Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Gest Diabetes Lock Rss

I've had it twice, feel free to PM if you want to chat about it smile
I've had it 2-3 times, there are some good support groups on fb for GD. You will find yourself going through denial for a while and then sometimes anger. It's a bit of a roller coaster ride at 1st. Eat LOW GI and HIGH PROTIEN. Stay away from things made with white flour or starchy. Snack on skinny yoghurt, low fat cheese, peanuts, meats, muslie bars, 1-2 bits of low gi fruit.
Hey Jas, I had GD too and I was majorly stressed out when my midwife told me, and felt absolutely in the dark. Like 'oh hey, you have GD. expect a call from the hospital to set you up with a diabetes nurse in a few weeks ' and that was IT. So no support around what I should do, expect, and eat in the interim.

First of all - your fasting result is fine. Anything under 4 is great smile

Your result after 2 hours isn't great, it should be under 8. However 9.2 is still not that bad - after another 15 min or so it most likely would have been in normal ranges. So what I'm trying to say is yes you have GD, but its not too bad from the looks of your results. You may just be able to control it with diet.

The most important thing to remember (and Drs can forget to remind you about this) is that having GD is not your fault. its hormonal, and the likelyhood increases if you are heavier or an older mum but it can honestly happen to anyone. Your pregnancy is going to be really closely monitored and your baby is going to be safe. You will most likely need to monitor you blood sugars, its a PITA more than anything but you get used to it.

With food you need to stick to 'real' foods ie clean eating. Avoid sugarey foods and drinks. Don't eat more than one piece of fruit at a time. Keep bread/ pasta/ rice to a small cup size serving if you want to have it. Eat 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, veges should take up the biggest portion on your plate.

With your birth you may be more closely monitored than your others. But GD doesn't mean you will necessarily need a c sect or induction. I know a GD mumma who had an amazing homebirth. Not sure if that is what you are into but just to give you an idea lol

feel free to PM me with questions if you need, I know a lot of other ladies on here have been through it too so you will find lots of support on here.
I'm sorry to hear you've been diagnosed with GD, are there any nurses/your midwife who can give you more info? It sounds like you have some preconceived ideas about it that are probably making it more stressful. You don't have to have a family history of diabetes, or be overweight to get gestational diabetes. Being pregnant puts a huge strain on your body and make it hard for the pancreas to cope, and it can really happen to anyone, but some people are more predisposed. You haven't done anything wrong to "get it", it's just one of those things. The diabetes usually goes away after birth (quite quickly too I think), it is very uncommon for it to continue on as type 2 diabetes.

They will get you to manage it first with diet, and only use insulin if they really feel it's necessary. Diet may be enough, or there are tablets they can use before insulin.

I hope your appt goes well with the dietitian and puts your mind at ease. Just remember there's nothing you've done wrong smile

I didn't have it for ds1 but I did for ds2. Hopefully the dietician will be helpful, do you have to see a diabetes person also? She gave me some great info from diabetes sa. I'm on my phone so 'ant type anymore but the other girls had some great tips. All the best jas. I was so upset at first too. I actually have to have a follow up gtt soon, not looking forward to it.

Jas try not to stress. Yes, it's a complication of pregnancy and therefore can affect you or the baby, however most women are able to avoid or minimise these effects by monitoring their blood sugar levels and by sensible eating and weight gain. The diabetes educator will give you more specific info about eating, but the general idea is to avoid high sugar, high fat and refined wheats etc. So you're looking for wholemeal cereals and breads, avoiding starchy foods like potato and white flour. Try to have a slow release carbohydrate at each meal and if possible try to avoid having "big" meals. Also lots of people with diabetes have a sugar low overnight, so to avoid this, have a snack before bed - some wholemeal toast and a milo would be ideal. Another thing to avoid too much of is fruit because of it's naturally high sugar content.

It means a bit of stuffing around with your diet and the blood sugar monitoring isn't fun, but the good news is that most people can manage their diabetes well and have a healthy baby at the end.

