes apart.
thanks for letting me hear everyones stories i actually had a whole thing i wrote but i guess yous all answered my questions in some ways smile

iv heard of woman like in days and stuff too and then being in pain but then never went to hospital and then they counted they were in labour. and then some saying they were in labour the moment they started pushing smile

crazy how different things are but i guess in the end what matters is our precious little babys and def all worth the pain smile

xx
Sign in to follow this topic