Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Dilating Lock Rss

When did you first start dilating and how far were you when they did?
I'm 32 weeks at the moment and my next MW appointment is at 33 weeks, so I'm tempted to ask them to check if I've progressed at all. Do you think they will check?
no, they don't check until you're actually in labour normally
In qld the general practice is not to check unless there is a medical need. In my first pregnancy I didn't have an internal until I needed to be induced at 39wks. In my second pregnancy I didn't have an internal until my waters broke and I started to go into labour. This pregnancy I have had several as I have had episodes of bleeding. The reason they try not to do it is for fear of introducing infection etc.

Having said this, there is nothing stopping you going up there and having a 'feel' yourself. I have done this for this pregnancy as I have had 2 episodes of false labour. I know I am dilating as I can insert 2 fingers through the cervix and touch the baby's head/membranes. It is really important to make sure your hands are really clean and perhaps its best to wait a few weeks as it can stir things up a bit and you don't want prem labour.
I didn't get checked until around 39+ weeks. Any reason why you would want to be checked so early?

I was just wondering, because my MW does membrane sweeps from 38 weeks onwards but apparently you have to be at least 3cms/60% effaced.

And I'm just curious to see if my body is doing its thing, because I have a risk of going pre-term I was wondering if they would be able to tell if I would by checking that!

In qld the general practice is not to check unless there is a medical need. In my first pregnancy I didn't have an internal until I needed to be induced at 39wks. In my second pregnancy I didn't have an internal until my waters broke and I started to go into labour. This pregnancy I have had several as I have had episodes of bleeding. The reason they try not to do it is for fear of introducing infection etc.

Having said this, there is nothing stopping you going up there and having a 'feel' yourself. I have done this for this pregnancy as I have had 2 episodes of false labour. I know I am dilating as I can insert 2 fingers through the cervix and touch the baby's head/membranes. It is really important to make sure your hands are really clean and perhaps its best to wait a few weeks as it can stir things up a bit and you don't want prem labour.

I have a feeling I won't be doing that at all. How petrifying haha!
Sign in to follow this topic