Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. People in the room when in labour

People in the room when in labour Rss

When i had DS3, my younger sister came in as my other sister couldnt because she was sick. There was a lot of dramas with his birth, it was a very long labour, my waters had broken and i didnt even realise! his heart rate kept dropping, i was almost whisked off for an emergency c-sec. And to be honest for a 15 year old she held it together excellently and watched as he entered the world!!! My 19 year old sister was meant to come in with me but like i said she was sick so wasnt allowed. Now DS3's birth is still fresh in my mind and i'm scared to death about labour again.
I'm now 6 weeks pregnant and very VERY scared of all that labour entails. My sister keeps commenting how it upset her and she cried when she wasnt allowed to come in, and i've stated that i dont even know if i want anyone there this time. My mum is also making me feel bad for saying it. They just dont understand i havent even thought that far ahead. How do i make them see that i'll probably have my sister come in, but for now i'd like to not think about it?
You need to think about yourself and what makes you comfortable. I know how it feels to have people think they have some automatic right to intrude upon the birth of your children and it is just awful. A rule of thumb - if you weren't present at the conception you are not entitled to be present at the birth, unless specifically invited.

Also, you need to be comfortable in order for the birthing process to proceed as it should. Feeling like you are being observed by people who make you uncomfortable will not help things, it may even hinder the progress of your labour. Believe me, I've been there.
Firstly congrats on your pregnancy and wishing you a happy and healthy pregnancy.

You don't have to think about this just yet.

If you don't want anyone with you that fine and like others will say or have said that it all about you and what makes you happy.

Tell them you not worrying about the labour just yet and when you do decided you will let them know.

You need to think about yourself and what makes you comfortable. I know how it feels to have people think they have some automatic right to intrude upon the birth of your children and it is just awful. A rule of thumb - if you weren't present at the conception you are not entitled to be present at the birth, unless specifically invited.

Also, you need to be comfortable in order for the birthing process to proceed as it should. Feeling like you are being observed by people who make you uncomfortable will not help things, it may even hinder the progress of your labour. Believe me, I've been there.

Well said!!!

I've only ever had DP at the hospital with me. I wouldn't even allow anyone outside the room! I can't even imagine having anybody else in their!

really its up to u but if u choose to have another person in there make sure they no what to do in YOUR time of need i always have my mum she doesnt really get a choice as we are really close but my partner says that having her there was great because men kind of get overwhelmed by it all and she has had 6 kids and just nos what to expect and when you are in labour you are not really paying attention to whos in there especially when you are in your zone goodluck
You know what? It's YOUR birth and its YOUR baby, YOUR life and YOUR decision. DON'T feel pressured into accommodating other people just because they couldn't see the last birth. Its a PRIVILEGE and NOT a right to witness a birth and you can have it any way you like! In your position I would most certainly tell everyone to back off the topic altogether. And to be honest, even if you say no now doesn't mean you won't (or can't) change your mind the closer to your delivery date you get - and vice versa.

One thing you do want to be sure of though is that you DON'T regret your decision, whatever it may be. Me, I agree with the notion "If you weren't at the conception, you won't be at the birth" ... I've got no problems people being in the waiting room, but in the birthing suite it'll only be my husband with me.

Explain to your mum and sister that although you appreciate their support, you're not enjoying the pressure they are putting on you for answers right now and that to be made to feel bad for saying so is NOT okay. Good luck and best wishes smile
Since when is YOUR baby's birth about them? Tell them to back off, you're the one who has to go through the birth, not them!

You are only 6weeks along so have ages to think about this and you might change your mind a number of times (like we are allowed to).
I only had DH with me both times but mum and dad were only a phone call away if we needed them. If Dh agrees to another I would ask my sister to be there as well if she is in the country as she is my other bestfriend.
I think you should go for whoever is going to support you the most. Also you dont want too many people in the room as you want it to be a calm experience and not crowded.

I didn't tell anyone I was in labour. I only had my mum and partner in the room during my labour and DF was there for the emergency C-section. During my labour DF let slip to my MIL that it was all happening and she had a tantrum because she 'felt like she wanted to be there' my MIL is the spawn of satan no way in hell she would be allowed to see me at my most vulnerable. For me it came down to, who are you having this baby for? yourself or your family?
Sign in to follow this topic