Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Threatened miscarriage...how to cope with the unknown?

Threatened miscarriage...how to cope with the unknown? Lock Rss

Hi guys, this is my first post and first forum smile

I'm just over 5 weeks pregnant and I have been bleeding lightly for 3 days now. It's remained dark, my hormone levels were ok yesterday and I haven't had any cramping (just the odd twinge) so I'm trying to stay positive but I'm just not sure how to deal with not knowing what is happening.

My scan showed a sac but its too early to see much else so I have to wait another 2 weeks. We have a bad family history with miscarriage and problematic pregnancy so I think this is stressing me out more.

I feel guilty about stressing when I'm lucky to be pregnant still sad how do you take your mind off it?
Hi, I had a miscarriage recently at 6 weeks and it was my second pregnancy so no history of it.
I think the only thing you can do is try not to worry about things you can't control.
My obstetrician was amazing after my mc and I just found his honesty reassuring. A few things he said was that early mc happens to about 20% of women (that's recorded so its probably higher) so it's common and you certainly aren't alone. Of that 20% majority are one off miscarriages and most women will go on to have a healthy pregnancy next time.
You managed to fall pregnant so fertility isn't an issue which is great news.
I know they are just facts but it really help me see that this didn't mean anything terrible for the future.
Your increasing hcg is a really good sign (my hcg dropped when I started spotting and then turned to heavy bleeding after). There are heaps of other reasons you could be bleeding so I'm sure you Dr will keep an eye on it.
I hope you go on to have a healthy pregnancy. All the very best!

That is really upsetting to hear. I'm so sorry for your loss steph19 sad

I'm feeling a litle bit more positive today. My HCG is still going up but I'm still spotting so i'm off for another ultrasound this week and again late next week.

I was speaking to a midwife who mentioned it sounds like cervical erosion but I won't get my hopes up.

Fingers crossed I get some news on Thursday. At this point I will take ANY news!
i had a threatened miscarriage with my DS. I started spotting the day after my dating scan, went for another scan a week later due to the continued spotting then at 8 weeks had a sudden, large loss of blood. Went to the hospital where they said the blood was definitely coming from the womb but my cervix was still closed so that was a positive sign, although no guarantee. They sent me for another scan and at this one they did an internal scan and identified a subchronic haemotoma, kind of like a blood clot in the womb external to bub's sack and the bleeding I was experiencing was my body expelling the contents of that blood clot. I went on to have bleeding similar to the first day of af until I was 12 weeks pregnant when it just stopped and I went on to have a relatively normal pregnancy. Knowing what was causing it meant I didn't spend those 4 weeks completely freaked out, although I was still worried, just less than I was before I knew about the subchornic haemtoma. Until I experienced it I'd never even heard of it as a possibility but there are reasons for bleeding through pregnancy that aren't linked to miscarriage.

Hopefully you can get some information soon about what's happening.

Leisa.
I had a trip to the ER on Tuesday night with heavier bleeding and cramping. A scan showed a tiny flicker of a heartbeat and a bleed next to the sac. Hopefully my body just absorbs the bleed and I continue being pregnant.

I have a scan in a week's time to see what the bleeding is doing etc.

Fingers crossed!
Goodluck looks like something else is causing the bleeding?

Hi Maggie May
I know exactly how you are feeling we are in the same situation. I found out I was pregnant and 5 minutes later I started bleeding. Since then it has been doctors, blood tests and scans followed by one very scary hospital visit.
I have hope the blood is dark not bright red, and my friends and family have had similar experiences and they all have their babies.
I have decided to focus on the fact that I right now am pregnant I have a baby and I am beginning to prepare for that and I find that is helping, yes the scary thoughts creep in but I push them out with doing things like finding the stupidest baby names to freak my husband out wink.
I had another ER trip over the weekend with a fresh bleed but no cramping which is a good sign.

I've had another two scans since my first post and Squish is developing well despite two small peri gestational bleeds around/near the sac. I've pretty much spotted/lightly bleed consistently since my first post so I've been referred to the Early Pregnancy Unit for extra scans and blood test to monitor the bleeds. My elbows are a mess of bruises and I feel like a pin cushion!

Coming up to 9w now so fingers crossed things keep going well. I try not to get too attached to Squish but it's hard when it's literally attached to you. Keeping positive though smile
Sign in to follow this topic