Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. When/how did you tell your children your pregnant?

When/how did you tell your children your pregnant? Rss

I'm 9 weeks at the moment and I have a 5 year old DS. He doesn't know I'm pregnant yet as we're waiting until there's a low chance of miscarriage.

Just wondering when/how others told their children their pregnant? I was thinking of waiting until after my NT scan at 12 weeks but now leaning towards waiting until 20 weeks just in case.

What did you do?
For us our DD was two. We told her but she didn't really understand. As the pregnancy went on we had a heap of issues and she attended most of the appointments. She was there when we had ultrasounds etc. So by the time the twins were born she was aware of what was happening and everyone was telling her that she was lucky to be getting two siblings. She was great she adjusted really well and was just as excited as us when they arrived. She was not quite three when they arrived.

Good luck. Kids are very resilient. My pregnancy with the twins was not easy but she always saw the lighter side when things were going wrong. She gave us great support without even knowing it. Just by being herself.

I was 40 so we told step daughter (12) after 13 week NT scan, she was the first to find out..... aside from my boss incase i got sick at work

When I asked my daughter what she wanted for her birthday she responded that all she wanted was a baby sister. As my husband and I were a couple of weeks pregnant, we decided to tell our children on my daughter's birthday, which was 10 weeks into the pregnancy. We had had successful pregnancies before and no miscarriages and didn't think it would happen to us.
Sadly, the day before her birthday, I lost the baby. The silver lining for us was that we hadn't told our children.I can only imagine how traumatic that would have been.
I completely understand wanting to tell your children as early as possible - waiting that 10 weeks was very hard for me as I was so very excited and I knew my children would have been over the moon as well. Before you decide when to tell your existing child/ren, think first about what will happen if you lose the baby. If this does happen to you I can suggest googling "we were going to have a baby but we had an angel instead".
Happily, I am pregnant again and waiting until my obstetrician advises everything is on track after the 12 week scan - probably 14 weeks when they will notice I am showing.
Best wishes and good luck.
We told our DD when I was 5 weeks pregnant with the baby we lost - she was about a month away from 5 at the time and was devastated but as I got really sick and in hosp with that miscarriage Im glad she knew why. Plus she loves talking to her baby sibling in the sky and draws them pictures all the time.

With this pregnancy at first we decided to keep it quiet from her til 12 weeks but I had really bad m.s from 5 weeks and one day we just randomly decided we wanted to tell her - so think it was about 6/7 weeks? We just explained that hopefully this bub grows but she understood some dont. made it so special once we hit 12 weeks we all celebrated together!!!

I told DS when I was about 9 or 10 weeks. He likes the idea, since hes an only child, he has been begging me for years for a sibling lol

My girls are 6 and 8. We took them along to the ultrasound at 12 weeks. I made DH stay in the waiting room until I had seen a happy and healthy baby. Then we brought them in and he filmed their reaction. They were quite stunned but very excited. Now they are running around telling everyone. I made sure our appointment was on a Friday afternoon and we had a couple of reveal photos done the next morning. That way they couldn't spill the beans before we were completely ready. Lol.

Thanks for your replies - we've been trying for more than 4 years for this bub and my DS is always talking about how he wants a brother or sister so I really don't want to get his hopes up only to miscarry and not be able to fall pregnant again until he's 9!

We haven't told anyone yet as we want him to be the first to know... sooo hard to keep it a secret smile
Westy Mum wrote:
I'm 9 weeks at the moment and I have a 5 year old DS. He doesn't know I'm pregnant yet as we're waiting until there's a low chance of miscarriage.

Just wondering when/how others told their children their pregnant? I was thinking of waiting until after my NT scan at 12 weeks but now leaning towards waiting until 20 weeks just in case.

What did you do?

if you have that miscarriage issue... then wait until your tummy comes out and then let him know... coz by then you will also be pretty sure and your DS will also be excited to wait for a brother or a sister... smile
I waited until about 10 weeks to tell our son and daughter (12 and 8) they were really excited but sadly we lost the baby at around 16 weeks. I am now pregnant again ( 9 weeks) and i won't be telling the kids until after the nuchal.... i would really like to wait until 20 weeks but i am already looking pregnant and sick as a dog so i feel i should let them in on it sooner.
if you have that miscarriage issue... then wait until your tummy comes out and then let him know... coz by then you will also be pretty sure and your DS will also be excited to wait for a brother or a sister... smile[/quote]

I was planning on doing this too - Ive got a bit of a bump already! I think it may be bloat though and not so much the baby tongue
Zoehomfray wrote:
I waited until about 10 weeks to tell our son and daughter (12 and 8) they were really excited but sadly we lost the baby at around 16 weeks. I am now pregnant again ( 9 weeks) and i won't be telling the kids until after the nuchal.... i would really like to wait until 20 weeks but i am already looking pregnant and sick as a dog so i feel i should let them in on it sooner.

Sorry for your loss... It really is tricky trying to find the right time to tell, isn't it? When I had a miscarriage last time DS was too young to understand what was going on but this time he's much older. My NT scan is next week, DF and I have agreed to tell him after that.

I hope this pregnancy is uneventful for you smile
Sign in to follow this topic