Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Anyone pregnant and going to work asap after bub appears?

Anyone pregnant and going to work asap after bub appears? Lock Rss

Hey ladies,

I am 25 weeks pregnant with my first bub, 21 years old and single. The recent horrendous breakup with my ex is completed different long winded sob story!!

Any who....I am currently living with my parents and will be moving out and on my own with my baby girl in October. Doing this on my own, and having a personal loan to pay off means I will have to get back to work as soon as possible (likely when bub is 6 weeks old and can be put into day care) after she is born.

I am struggling a little bit with thinking how much I would prefer to be at home with her for a while, but the reality is with the awful financial situation I'm in I can't afford centrelink. Any ideas with dealing with what I assume will be a future abandoning my newborn guilt as I leave her at day care? Would also love to hear from mums who have been there done that.......

Thanks for all the support xoxo
Sorry to hear about the break up, that has to be hard! I am 25 and am not financially set up either as the baby was a surprise. I was going to return to work straight away until I found out I was entitled to the parental leave. People still think it's strange I am only taking the 18 weeks off... but unless they are or have been in a similar situation I don't expect them to understand. I only work 30 hours a week and my manager is so nice he will probably let me cut my hours even more if need be. You will figure out what the best option is for you. Don't feel bad if you need to lean on other people. =) I'm lucky enough to have a very supportive family who are going to look after our little boy while we are at work, it was hard asking for help but everyone jumped at the opportunity to look after him instead of taking him to daycare. Would it be possible to stay with your parents a little longer? I know it may be hard thinking of that as an option because you want to have your own space and be able to support yourself... but it's not like it would be forever... just until you can get on your feet smile If you ever need someone to talk to feel free to message me smile

Thanks for the replies and kind words everyone...I have booked in for tours at two local early learning centres in a couple weeks to get the ball rolling and my name on some waitlists smile

Willa&Poppy'sMumma- Thanks for the lovely words!! Ive just gotta try and prepare myself for it as much as I can hey.

CKBishop- My parents would be willing to let me stay a little longer, but I have put them through the ringer over the last year so don't want them to have a screaming kid in their house any longer than I have to sad I know alot of people will say its a big mistake, but financially it really is my only option hey.

Little miss's - yeah I won't be able to afford to live off centrelink due to the loan I am paying off. I have had appointments with them to find out too.

Axiom - with the contact I have had with centrelink I will be eligible to receive significant rebates on Childcare and will only need to pay less than $100 for an entire 5 day week.

Hi there and congratulations!
what ever decision you make Im sure things will work out fine!
You know parents love to help out and you mentioned that parents dont want to hear a screaming baby
well I can tell you from experience your still young and I think that your parents would love to help you out if you let them. If amazing being a parent /grandparent its really the most satisfing experience..\

if you stayed at home you could pay off your loan and get ahead , I personally think you are going to need support its just so much easier to get the help while you can
if you decide to move out thats all good too Im sure they will come over and help you out
good luck
I know a single mother of two children.
She gets
Family tax a
Family tax b
Rent assistance
Low income
Single parent pension
Health care card -free script , doctors may as well be free, percentage of utility bills.

Without taking into account her discounts she gets $2000 a fortnight. My husband earns that working six days a week!

You will bet baby bonus or paid parental leave for six months after birth. Baby bonus is a lump sum to start and then a bit over $300 a fortnight

Is there any reason you can't stay with your parents? Or another family member?

Sweet Im not trying to guilt you but Im going to be honest.
Babies need their mummy. Especially so young. And as a mum it will be so hard for you to leave bub.
You'll have rough nights and be so tired you won't want to think about work.
When at work it will be hard to think about much other than how bub is.
And i think you will look back and have a lot of regret.

I take my hat off to those women who do make it work because it would be so hard emotionally. But i think if they could find a way to stay home longer they would.

Hugs.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

~NoDdY~ wrote:
She gets
Family tax a
Family tax b
Rent assistance
Low income
Single parent pension
Health care card -free script , doctors may as well be free, percentage of utility bills.

Without taking into account her discounts she gets $2000 a fortnight. My husband earns that working six days a week!

When DD2 was born I was a single mum of 3 and I got all the above payments accept low income, not sure what that is? However I got no where near $2000 a fortnight, I think you are best to ring centrelink and find out what payments you will be entitled to. I think staying with your parents is a good option until you can pay off your debts a bit.

I would try and do everything you can to avoid putting a six weekl old baby into child care, they are not immunised fully and will catch everything going around, which in the long run could see you having more time off work anyway, but I understand sometimes these hings can't be avoided.
Hi there, sorry to hear about your situation sad

I just wanted to let you know that I CHOSE to go back to work part time and put my first baby in daycare when she was just 11 weeks old. I didn't need the money at all, I was ready to get out of the house for a few hrs a week. My daughter never got sick and she has always been an extremely independent and happy child. She is in no way damaged from going to daycare so young smile

It was very hard to leave her those first few times, I cried my eyes out lol she didn't though, and the staff adored her so much. I have never once regretted my decision although many people have told me I'm a horrible mum for choosing to put her in when I really didn't have to sad

I would look into centrelink a bit more. They aren't very reliable and consistent with the info they give. All of the payments you are entitled would have to be pretty close to what you'd earn working if not more and you will get child support too (providing the father isn't too much of a douche)

Good luck with it all grin

~NoDdY~ wrote:
She gets
Family tax a
Family tax b
Rent assistance
Low income
Single parent pension

You will bet baby bonus or paid parental leave for six months after birth. Baby bonus is a lump sum to start and then a bit over $300 a fortnight

Is there any reason you can't stay with your parents? Or another family member?

Sweet Im not trying to guilt you but Im going to be honest.
Babies need their mummy. Especially so young. And as a mum it will be so hard for you to leave bub.
You'll have rough nights and be so tired you won't want to think about work.
When at work it will be hard to think about much other than how bub is.
And i think you will look back and have a lot of regret.

I take my hat off to those women who do make it work because it would be so hard emotionally. But i think if they could find a way to stay home longer they would.

Hugs.
bloody hell! dh earns that a fortnight!
Oc
I know! Personally don't think its fair. Her kids are 2.5 and 1 and their dad has them sometimes and is happy to buy things for the kids.
Im pretty sure he still as her car loan repayments too.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I went back to work full-time when my dd was 3 1/2months old. She was raised in childcare. She has turned out ok. She is 17 now. My only regret was missing out on all of her things that I was invited to go to for kindy and school.

I am now a full-time sahm to a ds. So different this time around.

My point is either way your child will be ok.

Sign in to follow this topic