Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. is it possiable for newborn to self settle

is it possiable for newborn to self settle Lock Rss

i was visiting a friend of mine that has just recently had a baby boy. i noticed that she put the newborn (just a week old) in his cot wide awake. she had a mobile that had stars on the roof, for him to look at. he was crying, and i left before finding out if he eventually put himself to sleep. i was wondering if anyone else has done this with a newborn or should they be cuddled/cradled to sleep.
i am 35 weeks pregnant, so would like some options of my own
My DS did self settle a bit when he was a newborn but it was only because he had an easygoing personality and we non-verbally communicated with each other well.

There were times that I had to just feed him and put him to bed awake because I had two others to tend to and most of the time he would be happy and if he wasn't I would get him asap.

I would not leave a distressed newborn to selfsettle because it discourages trust. If your baby trusts that you will see to its needs- because comfort is a need- and is that way inclined then yes it is possible. smile

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

My newborn self settled himself for the first 3 weeks I think. He was just so easy going. I'd change him, BF him and he would be awake but sleepy and I would just put him in his bassinet and he would go off to sleep for another 4 hours. Very easy baby smile

I wouldn't let a 1 week old cry though. Not for any period of time.

If my baby was a crier though I would definitely cuddle to sleep.

I would not leave a distressed newborn to selfsettle because it discourages trust. If your baby trusts that you will see to its needs- because comfort is a need- and is that way inclined then yes it is possible. smile

^^ yes, that smile
Very possible but would never leave them to cry themselves to sleep. I regularly put dd down so I can go to the toilet or help the other kids with something and when I come back she's put herself to sleep. If I put her down and she was crying I wouldnt just leave her. The majority of the time I either hold her until she's asleep or sit next to her and rest my hand on her while she goes to sleep.
My DS did from about one week old. But it's not that I expected him too... I was actually quite surprised when it happend!! And he self settled ever since. He was always a very easy going baby/toddler.

As the PP said, I would never leave a distressed newborn to cry though. And would have had no hesitation in cuddling/rocking him to sleep for the first month or two at least if it was needed smile

i was visiting a friend of mine that has just recently had a baby boy. i noticed that she put the newborn (just a week old) in his cot wide awake. she had a mobile that had stars on the roof, for him to look at. he was crying, and i left before finding out if he eventually put himself to sleep. i was wondering if anyone else has done this with a newborn or should they be cuddled/cradled to sleep.
i am 35 weeks pregnant, so would like some options of my own

Read the book Save Our Sleep...amazing!! Its all about self settling and getting your baby into a routine. I just read it and last night my 3 week old slept from 1040pm to 0530!
my newborn has been settling himself to sleep - that said though I normally put him down drowsy and he will often just drift off, sometimes with just one random "wah" but never continuous crying. I think routine helps too.

Sign in to follow this topic