Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Price of going private for a day?

Price of going private for a day? Lock Rss

I know this is a long shot because prices of going private for a day will differ from ob to ob across Australia but I'm just wondering as I have no idea. I plan to get figures at my first ob appointment as I'm not in a private health fund and have been a public patient for my first two babies. How many thousand are people paying to go private for just a day to have their baby?
Thanks in advance
Are you talking about a private hospital? Or just the cost of an ob to attend the birth?
It depends on what you mean, to give birth privately you will need to be an established patient of the obs. They generally won't just delivery your baby on the day, they would also need/want to do your post and prenatal care. Most do payment plans but you pay a birth fee plus your normal consultation fees. When I had my last in 2012, I paid $2200 as a birth fee (I was in labour 37 minutes so I felt a bit jipped -but you never know), then $75 per consultation. I got around $440 something back from Medicare, then $32 per consultation until I hit my safety net then I got most of it back. If you need cs in an emergency you would also need to pay for an anaesthetist, I have no idea how much, but probably thousands, my DH was out of pocket $400 last year and we are fully insured.

The cost of my local private hospital is $1450 a day plus theatre fees.

Did your obs indicate they would attend your delivery but not do pre/post care? I've never heard of that, but if you are low risk they might.

I was chatting to a friend who had her baby last year by elective cs and she was out of pocket $4200 in total with the out of pockets on doctors + her hospital excess. I would add around 60% to that if you are going the full hog. Of course, this is in my local town where obs are in short supply and there is only one private hospital so it might be more competitive in different states.

HappyHead wrote:
I'm fairly sure you wont be able to do this as you need to be their patient and pay a management fee prior to the birth, and actually dont see the point of getting a private ob to deliver your baby if you arent going to see them throughout your pregnancy (ie wont know them) plus you cant guarantee you will get them on the day anyway as they dont work 24/7 throughout the year - there's always a chance with going private that you will get their back up person.

You can do it it's called shared care, so you'd just see your GP for pre and post care and the ob would attend if there was a problem. Maybe the op will come back to update her thread and explain exactly what she's after.
Yeah, exactly. Never understood the point of shared care tbh.
Thanks so much for your replies! What happens here in my area is you have the option for shared care with GP, hospital midwives & the Ob you see all 3 throughout the pregnancy. If you choose to go public and all is fine with the pregancy you have just a midwife deliver the baby and if any problems occur such as stiches afterwards or theatre, you are seen to by who ever is rostered on and usually a lesser trained professional.

Going private for a day means (in my area) throughout the whole pregancy you use shared care and pay full fee when you see the ob (about 140) and I probably go twice during pregancy and once or twice after birth for check ups (paying full fee). But if iv chosen to go private for a day to have the cesaerien that's been recommended I pay an upfront fee to have my ob do the cesarian with a gaurentee that he will be the one planning it with me, doing the procedure and seeing me for the check up. Going public I'm told that someone in training may do the cesaerien and I will have checkups with who ever was rostered on meaning it won't be the ob who knows me and my history. Basically I wanto go private so I know I'm locked in with my ob to do the surgery & plan the whole thing with the ob who knows my history. Make sense?
Sign in to follow this topic