Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Sport during pregnancy Rss

Unfortunately this site no longer has its Health and Fitness Expert, so i will put this query out to everyone.
I am 12wks pregnant and playing Hockey. It is quite an aggressive sport, but in all my years of playing I have never been hit or injured in the midsection. Other than strains / sprains and numerous bruises to the arms and legs, it isn't too bad. Most serious injuries come in the way of broken wrists / hands, cuts or being hit in the head with stick or ball.
Geez, I make it out to sound so violent. If you play Hockey you will know what I mean and it won't sound so bad.
Anyway, how long do people think I should keep playing for? The season has only just started and I did a lot of preseason training to get fit. I have also paid $400 in fees. I really don't want to quit until I have to. It is the only thing that is keeping me sane at the moment. My pregnancy has been in less than desirable circumstances and Hockey is the only thing that makes me feel good at the moment.
Any advice?

Karen & Blake (8/11/2006)

I UNDERSTAND ABOUT THE SPORT BEING THE ONLY THING THAT KEEPS YOU SANE i PLAYED NETBALL AND DIDN'T WANT TO STOP FOR THE SAME REASONS. i DON'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT HOCKEY BUT i WAS TOLD BY MY DOCTOR THAT I COULD PLAY FOR AS LONG AS i WAS COMFTABLE. HAVE YOU TALKED TO YOUR DOCTOR OR MIDWIFE ABOUT IT THAT IS PROBABLY THE BEST THING TO DO.

Rylee 2 big brother to Tyler mummy angel boys

Hi

I love playing hockey also but am not playing at the moment (not due to pregnancy). I have been injured several times but would be a bit hesitant to play now as I have been hurt quite badly from being hit by astray hockey balls. I would get the doctors opinion first if it were me but if he/she were to say it is fine and I felt comfortable doing it I would.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

love that i have come across this! i realise this is a few weeks old now what did you decide? i am in the same boat as you! im 22 weeks and still playing, i love it and dont want to stop but know that i eventually will have to. i also understand that its not as dangerous as most people think i try tell everyone im more likely to get a ball to the head than the stomach area. we have a 17 month old and i played a whole season while pregnant with him and he was a very healthy 9lb6 baby. i blame hockey for making him so big as neither or us are big people. i think in the finals i was around 24 ish weeks pregnant with him but i didnt really show until 30 weeks with him. id love to hear when you are thinking of finishing. it may help me decide also! smile
As much as you might love the sport, I would be very cautious about playing again while pregnant. I was told by my doctor no contact sports while pregnant for obvios reasons, I get hockey is not really a contact sport, but can easily become one unintentionally. For the safety of the child I would stop playing. If u were to receive a knock in the belly or even just fall over, thats all it takes to miscarry. In my opinion, pregnancy and sport dont mix. Unless its like lawn bowls or somthing not dangerous lol

Sign in to follow this topic