Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. How many times a day/hour are you supposed to feel movements?

How many times a day/hour are you supposed to feel movements? Lock Rss

A few weeks ago I was put on a monitor for 20 minutes because I told my Obgyn about a lack of movement that I had been feeling over the Christmas break (about 10 kicks over 3 days.)
She also let me know that bubs is in the head down bum up position and locked in.
Just lately she hasn't been moving as much as she used too, and she was a very active baby, she would respond to light, music, prodding and poking.
But now I'm lucky if I get a few BIG kicks a day and the others might just be little ones or a wiggle.

I was just wondering when I should start to get REALLY worried?
How many kicks or movements should I be expecting an hour?
Or how many in a day?
As your baby gets bigger and starts to run our of room she will kick less.
10 movements in a 24 hour period is normal. But don't worry if they aren't big kicks.
If you are ever concerned drink a really cold glass of water and have a lie down, that usually gets bubs moving!
When I was pregnant with #1 my placenta was in the front, so I hardly felt any movements.
I ended up having to complete a chart everyday from 28wks. I had to start counting movements from 9am & as soon as I felt 10 I marked it on the graph. If I had not felt 10 movements by 9pm, i had to go straight to hospital for monitoring.

I did this again for #2 (without the chart) as I had the same issue with the placenta & it kept my mind at ease.

I also used one of those plastic bracelets you can get from baby shops that you use to help you remember what breast/time to feed from. I found if i had to keep a tally in my head I would forget really quickly.

10 movements in a 24 hour period is normal. But don't worry if they aren't big kicks.
If you are ever concerned drink a really cold glass of water and have a lie down, that usually gets bubs moving!

This is exactly what I have always been told.

Although to be honest there have been days in my past pregnancies where I have felt very few if any movement over 24 hrs. I always just left it until the next day and sure enough bubs would be moving around as normal.

I think bubs was sometimes just squirming around due to lack of space and if was moving around all day I would not feel anything either. Only when I went to bed. But if I was tired enough I sometime fell asleep straight away before I felt bubs move!

I just ate half a cup of ice and laid down on the couch but didn't get anything but a nudge, humm. I wish I had super x-ray vision so I could see what's going on in there!
might be bad advice i am about to give, but what about something sugery to get bubs moving like a piece of chocolate, then lie down, that always helps me
I have heard some bubbas can be very lazy and not kick much compared to others. I'm nearly 34wks and my bub is pretty crazy with the kicks...I know that doesn't reassure you at all. But the norm for your baby might be alot less than mine. I second the advice of mirabi, maybe even a can of coke or a slurpee? They usually make babies go mental in the womb. Bad advice I know laugh

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

I ended up going to the hospital and they put me on a monitor again, the midwife said because my contractions (BH) are so strong its cramping bubs up a bit. But she thinks I might go early just because of the intensity of them! So they're keeping an eye on me weekly from now on.
Thanks for all the good ideas everyone!
Sign in to follow this topic