Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Pregnancy & Birth
  4. Your Pregnancy
  5. Iron content of pregnancy vitamins

Iron content of pregnancy vitamins Lock Rss

I have just had my 28wk blood test done and the Dr rang me to say that i need to start taking an iron supplement as im realy low. So i had a bit of a read about iron and i found out that i should be getting 36mg per day, which is alot, but my pg vits only have 2.5mg in them, although i take two a day. i have purchased an iron sup that has 5mg and are taking 3 a day. the rest i should be getting from my food.
My question is: How much iron is in your vitamins? am i just taking the one with the lowest levels? Or is 2.5mg about average. Im taking the Blackmores pregnancy and breastfeeding vit. and also drinking O.J. with them as oj helps the body obsorb iron.

Teagan 7, Ryden 4, Tayla 3 and Me&Dh 35

Hey! They always check my iron in every blood test as i am very anaemic and have a blood clotting disorder. The last time they checked it, it's getting better cos i've been taking Breastfeeding and pregnancy tablets as well as ferro-grade C iron tablets with the vitamin C in it... It takes a while for iron levels to go up so ive been told but i suppose eating lots of greens are good too !
You should talk to your doctor. A lot of chemist / supermarket vitamins only offer a minimum amount of iron. There are iron tablets that are very good that need to be prescribed. I had major blood loss (non pregnancy related) a couple of years ago and got these prescribed. My sister also had the same tablets when she was pregnant and had low iron. Sorry I can't remember what they are called.
Also remember that sometimes the problem isn't the amount of iron you take in but the fact that your body isn't absorbing it. You need to be taking Vitamin C as well to help absorb the iron.

Karen & Blake (8/11/2006)

Sign in to follow this topic