Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Maternity costs! Lock Rss

This will be my second pregnancy in Australia. I'm still gobsmacked at some of the costs of health care. Never realised how lucky we were with the maternity care system in NZ!

I'm just curious what sort of costs people have paid for their 12 week scans?
this is the first time ive had one here and I have been advised mine will be $155. Is there generally a rebate of some kind for this? Some other mums have said they have to pay for the blood tests too, is this normal?!

QLD ladies- did you have a midwife?
I didn't have the 12 week scan because of the cost and dr didn't think its a necessary scan. its about $240(??) around here. There are bulk billing places if you can find one in your area, but not sure if 12 week scan is bulk billed as its not seen as a "essential" scan. the main one is the 19-21 week morphology scan which was bulk billed so cost me nothing.

eta: If you go through the public hospitals midwife program the blood tests, other scans ect will be free at the hospital.

I went through public for both of my kids and the only thing I ever had to pay for was the 12 week blood test, think it was about $130 but got some back on Medicare. Absolutely no other costs at all
I haven't had to pay anything at all for my pregnancy. I went through public and bulk billing doctors. The only amount ill have to pay is the excess at he hospital when she's out
The hospital don't do any of the scans (unless later ones are required, ie in 3rd trimester). They have to be outsourced and I have not heard of any bulk billing scan places around.
The nuchal translucency scan is considered a pretty important scan in NZ, I'm surprised to hear it might be considered an unnecessary scan here.
The system here with regards to mat care is so different! I'm hoping I have an easier time with it this time round!

I have had 2 daughters publicly in QLD. Both had a dating scan between 7 and 9 weeks and then the 20 week scans.
I haven't paid a dollar yet....

country_yobbo wrote:
I have had 2 daughters publicly in QLD. Both had a dating scan between 7 and 9 weeks and then the 20 week scans.
I haven't paid a dollar yet....

So, no NT scan? I'm seeing more and more that this isn't considered an important scan in Auz. Do you mind me asking where you had your scans?
I had the scans done at Longreach Hospital.
I hadn't even heard of a NT scan until my second pregnancy. Due to location I would have had to travel 500kms to get it apparently. Wasn't offered it with second pregnancy either but at least I knew it existed and could have asked for it if I wanted.

SillyStacey wrote:
Medicare will rebate up to 3 ultrasounds but the 12 week ultrascan is not applicable to the rebate for some reason :-/

Unless things have changed in the last 18 months Medicare will rebate as many ultrasounds that you have (except the NT 12wk) I had about 11 u/s with ds due to IUGR and other issues and got rebates on all of them smile
We're are you in qld I'm a kiwi to and have found the whole system a lot different and expensive compared to back home really miss not having a midwive all the way through I paid for all my scans at the hospital and had about $60 rebated for each one I didnt have to pay for bloodtests as the gp I was seeing bulk billed but have now moved towns and am seeing the local gp for my antenatal visit we are over a hour from the hospital so just though would be easier and I have to pay 75 each visit and get 30 back at the time don't really understand the Medicare stuff or what we have to pay for in hospital if anything when we have bubs ??

Emma and jellybean wrote:
I haven't had to pay anything at all for my pregnancy. I went through public and bulk billing doctors. The only amount ill have to pay is the excess at he hospital when she's out

What was the excess??

SillyStacey wrote:
Lovemyfam I got told that they only rebate 3 ultrasounds When I went in there on Friday after my scan to put in my receipt to get my rebate (which they didn't rebate) sad She could be wrong though. I'm due for another scan at 16 weeks so I will soon see if they rebate it because I've already had more than 3 ultrasounds. I'm really hoping they do rebate them because its cost us over $1000 in ultrasounds already

They rebate more than 3 IF they're medically necessary as requested by your dr. With my pregnancy with DD2 (start of this year) I was having scans every 2-4 weeks from 28 weeks on as I was a gestational diabetic, on insulin to control levels, and my fundal height was measuring 'ahead' so they were keeping a close eye on her growth. The place I went to bulk billed but commented that they could only do it because there was a medical reason for my dr to be requesting the extra scans.

Leisa.
Sign in to follow this topic