Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Stomach Muscel Spasms Lock Rss

I'm worried, please help......

I'm 16 weeks pregnant and at night i'm experiencing leg cramps (my leg litterally shakes) and then when i go to stretch i feel this shiver and almost shaking feeling in my tummy.

I'm worried my baby is in danger. Is anyone experiencing the same? Please help!!!!

Thanks
for the leg cramps a simlple google search came up with

What is causing my painful leg cramps?
It's probably a combination of things that lead your leg muscles to seize up and cause the shooting pain of cramp.

Your muscles are bearing the increasing weight of your baby, and are probably feeling the strain. Your growing uterus (womb) will be putting pressure on the main vein from your legs. This, combined with the effects of the pregnancy hormone progesterone affects the muscle tone in your legs.

Your leg cramps may be happening because you have a shortage of nutrients and salts, such as calcium or magnesium, circulating in your blood. This shortage occurs because your baby is taking what she needs from your body's supplies and leaving you short. However, it's not clear whether taking supplements, such as calcium or magnesium salts, helps to prevent cramps.

All this means your tired leg muscles seize up and cramp in protest, especially during your second and third trimester. The pain can wake you from a deep sleep.
Is there anything I can do to stop it from happening?
You could try some of these practical measures during the day. They may help you to have a cramp-free sleep:

Calf stretches. Stand a metre from a wall and lean forwards with your arms outstretched to touch the wall. Keep the soles of your feet flat on the floor. Hold for five seconds. Repeat the exercise for five minutes, three times a day, especially before going to bed.

Drink plenty of liquid. If you're worried about having to get up in the night for trips to the loo, try drinking almost nothing for an hour or two before bedtime. Just make sure you drink at least eight to 10 glasses of water during the day.

Daily foot exercises. Bend and stretch each foot vigorously up and down 30 times. Then rotate each foot eight times one way and eight times the other way .

Try not to stand for long periods or sit with your legs crossed.

At night-time:

Have a warm bath before going to bed.

Try not to sleep with your toes pointing downwards.

Read our article on natural remedies for cramp.
How to get rid of leg cramps
If you're woken by a cramp, stretch the muscle straight away. Straighten your leg, heel first, and gently flex your ankles and toes. It might hurt at first, but the pain will gradually go away. You can also relax the cramp by massaging the muscle. If this doesn't work, you may have to get out of bed and walk around for a few minutes.

If your muscle pain is constant and not just an occasional cramp, or if you notice swelling or tenderness in your leg, contact your doctor. In rare cases (one in 2,000) a pregnant woman can develop a blood clot which lodges in the leg vein (venous thromboembolism). When this happens, it needs emergency treatment.

http://www.babycenter.com.au/a547374/leg-cramps...

as for the stomach have you lifted anything heavy?

Nah i have'nt lifed anything.

I just rang and spoke with a midwife just to be sure, She said the leg cramps are normal but not sure of the stomach. It could be cause my body is uptight and the cramp travels. I said i wanted to be sure it was normal and she said she cannot confirm if it's normal for the tummy!

I only get these spasms at night whilst alseep.

I feel so emotional as i thought the midwife was not helpful and she made me feel like i was worrying for nothing! This is my first pregnancy so all these feelings we go through we don't know what's normal or not.

Thank you for your reply smile much appreciated
Sign in to follow this topic