Something else just to be mindful of is that sometimes babies born to mums with diabetes can have some low blood sugars after birth and need IV fluids with sugar and a few days in special care. Not telling you to worry you, just something that does sometimes happen to keep in mind and mentally prepare for

Follow my blog "Bed Rest for Baby" at http://www.babysteps1804.wordpress.com

Jas. wrote:
Thanks everyone, really appreciated the response..really do.

For breakfast, is it okay to have just Weetbix until it's lunchtime?

For lunch, should I change white bread to wholemeal? And is it OK to have wholemeal sandwich everyday for lunch with lettuce, tomato, cheese, cucumber and abit of mayo?

For snacks, how many fruits should I eat a day and what kind is OK to have?

As for dinner (super fussy), I alternate between Tuna pasta bake, Spaghetti with spag sauce and shredded cheese, home made burgers, Beef ravioli, Roast chicken, Mash potato with vegies (do I have to rule out mash now?) and so on.

Just worried it will be hard as I basically eat like a kid.

Also, is walking around the block 10mins a day enough exercise ? Dd goes on her bike and I'm usually knackered on the second lap!

Sorry for the questions, this is what I've been having lately and was curious to know if it's okay. unsure

Vitabrits is good for breakfast. I would always make sure I had a snack in the morning, especially as my mornings tended to be busy and I would make sure I packed a healthy snack if I was going to be out and about such as a be natural/carmens muesli bar or some nuts or an apple

Multigrain is better than wholemeal or white but bakers delight do a high fibre low gi white bread. Or try wholegrain wraps. definitely good to have some sort of protein on your sandwich

I would sometimes have 2-3 serves of fruit a day and according to my dietitian nothing was really ruled out (so I did eat grapes and watermelon) In one of the brochures I had it how much fruit = a serving and that helped a lot.

At dinner I think portioning of the carbs is the most important - like 1 cup pasta 2/3 cup rice. I found making stuff form scratch really helped and I would read the packaging lots to know what was in things. Bought spaghetti sauce always put me over! So I would make my own. I little bit of mash is ok, like the others said charisma potatoes or I would mix sweet pototo with normal spud.

I found keeping a little active after each meal helped as well (like your walk around the block) and even just staying standing/walking around like sweeping the floor or doing dishes etc as it helped to keep my BSL down

Good luck hun xx feel free to pm me if you want too

Jas. wrote:
So if I have mashed potato with veg, having hard boiled egg as a side dish is okay being protein?

How about white bread or wholemeal with curried egg?

Yep we have Bakers Delight near, but they are located in the big shopping centres. roll eyes

Nope don't like sour dough, never tried it actually. I eat only bananas and oranges from your list, but strawberries and apples are okay once a day right?

So sorry to bother everyone about this sad

Your'e not a bother jas

Curried egg sandwiches would be good - good protein

Berries are really good in terms of gi and can eat lots for one serve!!

Jas. wrote:
Thanks girls, I appreciate your help. I guess what will stress me out is when I do the blood prick test, the results will be high despite eating healthy which will just tip me over the edge.

I have never been so emotional than today, it's gut wrenching stuff. I'm trying not to stress, but it's hard. sad

xx

Please try not to stress!!!! ok!!!! If I got a high reading I would wash my hands again and retest just in case. and it's ok to have 1-2 higher readings per week. and don't forget it's ok to treat yourself a little. Like I would have a small fun size chocolate bar every 2-3 days but at a time of day when my BSL's were ok, mostly for supper or sometimes arvo tea. Write down questions for the dietitan/diabetes educator too.

When you speak to the nutritionist as part of your gd education they'll go through things like servings for different things to help work out what you can/can't have. It's not so much cutting things out but more looking at how much of things you eat. They'll talk about 'servings' of carbohydrates (which break down into sugars and is what your body's insulin helps to break down). Basically 1 'serve' of carbohydrates = about 15g of carbs. They recommend eating 6 times a day to help maintain a fairly stable blood sugar level - levels go up after eating then drop back down but if you go for too long between eating it starts to rise again - basically breakfast, morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, dinner and supper. For main meals you want to aim for between 3 and 4 serves of carbohydrates (so 45-60g) and for snacks more like 1 to 2 serves (15g to 30g).

