Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Low dose aspirin until delivery?

Low dose aspirin until delivery? Rss

Hi there,

I am new to the community, this is my fifth pregnancy and first time posting, so thank you for taking the time to read this. smile

I am currently 10 weeks pregnant and have been taking low dose aspirin since 4 weeks because I have had 4 previous miscarriages. My GP told me sometimes blood can clot in the placenta causing a miscarriage and that taking the aspirin can thin the blood out and prevent the clotting. I wasn't sure if I should take it at first because I don't normally like to take any medication and would rather keep it natural, but after many days of research I have read that there are plenty of women out there taking low dose aspirin due to recurrent miscarriages.

I am due for an appointment with my fertility clinic in a few days and they are going to advise me on when I should stop taking the aspirin, but I am feeling nervous! I feel like after having the previous miscarriages and then taking the aspirin and having a healthy pregnancy so far (I have had a scan every week from 7 weeks and baby has a strong heartbeat and looks good), I don't want to stop taking the aspirin!

I was told by my GP that it won't harm the baby but the fertility clinic told me it was basically unnecessary if clotting hasn't been proven via a blood test and that I will probably be told to stop taking it at 12 weeks.

I have read that some women stop taking it at about 36 weeks, does anyone know why it can't be taken until delivery? I mean, who's to say the woman might not go into labor at 35 weeks, she would have been taking the aspirin until then so I'm not really sure why women are told to stop taking it before giving birth.

I am pretty much convinced that I want to take the aspirin until delivery after reading some women had a stillborn two weeks after they stopped taking it, but if taking it until delivery poses a risk to myself by perhaps losing too much blood or whatever the reason may be, I feel like I have to choose between possibly losing by baby due to clotting or causing myself harm because I took aspirin for too long.

Sorry, if I should extremely neurotic right now, but I just don't want to go through the pain of losing another baby. Any information would be greatly appreciated from anyone who's experienced taking aspirin until delivery or knows why it's not normally advised.

Thank you!
I took 1/2 an aspirin though my pregnancy with my twins with advice from my doctor. I had a very complicated pregnancy and I was taking it to thin the blood and to help blood flow. I took it right up to when my twins were born but they were born at 34 weeks I went into spontaneous labour. My understanding is that the aspirin thins the blood so they are concerned when you give birth that clotting will not happen and you may have excessive blood loss.

I understand you concern. But I think that your best bet is to explain you concerns to your doctor/care giver and find out what they recommend. At least then you can make an informed decision and they may be able to alleviate your concerns.

Good luck.

me+hub+3 wrote:
I took 1/2 an aspirin though my pregnancy with my twins with advice from my doctor. I had a very complicated pregnancy and I was taking it to thin the blood and to help blood flow. I took it right up to when my twins were born but they were born at 34 weeks I went into spontaneous labour. My understanding is that the aspirin thins the blood so they are concerned when you give birth that clotting will not happen and you may have excessive blood loss.

I understand you concern. But I think that your best bet is to explain you concerns to your doctor/care giver and find out what they recommend. At least then you can make an informed decision and they may be able to alleviate your concerns.

Good luck.

Thank you for your reply. smile I will for sure see what the doctor has to say and will explain my concerns. I guess doctor knows best despite what I think or believe, so whatever she says I will have to do and at the end of the day, I will just have to keep telling myself if anything bad happens, it's not my fault.
Oh wow, that is awful, i can't imagine losing one, let alone four! sad
I have been put on low dose asprin in this pregnancy, my third, and like the previous poster it is to help the blood flow to baby.
In my previous two pregnancies my babies have stopped growing and we have had to be induced, no.1 on 0 centile and no.2 on 3rd centile.
I was pretty anti going on it, but like you after plenty of research it seems the right thing to do.
Even if u are advised you don't need to take it from 12 weeks, yr ob would probably let u keep on it for yr own peace of mind, it doesn't seem to cause any harm and helps baby reach a better weight by helping the placenta fix deeply and allow the blood to flow more freely.
Fingers firmly crossed this one stays put for you.
Xx

I dont know that much about taking it during pregnancy, but as for stopping it at 36 weeks - I'd say this is primarily due to the risk of excessive blood los during birth or surgery.
Just an update. I went to the fertility clinic today for my appointment as they are following my pregnancy. The fertility clinic weren't the ones who prescribed me the low dose aspirin, it was my GP and the doctor I got today seemed quite shocked that I was taking the aspirin. He told me they don't practice that at their clinic and wouldn't recommend low dose aspirin during pregnancy because it can cause bleeding during the early weeks and recommended I stop taking it.

He said ultimately it's up to me if I decide to stop taking it but that if I do, I need to stop at 36 weeks because if I take it until delivery I will lose a significant amount of blood which could be dangerous. Basically he told me it's not necessary to take the low dose aspirin as there's not enough scientific proof that it helps women who have suffered from recurrent miscarriages.

I came out of the appointment confused as to why my GP told me to take the aspirin and conflicted about if it's the reason for my healthy pregnancy after reading so many articles about women who have had healthy pregnancies after taking it. I have some decisions to make, I may just stay on the low dose aspirin for my own piece of mind so I can enjoy my pregnancy without thinking the worst. Baby is healthy so far, I had a scan today (all 15 seconds of it) and apparently the heart had a strong beat and baby was moving around, although I didn't see that seeing as the scan was so quick, I did get a photo to take home with me though so that was nice. Crossing my fingers to hope baby keeps growing. smile
Sign in to follow this topic