Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. low iron, which tablets worked best for you?

low iron, which tablets worked best for you? Lock Rss

lovely midday call from my midwife "your iron levels are low, you need to take tablets." Crap, crap and triple crap. Now low iron is nothing new to me, before finding out I was pregnant I was a vegetation and had been for 9 years, my body has a problem storing iron so the reason I started eating meat again was due to the problems I have had with low iron and came to the decision to eat meat to try and boost up my system for baby. Tablets, supplements etc haven't worked for me, I just end up throwing them up and this was before I had never ending morning sickness to contend with. It's a hassle just trying to keep down my pregnancy vitamins each day. Prior to pregnancy I had iron injections monthly, which are the most painful thing I have ever experienced (I'm sure childbirth will teach me otherwise) and left me feeling sick for the week following, and the midwife doesn't want me having the injections at the moment, so I am left with trying to find a good iron tablet to take (twice a day for a week, once a day after) that won't make me run to the bathroom and throw it up.
So anyone have to take the horrid tablets? Which ones worked for you without needing to lay down for a hours with a bucket by your head?
I had low iron, I never used the tablets because I also thought they did nothing for me. I went to a health care store though and they referred me to this liquid iron which you mix in with drinks. The taste is quite strong but it did the trick.
Its called Spatone Pregnancy plus.
Whether it works for you or not is a different story smile
I always find it hard to find something that works for me these days
Hope it helps

mummygee wrote:
I had low iron, I never used the tablets because I also thought they did nothing for me. I went to a health care store though and they referred me to this liquid iron which you mix in with drinks. The taste is quite strong but it did the trick.
Its called Spatone Pregnancy plus.
Whether it works for you or not is a different story smile
I always find it hard to find something that works for me these days
Hope it helps

I'll try it! At this point I'll try anything tongue
Skippy And The Greek wrote:
Ferro-grad C - It's a red bottle
I had no idea about iron tablets and when the doctors said i needed some i bought a few different brands and what not by asking the chemist because i didn't know what i needed, just that i needed iron tablets. So after trying a few brands i got fed up and pissed and told the doctors just to tell me which sodding brand i was suppose to be taking to get the effect i needed. None of this pregnancy suppliment and what not crap. They said get Ferro-Grad C, the C helps digest better. Theres one without the C but apparently the C is better.

I had Ferro -Grad green ones without the C. I only took them every 2nd day because they can cause constipation.

I had no idea about iron tablets and when the doctors said i needed some i bought a few different brands and what not by asking the chemist because i didn't know what i needed, just that i needed iron tablets. So after trying a few brands i got fed up and pissed and told the doctors just to tell me which sodding brand i was suppose to be taking to get the effect i needed. None of this pregnancy suppliment and what not crap. They said get Ferro-Grad C, the C helps digest better. Theres one without the C but apparently the C is better.

I remember that one! That was the last one my old doctor put me on before the injection, my stomach couldn't handle it. He didn't believe me and made me take one in front of him to prove it.. I wonder if he got the spew stain out of the carpet.
Dani + 1 wrote:
Crimson_Ribbons wrote:
Crap, crap and triple crap.
Usually iron supplements have the reverse effect laugh
lol sorry. immature.

Sounds a bit odd as usually they prescribe something in this situation... Otherwise you could switch your preggy vitamin to something with more iron in it. Elevit maybe? I would call her back and see exactly what she suggets you take as you can't take some supplements while pregnant. or pop in and chat to a pharmacist.

Also you can do a couple of things to make sure you are getting more iron out of what you are eating, like team iron rich foods with vit c, eat raw leafy greens as opposed to cooked etc

I just took straight unbranded iron tablets prescribed by my midwife.

haha, that caused me to giggle. I have an appointment on Tuesday so I'll wait till then and see what she has to say smile
ah, I love this website, I get so much help and laughs along the way! Thanks for all the input ladies, hopefully I can find one that I keep down.
I found the best to be 'Red Iron' available in health food shops. It is liquid, has no taste and is a very good quality iron. It's about $46 dollars a bottle but you only need 1ml per day. I take it with grape juice. smile
HappyHead wrote:
Try Floradix Floravital - liquid supplement from either a chemist or health food shop, probably cheaper at a chemist.

The liquid supplements are more easily absorbed by your body than the tablet forms.

I use this in my house too for the whole family. You can get one with extra iron in it too. I also highly recommend this brand.

Also if you can handle the taste Black strap molasses is great for iron levels. When I was pregnant with my DS I had porridge with Organic Blackstrap Molasses every morning for my iron levels because they were low and it worked really well for me. I don't recommend it as the only option for a person who does not store iron well, but it is a great helper wink

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

Do whatever you can to get your iron up!!!

I have trouble absorbing iron too (not vegetarian) & in the past I was told to take Ferrograd C, but it didn't make much difference... I've also had iron injections every second day, but still not enough of a difference. In November (at 28wks), I ended up being hospitlised & having an iron infusion. You really want to avoid that if you can!

I take ferro-grad c also. Elevit won't have enough iron for you. I was already taking it when I was told my iron levels were still too low & I needed something else. Also get some Metamucil or benefibre & make sure you take it at least once a day maybe even twice with your pills. But with your iron issues I'm sure you already know about that affect!

HappyHead wrote:
Try Floradix Floravital - liquid supplement from either a chemist or health food shop, probably cheaper at a chemist.

The liquid supplements are more easily absorbed by your body than the tablet forms.

+1. I would go with this stuff too.
Sign in to follow this topic