You'll get used to checking the nutrition panels on things to check their carbohydrate amounts but PLEASE remember that when the nutrition panels are talking about serves it can mean different things between brands e.g. one type of bread I used to get said that a serve of bread was one slice and contained 17g of carbohydrates where another one said that a serve of bread was 2 slices and contined 30g of carbohydrates - if you didn't look at it properly you'd think the first one was better for you but by the time you had 2 slices of bread on your sandwich you'd had an extra 4g of carbs using the first type (ok it's not a huge difference but was something that made me realise just how careful you have to be when reading the panels).

Some basic rules of thumb I remember from having gd with all three kids is that 1/4 cup of cooked rice is a serve of carbs/ 1/3 cup of cooked pasta is a serve of carbs but remember that what you're having with the rice/pasta will probably also have carbohydrates in it so allow for the carbs across the whole meal when serving. Potato is ok in small serves but I think things like sweet potato is better (could be wrong, I don't like sweet potato so didn't really pay attention to that part). My dietician said a good rule of thumb was to divide my plate into 1/4's - 1 quarter for protein, 1 quarter for carbohydrates (potato, corn, bread etc) and the other 2 quarters for other vege/salads that didn't register as carbohydrates. She also suggested following close to the food pyramid stuff so it was 12-15 serves of carbs a day, with 2 serves of that being fruit, 3-5 being veg and the rest grains etc.

Be careful of things like juices, because they tend to contain more than one "piece" of the fruit in a glass they can be much higher in carbohydrates than just eating a piece of the fruit itself. For supper, my educator recommended something easy like a small glass of milk with milo in it. Obviously I couldn't have a heaped spoon of milo or a huge glass of milk (milk is a carbohydrate) but in moderation it was ok. I think about 1 cup of milk (250 ml?) was a serve of carbs.

Things like cheese is actually relatively carb free (the amount is so minimal that you'd have to eat a lot to really impact things), carrots, lettuce etc are carb free so you can bulk up your meals with those types of vegetables to help feel full. I started adding in carrot and celery sticks or cheese cubes to my snacks and even with the smaller serving sizes of things I didn't feel hungry.

It is often manageable just by diet, I was diet controlled with DD1 from 30 weeks, with DS from 12 weeks all the way through the pregnancy and diet controlled from 6 weeks with DD2 until about 30 weeks when I changed drs and my new dr had a lower fasting level than my old one. I ended up having a small dose of insulin at bed time to help keep my fasting levels under the new level but didn't need it through the day.

Sorry, that's probably information overload, and once you see your educator/dietician go by what they say rather than any info I've given as different drs/hospitals have different expectations but hopefully some of that is helpful in the meantime.

leisa.
Jas. wrote:
doublewammy wrote:
Please try not to stress!!!! ok!!!! If I got a high reading I would wash my hands again and retest just in case. and it's ok to have 1-2 higher readings per week. and don't forget it's ok to treat yourself a little. Like I would have a small fun size chocolate bar every 2-3 days but at a time of day when my BSL's were ok, mostly for supper or sometimes arvo tea. Write down questions for the dietitan/diabetes educator too.
I'm too scared to eat any sweets now, so no more choc, ice cream, biscuits etc for me.
Will do that before attending the session. How many times a day you have to test your blood and is it everyday until the end of pregnancy?

It was 4 times a day Jas, upon waking in the morning and then 2 hours after breakfast/lunch and tea. and yep everyday till the end. It sucks but you get used to it. My bubba wasn't big (7 pound 15)

Don't be too scared to eat any sweets, just maybe wait til you have your session and are testing. I found those small chocolates to be the best, I wouldn't eat any other lollies or anything. Also I would make sure I ate lots of the healthy things that I loved (like for me berries, avocado etc) which helped immesnsely.

Oh wow Jas, that must have been a bit of a surprise!
Glad you have found a website you understand well - hope your appt with the nutritionist goes well. smile
Sign in to follow this topic