Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Help with early scans Lock Rss

Hi All! I am just wondering what scans i will be able to have? My midwife wanted me to have a dating scan which said i was 7 weeks 3 days pregnant. I am now worried that i now won't be entitled to the 12 week scan? so am just wondering if anyone else has been in my situation and did you get the normal 12 week scan as well as your dating scan?
Hey I just had my first dating scan on Wednesday, it found that I was 6 weeks 4 days....I am still able to have my 12 week scan because they will be able to see so much more in a few weeks. I know all doctors are different but I'm sure you will be fine to have a 12 week scan as well.

MellieBelly wrote:
Hi All! I am just wondering what scans i will be able to have? My midwife wanted me to have a dating scan which said i was 7 weeks 3 days pregnant. I am now worried that i now won't be entitled to the 12 week scan? so am just wondering if anyone else has been in my situation and did you get the normal 12 week scan as well as your dating scan?

I don't know exactly what you mean, are you asking about what free scans you are entitled to? As a general rule, most people can have a dating scan in the first 12 weeks if you have doubts about dates, then there is the nuchal translucency scan (done between 11 and 13 weeks) that checks for risk factors for downs syndrome and then there is the fetal morphology scan at 18 - 20 weeks.

That said, I had a scan at 6, 10, 13, 20 and 26 weeks - the 6, 10 and 26 because my doc wanted to. I had to pay for all of them

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

I'm in NZ and I think I've had about 8 scans with this pregnancy!
I had a dating scan at 7.5 weeks and another scan at 10 weeks (when my HCG levels dropped) and I still got the 12 week one.
The 12 scan (or NT scan) MUST be done between 11 and 13 weeks so that they can get an accurate measurement on the fold behind the baby's neck to check for downs syndrome and other things, so having a dating scan will definitely not effect that at all. You will also have to do blood tests at the same time.
Your 20 week scan (or anatomy scan) is to check that bub has all the right bits and pieces in the right places and check on the development. It also needs to be done at this time because after 22/23 weeks bub gets a bit too squashed for accurate measurements.
You may also need to have growth scans later in your pregnancy ~ I have had these every two weeks since 33 weeks.

You won't need to pay for any of these scans, as long as your MW has written you a referral smile

I had my scan in Plamerston North and was charged $50 for my 12 week scan and that is with a mw referral so I thinks it depends where you are. Since you don't have to have a 12w scan some place do charge. I also paid $5 for a cd of bubs

http://tinyurl.com/ycnyhfh

I didn't realise it varied so much in New Zealand. I had the dating scan, 12 week scan, 20 week scan and another 2 (with all 3 of my bubs) just because I had an awesome midwife who sent me for them just because she could. I had the option of going to the public hospital for the scans, where I wasn't guaranteed a pic of bubs because they had a habit of running out of paper, or going to a clinic in a private hospital where I had to pay around $35 for the 1st 3 scans and then it was free. I would've thought being such a small country that it wouldn't be so varied, maybe it's a North vs South thing haha

Sign in to follow this topic