Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. 34 weeks and getting depressed

34 weeks and getting depressed Rss

hey im 34 weeks with my 2DD, i am starting to seriously suffer from depression most days and finding myself wanting this pregnancy to be o-v-e-r NOW...im not thinking of doing anything bad i just want to know if anyone else feels this way and how they dealt with it.

i do not have a partner but do have shared care of DD1 (aged 3) and live with my family.

just want some happy days to come into this pregnancy as i have suffered from Hyperemesis Gravidarum from 5 - 6 weeks in and been on my own since around 8 weeks =( help!!
I'm 34 weeks too with no.2. Im feeling over it as well! I'm so much bigger than last time and didnt feel as over it until 36 weeks. Although most of this pregnancy has gone quick - except when I had 9 weeks of morning sickness. But I'm hoping the next 6 weeks go quickly and I'm hoping this bub will come a little early.
I think most pregnant women even the ones who love being pregnant get over in the end its normal I think.
Hang in there we are on the home stretch!
Currently 37wks pregnant with DS3 and totally over it. All I can say is what you are feeling is pretty normal with any pregnancy that is not your first. I was so over this pregnancy at 32wks I was crying to my husband to 'get it out'. I think you 'get over it' so much quicker with subsequent pregnancies for several reasons but these are the ones that I have found:

1) You get bigger faster...so whale status sets in quicker making it harder to function.
2) Your body is tired and stretched already from a previous birth so there are a lot more niggles, aches and pains that make it more unpleasant.
3) You are running around after an older child and lets face it, its hard enough to keep up with them normally, let alone in your new whale-like sleep deprived status.
4)You've been here, done it before and you know what you are in for and that takes away some the the excitement about what is to come and your changing body.

Its important you talk about how you are feeling with your care provider so that they are aware of what is going on. I have been struggling with this pregnancy with a 2yr old and a 14mth old as well as a few painful complications so my Dr has agreed to give me a stretch and sweep at 37wks and an induction at 38wks so that I am not 'distressed' any longer than I have to be.

Currently 37wks pregnant with DS3 and totally over it. All I can say is what you are feeling is pretty normal with any pregnancy that is not your first. I was so over this pregnancy at 32wks I was crying to my husband to 'get it out'. I think you 'get over it' so much quicker with subsequent pregnancies for several reasons but these are the ones that I have found:

1) You get bigger faster...so whale status sets in quicker making it harder to function.
2) Your body is tired and stretched already from a previous birth so there are a lot more niggles, aches and pains that make it more unpleasant.
3) You are running around after an older child and lets face it, its hard enough to keep up with them normally, let alone in your new whale-like sleep deprived status.
4)You've been here, done it before and you know what you are in for and that takes away some the the excitement about what is to come and your changing body.

Its important you talk about how you are feeling with your care provider so that they are aware of what is going on. I have been struggling with this pregnancy with a 2yr old and a 14mth old as well as a few painful complications so my Dr has agreed to give me a stretch and sweep at 37wks and an induction at 38wks so that I am not 'distressed' any longer than I have to be.

'whale-like' is probably the best description for how i have been feeling that i have heard yet, also interesting to hear that your doc is happy to start inducing you at 38 weeks, so i may talk to my midwife about this as she is the same one i had for my first child.

good to know that im not alone on this one though as alot of my friends are pregnant with their first child and heres me going - i really hate this while they are all so excited.
just a suggestion so dont bite.. Try thinking "differently" .. like what if I was NEVER able to experience this feeling of being pregnant... how does a person cope who is infertile??? just an alternative thinking method.

just a suggestion so dont bite.. Try thinking "differently" .. like what if I was NEVER able to experience this feeling of being pregnant... how does a person cope who is infertile??? just an alternative thinking method.

im sure that would work but really i just want to know how to manage the feelings that come with this not just remind myself others are also suffering. i have had one breeze pregnancy and now this one which is like a horror in comparison, i appreciate the beauty of pregnancy but im pretty sure they skip all the horrible things when promoting it
personally.. i wish I could be in your position to be lucky enough to have been pregs at all. smile
oh my i can see why then

i just have had 8 months of morning sickness, pain and uncontrollable emotions that i would rather werent so bad

best of luck for your future though
hence the suggestion.. of trying to see what it would be like if you just couldnt.. smile
I can understand where you are coming from!! I am only 4 weeks 4 days pregnant, and my nausea started 10 days even before my P was due!! I've had Hyperemesis Gravidarum, with both my previous pregnancies (the last one sadly resulted in a m/c at 12 weeks, and I am really not looking forward to the HG this time round either...

