Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Feeling baby move. Lock Rss

This is my first pregnancy so I have no idea what it feels like when the baby kicks. I'm 19 weeks as of today and I was just laying there watching some tv show, when all of a sudden I felt something.. I don't know exactly how to explain it. From what I've heard and read, apparently it feels like a fluttery feeling or something. It didn't exactly feel that way though.

Again, I don't know how to explain it. I just felt something like a poke, but felt like it was poking upwards, like out of the stomach. Also, it was above my belly button, so I don't know if it's even possible. I tried poking at my tummy to see if the baby would make a move but nothing.. Just my stomach making rumbling noises, as if I'm hungry. (Which I am but besides the point lol)

On another note, I should add.... Sometimes I get these random spasm things, like not long after I felt that in my stomach, I felt my arm do the same thing. Like it was just being poked.

So, what do you guys think that could have been? - I'm super eager to feel baby kick! I've been waiting for weeks.

Hey I am 20 weeks now & no feeling. It's hard isn't it??
Waiting for some sort of movement & thinking when there is if that was it?
Last night I felt these slight poking feelings only maybe 4 all in different spots of my belly. But I am unsure if it was anything so I didn't share it with babies dad.
One of my friends said all the first feelings are are as though you have gas and your tummy rumbles.. although some other people describe it as butterflies lol.
Plus being so late in pregnancy some people are saying to me are you feeling him move yet, you should be being 20 weeks. Which is pretty annoying & hurtful.
Hopefully you feel something soon!
It can start from anywhere from 13 week up until 25 weeks depending on which numner pregnancy you are at! It won't be as hard as a poke this early that may have been your tummy or even a muscle spasm like you said! Its kind of like butterflies at first like a weird swooshing feeling! I know that sounds odd, but you will know it when you feel it! Maybe not the first time but after feeling it a few times it will become clearer! Good luck should be soon smile

yeah first pregnancy is looking like dangerous but it has nice feeling made a mum.
I started feeling my little one at about 20 weeks. It didn't feel like butterflies to me, more like a little bubble popping. It is cute. I am 24 weeks now and it is stronger. I usually only feel the baby morning and night, not much in between. I now wait for the kicking - it's my reassurance. I was travelling all day yesterday so pretty bloated and uncomfortable and I didn't feel much for a while so I got quite panicky. I was ready to go to hospital. Now baby is kicking - thank god. I feel like an absolute worry wart at times. I'm so scared something will happen. Anyone else feel like this?
I like your bubble description! Those little poking feelings grew more common. They are so light though but i feel it every now and then more so if i sit or lay down. The bubbles popping suits it better rather then butterflies i have to agree. Because they appear and just dissappear i dont find that it flutters. I hope you feel something soon ?
They say that if its your first pregnancy movement will be later than if you have had several children. Also if your baby is bigger than it's "weeks of pregnancy" you will probably feel him/her move earlier, which is the case with me. I felt fluttery movements from around 19 weeks as he was estimated to be nearly 2 weeks beyond 19 weeks.

For example at the moment I'm 22 weeks and my bump is 25 cm, apparently your bump is meant to correspond with your weeks of pregnancy.

The first movements feel like when your going down a roller coaster, that fluttery/butterfly kinda feeling and then shortly you will feel when baby is moving around, changing positions. Like I know when baby is moving to my left which is where he seems to like to hang or just above my bladder...grrr.
Do the movements get consistently more frequent? I am 19 weeks and have been feeling popping or light spasm feelings for about a week now at night but they are always only once or twice.... should they be getting more frequent if they are movements?
My little movements I would feel sitting down at a desk for long periods of times, or laying on my back at night watching tv. I got use to him moving and he would slowly move more and more as the days went by. He has stopped for now I think he moved his position...
I think once you feel something and it keeps happening you feel quite confident and know it is him/her. smile
Ange_Seth wrote:
They say that if its your first pregnancy movement will be later than if you have had several children. Also if your baby is bigger than it's "weeks of pregnancy" you will probably feel him/her move earlier, which is the case with me. I felt fluttery movements from around 19 weeks as he was estimated to be nearly 2 weeks beyond 19 weeks.

For example at the moment I'm 22 weeks and my bump is 25 cm, apparently your bump is meant to correspond with your weeks of pregnancy.

The first movements feel like when your going down a roller coaster, that fluttery/butterfly kinda feeling and then shortly you will feel when baby is moving around, changing positions. Like I know when baby is moving to my left which is where he seems to like to hang or just above my bladder...grrr.

Not everyone feels the fluttery feeling.. Everyone is different. Like me, I never felt the fluttery feeling.

Kimmyb66 wrote:
Do the movements get consistently more frequent? I am 19 weeks and have been feeling popping or light spasm feelings for about a week now at night but they are always only once or twice.... should they be getting more frequent if they are movements?

You're only 19 weeks. As the baby grows, the movements will be more frequent.
I'm 21 weeks now and have noticed more movements since I posted this question.
Just gotta be patient.

It's a different feeling for everyone and can be different for different pregnancies. I found it took me a week or more to be sure what I felt was actually baby moving. (I was also paranoid about convincing myself that there was something happening there that wasn't, just because I was expecting to feel bubs move soon.)

I think it happens around the same time each pregnancy (depending on baby's size), but we learn to recognise what it feels like when baby moves so actually notice it sooner in future pregnancies. So even when it's the slightest of movements that we may only feel once and then not for a couple more days we still know it was baby moving, where it was such a slight feeling that was may have not even noticed that we felt anything at all, let a lone given it a second thought that it may have been baby moving in first pregnancy.

Sign in to follow this topic