Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Can amniotic fluid leak like this? 34 weeks

Can amniotic fluid leak like this? 34 weeks Rss

So I'm 34 weeks exactly today and yesterday around 12noon i had a small gush of clear, no-smell watery fluid from my vajayjay. It drenched my undies and would have done the same to my trousers had i not whipped them off. (they are my favourite pants and i didn't want them dirty). Had nothing at all the rest of the day.

Today had a small gush very much the same, but I was sitting, and it wet my undies but didn't drench them, and my trousers got damp.. I've only had one more tiny leak of the clear fluid since then,but it only happens when I'm sitting.

I REALLY don't want to call my midwife because I've called them so much in the past month and gone up to the hospital to be checked for multiple things, so I feel like the BIGGEST worrywart if i have to call them again... Especially if i then have to say "No I'm not wet at the moment." because then I'll bet that they'll tell me everything's fine and to just come in the next time there's a gush... (I also don't want to wake our 2.8 year old if there's nothing wrong..)

So.. Can amnio fluid leak like this? Did anyone go through a similar thing, and what was it?
I was in labour with my daughter and only leaked water every now and then I didnt know it was my waters as with my son they just came from me and didnt stop until after he was born and wasnt lightly either but with her I would be fine then all of a sudden I would leak a fair amount then stop but since your still quite early I would definately get it checked I was early with my daughter so got it checked too but I was safe to deliver her
2peas&amum wrote:
I was in labour with my daughter and only leaked water every now and then I didnt know it was my waters as with my son they just came from me and didnt stop until after he was born and wasnt lightly either but with her I would be fine then all of a sudden I would leak a fair amount then stop but since your still quite early I would definately get it checked I was early with my daughter so got it checked too but I was safe to deliver her

Thank you for posting your experience. ^^ Oh... So it can happen.. :S I had both my waters with my other 2 stripped by the midwives/doctors so i haven't experienced a spontaneous membranes rupture before.. It would be ok to just get checked tomorrow though..?
Cooliana9 wrote:
2peas&amum wrote:

Thank you for posting your experience. ^^ Oh... So it can happen.. :S I had both my waters with my other 2 stripped by the midwives/doctors so i haven't experienced a spontaneous membranes rupture before.. It would be ok to just get checked tomorrow though..?
I had to have antibiotics with my daughter as I was leaking fluid for 24hrs as it can cause infection and harm bub so I would be going very early in the morn then
Definitely get it checked out. If your awake now call HEALTH DIRECT now it's a 24hr hotline talking to nurses. I was peeing my pants a lot as opposed to the membranes breaking but it's best to make the phone call esp when it's still earl days for you. Good luck.
*waves to Raspberry* ello ello.
Thanks ladies

Well, I've been keeping track of babys movements after they slowed down the day of the first gush (so Tuesday), but not by too much.. They slowed down/decreased again yesterday, but he was still moving enough to be in the normal range.

But last night he only kicked twice.. He always, every night the instant i lay on my left side, has HUGE exercise sessions.. So that was odd, maybe it was because i was getting big contractions..?

Woke up at 2am thirsty so drank 2 very tall glasses of water, went back to bed. No movement from baby. Woke up properly at 10 (about an hour ago) and he moved twice, not even big kicks... Even after i rolled over etc.. I always wake up to getting big kicks in the ribs and/or spine...

I know he could just be having a restful day, but I feel worried... So I ate some sweet sugary foods to see if he'd move after that.. Well 20 minutes later, he moved a few times and he had the hiccups. *phew* And now he's moving a lot. Yay!

I called the midwife to let her know what's going on with everything, (gushes etc) and she said it just sounds normal and like discharge and that babys movements generally slow down around 34 weeks... So why am I still worried!?
Haha, good point. wink

I know I had a couple with my DS (#2) but nothing else was going on when his movement slowed down, maybe it's just coincidence that this one started moving less just when I happened to get those gushes..

Suddenly felt wet again a few minutes ago and had a look, seems like my normal discharge, only a bit more watery, but there's alot more mucus-plug type mucus. I've had the biggest deep down gut feeling the past hour that baby will be here soon... It's just so frustrating not knowing how 'soon' that can mean.
Just repacked my bag and am now feeling quite relaxed... Apart from this sudden adrenaline/energy rush..
So, just felt really warm down there like i was peeing myself, only I'd just gone to the toilet. There was nothing in my undies, hardly even wet, so i wiped myself and had to half pull it out, some of my mucus plug (about 2 50c pieces worth, enough to fill the palm of my hand, definitely not discharge) but it was clear with milky white veiny things.. So i flushed it. Would've kept it and shown midwife but there was no blood in it so i figured, why bother? And there's more pressure...somehow.
This may sound yuck but your waters smell different from discharge or urine. Mine broke early in one big go at 36 weeks with #5 and it smelt different almost sweet.
That's what was confusing me about the gushes, It was certainly not urine, and was clear and watery, and smelled quite sweet. (waters with my last one smelled sweet too, and waters with first smelled like semen..no sweetness, but with my last 2 my waters were ruptured artificially, so i have yet to experience a spontaneous breakage) But when i spoke to the midwife she said it was normal and not waters cos if it were it'd keep leaking non stop... But im over that now, thinking more about the mucus.
Just got back from the Hospital. My bp is even lower..new record: 95/69. Trace of protein and moderate blood in my urine... So that's been sent off for testing. Cervix is soft but closed, and apparently i have thrush (or possibly another type of infection) at the very back/near the cervix. So swabs have been sent off for testing too... I think my body has just 'gone off the deep end' and is throwing 'fits'.. >.>
Sign in to follow this topic