Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Newborn Nappies

Learn More

Natural Birth Control Rss

Has anyone heard of LAM (Lactation Amenorrhoeh Method) and what have you heard??

I have been tolled it is 98-99% effect (better then the pill) As long as you follow these 3 guidelines.

1. that baby is less then 6 months old
2. mother has had no period
3. mum is fully breastfeeding (no water or solids)

This is apparently all to do with a hormone called prolactin which is activated by nipple stimulation.

Can anyone tell me more or has anyone used this method....

Thanks

Lee,QLD,18/12/02 baby girl 26/09/05 baby boy

I have heard of it and I know quite a few of my friends from my mothers group that have used it and all of them have fallen pregnant!! We found out at our antenatel sessions that it doesn't matter in any way at all, you need to use proper contraception or else you will fall pregnant easily. I thought the same thing as you - I hadn't had my period and was fully breastfeeding at the start so I thought great - I needn't worry, but 3 weeks later my girlfriends who were the same as me were pregnant. If I were you I wouldn't risk it but good luck and let me know how you get on.

Janine, Vic, 6 mth old girl

I have also heard of this, but didn't know thats what it was called. I was told by my doctor that you are only about 80% covered by breastfeeding. And yes i have also heard of women getting pregnant using this method (i was in hospital with a lady who had just given birth & also had an 11 month old)
The mini pill is available from your doctor it does not protect as much as the regular pill but contains nothing that can harm your babyor your milk supply. But remember it doesn't protect you as much so if you stop breastfeeding or cut down on feeds, remember to get the regular pill or use other forms of contraception. AND ITS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY!!

Mother of Reece - 24/01/03

my friends doctor said that too but only if you are feeding around the clock too, ie several nigth feeds.

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

You could Ring Centacare on 1800800517 they may be able to give you more information. I have used Natural family planning and know it does work, but what I did'nt know until my darling Logan was conceived, was that you can ovulate twice in one month - all the signs were there that I was fertile but as I had ovulated 6 days before hand I that I couldn't be again I was wrong .... but I'm so glad to have Logan now and I think children will find a way if they want too!!!! no mater what form of contraception you use as I know of many people who have conceived using other methods.
LAM is not highly effective on it's own, however combined with the mini-pill which is safe to take while breastfeeding, it offers the same level of contraception as the standard pill. Lack of periods does not mean you haven't ovulated. When my first son was 8 months old we decided to try for another one to be close together. My menstral cycled had not returned but it took less than a month to fall pregnant.

Michelle, Townsville Qld, 8y, 21mth,16wk

I am desperate to find a birth control product that works for me. Since I’ve had my baby girl I’ve tried about 6 different types of the ‘pill’ all of them gave me varying degrees of side-effects ranging from daily spotting, heavy bleeding, daily vomiting & mood swings that send me crazy. I’ve tried a ‘Implanon’ which made me bleed continually for 3months which nearly killed me, after which I had to take the strongest ‘HRT’ medication to stop the bleeding. I can’t use condoms because I’ve had a 3rd degree tear with a lot of scaring so condoms make sex simply too painful. I don’t breast feed because I had a huge ‘mastitis’ infection so I can’t use that for birth control. So now I really don’t know what to do, because no matter what I use or don’t use a have non-stop bleeding or spotting.

My gyon is now telling me that I should have a ‘Mirena’ (IUD) implanted into my uterus.

Has anyone had one of these things put in? If so did it work?
Any feedback would be great ~ Thanks
hi iceous well i am going to get the mirena put in after i give birth to my second baby which is due in december i looking at this because i cant take the pill and i have become pregnant while taking it twice now so i am not going to take the risk again and both my gyno and gp have reccomended the mirena after bub's is born and i am also looking for something abit more permanent so hopefully this will all go well when i have it put in i have been researching about it and it goes in for 5 years you can have spotting for up to 2 weeks after having it inserted but then after that some people dont get periods all together while having it in and the mirena is nothing like the iud's years ago but i would also be very interested in hearing stories from peaople who have or have had one and iceous would really be interested in knowing how you go if decide to get the merina.
Hi Mums

A friend of mine was exclusively breastfeeding her 3 1/2 month old baby every three hours and still fell pregnant. I have heard other stories of people falling pregnant while breastfeeding more frequently. Personally I wouldn't rely on it.

I think that once your baby is taking longer in between feeds at night the risk of ovulation starting again becomes higher.

Kristi

4 lovely munchkins DD 10/03, DD 03/05, DS 10/06 &

Sign in to follow this topic