Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Are soothers OK in pregnancy? + Update on how I am :)

Are soothers OK in pregnancy? + Update on how I am :) Rss

Morning Ladies I hope you are all well smile

Well I have the dreaded cold and my throat is so sore and I have just about lost my voice. I was wondering if you know if Soothers are OK to use in pregnancy?
I'm just about 9 weeks YAY and if it wasn't for this cold I'd be feeling Great. Tiredness is easing up a little which is Great. I got my first appointment for the hospital yesterday which is a few weeks away yet. Loving being Pregnant for my last time and ds is so cute he keeps kissing my rounded tummy before he goes to sleep and says 'Night Baby'.
Yesterday I bought a bassinette for baby, I know I was trying to wait till after my 12 week scan to buy any big items but I couldn't resist plus it was on sale so I had to get a Bargain lol
Yesterday Miss P got her cast off which she was so happy for. The orthopaedic surgeons at the hospital were happy with how her arm felt and said no sport or stressing her arm for the next 6 weeks and then she is fine to resume normal activity. Her skin on her arm is Very dry and peeling especially in the arm joints and around her fingers but we'll be massaging her arm regularly throughout the day. Her cast had unfortunately rubbed a little blister near her thumb but that should heal soon too smile
So I've missed chatting with you all and hope life is treating you like Queens smile or Princesses smile xxxx

Mummy of 5 Gorgeous Babes smile
My newest Gorgeous Baby Boy arrived 1st January 2014 smile xxx

Thanks Nai smile Yeah I don't have a box at home and as the kids are all sick as well I didn't want to get everyone in the car and go out in the cold if they weren't lol But I'll maybe get dh to get me some and I'll read it when he brings it home smile
Yeah I am so Happy I feel I look obviously pregnant now but think thats due to it being my 4th pregnancy. dh said no one else would know I just look like I've eaten a big meal lol

Little Misses YAY for you being 12 weeks on Sunday. So happy that you'll be able to see your baby again on Monday. I'm hoping your morning sickness will ease up for you soon smile Will you be having another caesarean? I will be having my 4th caesarean and as the doctors are concerned of my scar they will be scanning my scar and bub at 34 weeks and if needed bub would be delivered anywhere from 35 weeks to 37 weeks. But I'm not worried as dd1 was delivered at 36 weeks, the twins at 37 weeks and ds at 38 weeks.

I was told recently I should avoid medicated throat soothers in pregnancy... Im not sure if this was an over cautious pharmacist or not tho! (Some are probably fine!)
I recently had a dreadful headcold/flu type thing - the health store naturopath suggested a really high dose vitamin c (the non acidic variety) and some tissue salts for congestion. (I took a mircogenics mega c high potency) both seemed to worked a treat for me!
All the best!
hi babes. glad to hear you and bubs are well other than the cold of course. How cute is your little man, kisssing your baby bump goodnight smile

good new for Miss P too, hopefully she wil be able to get back into her gymnastics once she has the all clear.

nothing much exciting here, the kids are growing up too quick. I have freaked myself out with the thought that my 'baby' will be 3 in October. Argh!

And sorry, I am not sure about the soothers.

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Hey love i was told not to have any soothers or cold medication. A no no...
Congrats on the pregnancy...I know how you are feeling I'm 10 weeks and also have a head cold, not much fun, especially coupled with dreadful morning sickness!!

Not sure whats in soothers but you can't have menthol in pregnancy which most throat lollies have. Tissue salts for first stage of illness are amazing I swear by them! (Brand is Schuessler) Gargling with warm salty water (yum!) works really well as does a teaspoon of honey. Other than that Panadol and saline nasal spray is about it...

Hope you feel better very soon!
Thank you ladies for your reply's smile OK I'm going to go on the side of caution and not use the ones dh bought home for me. On the pack it says nothing about use in pregnancy but I'd rather be safe with bub on board.
Thank you all for your recommendations smile
What is wrong with menthol in pregnancy? Just curious as I've never heard that.
I'm on a high dose Vitamin C atm and got a Hearty soup on atm .

Little Misses With my 3rd Caesarean when they delivered ds they said my scar was paper thin (their words) and that they wouldn't recommend another baby. But after talk with other doctors at the hospital I found the doctor that had delivered was against people having large family's and had told that to other mothers at their 3rd caesarean aswell but they had gone onto have 1 and in some cases 2 more caesareans with no problems. After lots of talks while I was recovering from ds's birth in hospital I ended up talking to the head obstetrician who said Yes my scar was thin but if I wanted subsequent baby's that I'd have extra monitoring with scans and they'd take Very Good Care of Bub and I.

My Beau & Belle wrote:
Yeah I think the opinions might differ but if your dh can get a box maybe just check. smile. You'll have to post a bump pic soon smile

Thanks Nai I looked on the packet and it doesn't say anything about use in Pregnancy but I'll be safe and not use them.
And Yes when I get to 12 weeks I'll post a Picture smile

Ok so I work in a pharmacy I really should know WHY menthol is not safe in pregnancy but I don't lol. I just know that we don't recommend it...I'm pretty sure its one of those things that just hasn't been studied enough to know what risks are associated, so better to be on the safe side and avoid it. Not many people seem to be aware of it at all actually smile
mum2h&d wrote:
Ok so I work in a pharmacy I really should know WHY menthol is not safe in pregnancy but I don't lol. I just know that we don't recommend it...I'm pretty sure its one of those things that just hasn't been studied enough to know what risks are associated, so better to be on the safe side and avoid it. Not many people seem to be aware of it at all actually smile

Thanks hun for your reply smile Yeah better to be safe than sorry smile xx

ive been told that medicated soothers are a no no, or any with methol in them. but try some honey and eucalyptus drops, theyll do the same job and are safe for bub (cheaper too) =) they dont have and medicated antihistamines or decongestants so they dont have that long term effect but will relieve some discomfort and clear the nasal passages a bit
Sign in to follow this topic