I can certainly appreciate women who want to be pregnant and it isn't happening for them, I have a great deal of empathy. I was concerned and worried when it took us quite awhile to conceive this time. However, I also have to say, without experiencing HG, it is almost impossible to imagine what it is like. I certainly could never have imagined what it is actually like, the severe never ending nausea and vomiting, lack of sleep (from feeling so ill), dreaming of food and water, knowing that you can't keep it down, excess saliva that you can't swallow without vomiting, intense smells that make you vomit, (that you woulnd't usually smell!) extreme thirst (not being able to hold anything down), the vomiting 20 - 30 times or more in a 24 hour period, hospitalisation, concern for the baby, depression, collapsed veins from dehydration (meaning it takes hospital staff 3 - 5 times to insert drip for re-hydration.... plus dealing with many hospital staff and Drs that don't actually understand HG and therefore can make it worse!

Seriously no one would wish this even on their worst enemy..

smile

Anyway, just painting a picture of what it is like to experience HG, in comparison to 'morning sickness'

I wish everyone well with their pregnancies, and trying to conceive.

Cheers

I can understand where you are coming from!! I am only 4 weeks 4 days pregnant, and my nausea started 10 days even before my P was due!! I've had Hyperemesis Gravidarum, with both my previous pregnancies (the last one sadly resulted in a m/c at 12 weeks, and I am really not looking forward to the HG this time round either...

I can certainly appreciate women who want to be pregnant and it isn't happening for them, I have a great deal of empathy. I was concerned and worried when it took us quite awhile to conceive this time. However, I also have to say, without experiencing HG, it is almost impossible to imagine what it is like. I certainly could never have imagined what it is actually like, the severe never ending nausea and vomiting, lack of sleep (from feeling so ill), dreaming of food and water, knowing that you can't keep it down, excess saliva that you can't swallow without vomiting, intense smells that make you vomit, (that you woulnd't usually smell!) extreme thirst (not being able to hold anything down), the vomiting 20 - 30 times or more in a 24 hour period, hospitalisation, concern for the baby, depression, collapsed veins from dehydration (meaning it takes hospital staff 3 - 5 times to insert drip for re-hydration.... plus dealing with many hospital staff and Drs that don't actually understand HG and therefore can make it worse!

Seriously no one would wish this even on their worst enemy..

smile

Anyway, just painting a picture of what it is like to experience HG, in comparison to 'morning sickness'

I wish everyone well with their pregnancies, and trying to conceive.

Cheers

worded so perfectly!!! i have a best mate who had HG also and she felt the same in terms of peoples reactions to it.

its so true unless you experience this you just can't understand it. mine is finally clearing now that im on my last month which is amazing!!

but i hope everything goes well for you it can't be easy with HG ontop of everything else
About 2wks ago I went for nearly a whole week of feeling down and depressed. I think it was made worse by guilt, that I shouldn't feel so down when there are others out there that aren't as lucky as I am. Also that pregnancy is supposed to be a wonderous time, but the fact is it can downright be hard at times. Unless you've been through it you can't be one to judge how it feels to have such demands on your body. Some are luckier than others though and every pregnancy is different.

Telling a woman that she should enjoy being pregnant because at least she has experienced it could be on the same wave length as telling a new mum with PND that she should snap out of it because at least she has a beautiful baby. There are times during pregnancy when you can get very depressed and it's not something you can always just come out of that easily. Please don't feel bad kay8805 for venting about the negative side of pregnancy, I certainly am with you! Doesn't mean we hate being pregnant or are ungrateful in any way. At least we only have a month or so and then it will be all worth it, onto all the challenges of newborns haha smile

DS - Nov 2008 & DD - Feb 2012

Sign in to follow this topic