Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. My rights when it comes to heavy lifting???

My rights when it comes to heavy lifting??? Lock Rss

I'm hoping maybe someone can help me out when it comes to my rights at work and heavy lifting. I work in the nursing industry in the community where I have to transport clients some of those do require a wheel chair. So yesterday at work I arrived and had a look at my run for the day and noticed I had to transport a large lady and I also had to take the very heavy wheelchair from work.....I struggled putting the wheel chair in my car before I was pregnant which made me even more concerned this time round since I am 24 weeks pregnant....my boss arrived and I confronted her about this matter and she didn't seem at all concerned all she said was its your job you have to do it...even after I told her I am at risk of bleeding again...I then proceeded to trying to put the very heavy wheelchair in the back of my car and of course the silly thing fell back onto me while I was lifting it.... I a,somhad to push this very heavy lady around..imhad the same issue last week strugglingmto puch a large man around in a wheelchair, there are other workers who can do the heavy lifting and i can do lighter duties but for some weird reason my boss gives me all the heavy clients and hardnruns....I am so so sore now on my lower stomach and right side...I keep getting sharp pains and I. Quite concerned. My df is furious I was forced to do this yesterday and the fact it is causing me quite a bit of pain. Is it legal for my boss to force me to lift an object that has aused me this much pain?? Thanks in advanced

.








Hope you're a member of the QNU. Even if you're not, they can give you advice. If you are, and your workplace is unwilling to cooperate they can step in and deal with your workplace on your behalf. Are you in public or private sector? In public there are a lot of OH&S policies to protect you, though I am not familiar with private, I imagine your work contract would have similar.




Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Skubala wrote:
Hope you're a member of the QNU. Even if you're not, they can give you advice. If you are, and your workplace is unwilling to cooperate they can step in and deal with your workplace on your behalf. Are you in public or private sector? In public there are a lot of OH&S policies to protect you, though I am not familiar with private, I imagine your work contract would have similar.



Unfortunately I'm not a member of a nurses union...I'm employed as casual my work didn't offer for me to join their nursing union I wish I had gone out and found my own now. I work for a nursing home. Ive been looking up nursing unions that I can call and get advice...something needs to be done.

.








mum2onelittleman wrote:
Skubala wrote:
Hope you're a member of the QNU. Even if you're not, they can give you advice. If you are, and your workplace is unwilling to cooperate they can step in and deal with your workplace on your behalf. Are you in public or private sector? In public there are a lot of OH&S policies to protect you, though I am not familiar with private, I imagine your work contract would have similar.


Unfortunately I'm not a member of a nurses union...I'm employed as casual my work didn't offer for me to join their nursing union I wish I had gone out and found my own now. I work for a nursing home. Ive been looking up nursing unions that I can call and get advice...something needs to be done.


The Queensland Nurses Union is the main one. It's independently run. Your employer does not have to encourage you to join but they also cannot refuse or discriminate against you for joining. They allow AIN's, personal carers and casuals to join and the fees are very reasonable - I'm an RN and my fees are about 20 a fortnight which includes my indemnity insurance. I would highly recommend that you call QNU, take out a membership and ask for advice and possibly help in this matter. Regardless of being pregnant or not, nursing is notorious for back and shoulder injuries due to the nature of the work and it is totally unacceptable for your workplace to put you at such a risk and even more so now that you have your baby to think about. Your workplace legally must provide you with a safe work environment by minimising risks with appropriate training and equipment. I think you should stand your ground firm on this




Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Thank you so much for your advice I really do appreciate it. First thing tomorrow morning I will be calling the QLD nurses union and I'm going to join. It's worth every cent especially when it comes to this matter. I'm tired of being pushed around in my job it's about time I do something and put a stop to it.

.








Axiom wrote:
How large are these people? speak to your Occ health & safety rep. Usually people above 90kg (legally) require 2 staff to push them.




These clients would be over 100kg easily...my clients showed more concern about me pushing them than what my boss did...quite disappointing really

.








mum2onelittleman wrote:
Thank you so much for your advice I really do appreciate it. First thing tomorrow morning I will be calling the QLD nurses union and I'm going to join. It's worth every cent especially when it comes to this matter. I'm tired of being pushed around in my job it's about time I do something and put a stop to it.


Yep, I think it's important for every nurse to be a member. If you are in the unfortunate position of being injured, discriminated etc in the workplace they will give you free advice and free legal support and work to get the best outcome for you. Hope they can help you. Having known a few nurses who were injured due to poor workplace conditions, it really angers me that employees get used and abused. Good luck




Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

You must be part of a union!! The big one for me in SA is that our union provides indemnity insurance. I don't think its worth not having this.

Your workplace needs to be providing an appropriate vehicle for wheelchairs like a minivan with a ramp. Australian hospitals are supposed to be 'no lift' hospitals and there is no reason why you should be made to lift anything. This 'should' be applied to community nurses too.

What will your boss do if you mention workers comp due to injury to yourself and/or your baby?




chalys 'n' J wrote:
You must be part of a union!! The big one for me in SA is that our union provides indemnity insurance. I don't think its worth not having this.

Your workplace needs to be providing an appropriate vehicle for wheelchairs like a minivan with a ramp. Australian hospitals are supposed to be 'no lift' hospitals and there is no reason why you should be made to lift anything. This 'should' be applied to community nurses too.

What will your boss do if you mention workers comp due to injury to yourself and/or your baby?



I think if I mentioned workers comp due to injury she would flip out on me and give me the same responce that this is my job and I need to do it. Even when I went back into the office after my shift yesterday and told her what happened she tried to show me different ways of lifting the heavy wheelchair but it still meant it was fully resting on my stomach..she then said you will just have to work out a way that works for me to pick the wheel chair up as I will have to do it again

.








We have an article on our site which you might like to read through; Pregnancy and Workplace Hazards smile

Well she's not very smart if she'd flip out and still give you that work. When I'm at work if there is anything that risks my back (because I already have a dodgy back) I flatly refuse to do it. I say its an oh&s risk and I don't have to do it. I havn't been told off for it once, in fact most times staff will agree with me and we will work out what needs to be done about it.

Its just not worth your baby.... Imagine how much you'd hate yourself if something happened.

Get a drs certificate saying no heavy lifting, light duties only. Your boss needs a kick up the rear.




Have a look at the fair work website - it has information about all of your rights.

Basically, regardless of the industry, your employer has to make provisions for you when pregnant. This includes changing duties (even if it is in your job description). You don't need to be a member of a union - it is the entitlement for all women in the workplace.

If your boss keeps at it, you can report her to fair work or contact the fair work ombudsman and they will help you out. If possible, it is a good idea to have something in writing - e.g. write an email to your boss along the lines of "following our discussion I would like to reiterate that I feel unable to lift etc etc".

Hope you are feeling better and the pains are just some pulled muscles or something not serious smile
Sign in to follow this topic